• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... that "cool robot people" is from the game or Dan's replacement?

Dan's replacement.

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... did the person asked for "all of this" before or after some injury resulting in amputation?

No, he never asked for it. At any point.

Hmm? If cyborg implants need a special and expensive drug to maintain synchronisation with the body, I doubt the whole cyborg implants thing would be sustainable.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Hmm? If cyborg implants need a special and expensive drug to maintain synchronisation with the body, I doubt the whole cyborg implants thing would be sustainable.

Barring artifical influences, as production of the drug ramps up and improves, the cost of the drug would eventually fall, like with most technologies and pharmaceuticals (actually the main cost point of most drugs is covering the cost of researching the drug. Once the patent expires, inexpensive generic brands generally follow, at least for drugs that have enough demand that the generic pharma companies can justify the cost of setting up production)

Uh, yeah, dystopia (and also utopia). Doy.

Both statements can be intersecting: Aesthetically cool while something that should not be idolized. Now, how comically large are those picket signs?

27 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Depends on how useful the cyborgs are.  If one cyborg could do the work of a million-dollar load-lifter, and the cost of the drug were comprable to salary for a trained operator, then it would come down to cost and life expectancy of the implants versus cost and durability of the equipment being replaced....plus how flexible the cyborg is versus how versatile the equipment.

The narrator informs us that Borgrace did not ask to become a "cool robot person".

Borgrace insists she did ask for the augmentation.

I wonder if the transformation process alters the mind of the subject in such a way that the completed cool robot person believes that he or she asked for robotification regardless of what the original squishy person may have desired or requested?

6 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Barring artifical influences, as production of the drug ramps up and improves, the cost of the drug would eventually fall, like with most technologies and pharmaceuticals (actually the main cost point of most drugs is covering the cost of researching the drug. Once the patent expires, inexpensive generic brands generally follow, at least for drugs that have enough demand that the generic pharma companies can justify the cost of setting up production)

Once the patent expires, yes. However, in a typical cyberpunk dystopia setting, mega-corporations tend to have government in their pocket, so the patent rights might be extended more or less indefinitely. Look up Martin Shkreli for an idea of what happens when a patent is unassailable.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I wonder if the transformation process alters the mind of the subject in such a way that the completed cool robot person believes that he or she asked for robotification regardless of what the original squishy person may have desired or requested?

Not in the normal Deus Ex world, no. Maybe in Dan's version?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The narrator informs us that Borgrace did not ask to become a "cool robot person".

Alternately, more prosaically, Grace of Borg says she did ask for the augmentation simply because she decided to play the game. In a way, that is asking for it.

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect it's Grace the player saying that she asked for that because she selected it in character creation or something.

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Alternately, more prosaically, Grace of Borg says she did ask for the augmentation simply because she decided to play the game. In a way, that is asking for it.

... ninja'd.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

However, in a typical cyberpunk dystopia setting, mega-corporations tend to have government in their pocket, so the patent rights might be extended more or less indefinitely.

You mean something like the copyright on Mickey Mouse?

(In typical cyberpunk dystopia, mega corporations don't even pretend governments have any relevance.)

47 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect it's Grace the player saying that she asked for that because she selected it in character creation or something.

as far as i was aware, DX: Human Revolution doesn't have much in the way of character creation. Adam Jensen is more or less the same person no matter how you play him.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(In typical cyberpunk dystopia, mega corporations don't even pretend governments have any relevance.)

You can get very similar results If the governments nationalize all the corporations or if the corporations buy out the governments.

The word you are looking for is "laissez-faire". Plus, is it not what some parts of the world do today anyway?

Yet, I have not seen a (true) brand of drink in EGS-verse. Gerhman Lab does not count.

On 6/30/2016 at 2:43 AM, ijuin said:

Once the patent expires, yes. However, in a typical cyberpunk dystopia setting, mega-corporations tend to have government in their pocket, so the patent rights might be extended more or less indefinitely. Look up Martin Shkreli for an idea of what happens when a patent is unassailable.

Turing/Shkreli didn't actually have a patent (if they had, it probably wouldn't have been as much an issue, since people kind of accept that new drugs are going to have limited availability); what happened was they bought up all the generic manufacturers, knowing that due to the limited market, it wouldn't be cost-effective for anyone to jump through the hoops needed to put out a new generic.

7 hours ago, Stature said:

Yet, I have not seen a (true) brand of drink in EGS-verse. Gerhman Lab does not count.

This got me thinking...

In the alternative timeline that is the EGS Universe, the Cola Wars barely avoided becoming a global thermonuclear exchange.  The treaty ending the conflict left both Coca Cola and Pepsi hobbled and castrated.  Labels were required to emphasize flavors and ingredients and downplay manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In the alternative timeline that is the EGS Universe, the Cola Wars barely avoided becoming a global thermonuclear exchange.  The treaty ending the conflict left both Coca Cola and Pepsi hobbled and castrated.  Labels were required to emphasize flavors and ingredients and downplay manufacturer.

Hence the truly Pharaonic cola with high alligator content and a bite to it, Croco-Cola.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Hence the truly Pharaonic cola with high alligator content and a bite to it, Croco-Cola.

Are you kidding?  Carbonation is the WORST thing for the taste and texture of a crocodile based beverage.

But for breakfast on a chilly morning, it is hard to beat a steaming mug of hot crocolate. 

21 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You can get very similar results If the governments nationalize all the corporations or if the corporations buy out the governments.

I'm sure the megacorporate lawyers are saying that. The difference is that governments answers to people. Corporations answers to shareholders. The answering might not be sincere - in BOTH cases - but the difference is still there.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Are you kidding?  Carbonation is the WORST thing for the taste and texture of a crocodile based beverage.

But for breakfast on a chilly morning, it is hard to beat a steaming mug of hot crocolate. 

Depends. I prefer crofé au lait.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure the megacorporate lawyers are saying that. The difference is that governments answers to people. Corporations answers to shareholders. The answering might not be sincere - in BOTH cases - but the difference is still there.

if the government in question is totalitarian, or a dictatorship, or both, the people they answer to are often fewer in number (or just one person) and likely more self centered than megacorp shareholders...

13 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

if the government in question is totalitarian, or a dictatorship, or both, the people they answer to are often fewer in number (or just one person) and likely more self centered than megacorp shareholders...

I can assure you that in totalitarian government, EVERYTHING is done  for the welfare of the people. At least according to all legal media. Also, election are often won with 100% votes. (Sure, the vote usually have just that one option and absence from election might be reason for persecution or even criminal act. But officially, it's still will of people.)

And I remember few dictatorships with elections as well. (Probably not exactly free elections, but ...)

That's what I meant with not answering sincerely.