• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

NP: Friday, July 8, 2016

57 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I conclude that the author hasn't read Neuromancer.

Let's imagine there are also people on this board who haven't read that particular book, and explain what you're talking about to them....

57 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Let's imagine there are also people on this board who haven't read that particular book, and explain what you're talking about to them....

Molly a cybernetically augmented character, has implanted mirrored lenses to protect her expensive enhanced eyes.

The defining, if not seminal anthology of cyberpunk, which many video games try to capture the feel, if not the ethos of, is named Mirrorshades. Cool sun glasses are part and parcel of the cyberpunk look and feel, and are as important to the gestalt of the movement as six guns and Stetsons are to the American western mythos. It is almost impossible to conceive of a work with in the genre that doesn't have cool sunglasses at least as a minor scene setting element.

It has dawned on me that many of you were not born when Mirrorshades was published and may not know about the founding elements of the games you are playing. This makes me a bit sad.

5 hours ago, Howitzer said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=483

Yeah, embedding easily breakable glass into your body doesn't seem very smart.

Glasses can and are being made to be shell fragment proof today and are standard issue to combat troops on the US Army.

Give Corning a few more years to tweak Gorilla Glass and the glass part of your face is going to be the unbreakable part, unlike that crunchy bone bits.

Seriously. No one ever says the stuff is glass. Why do people always assume transparent things are fragile and going to break in science fiction settings? It's using future tech! It's probably stronger than the non-transparent stuff! It would be safer if they made everything out of the transparent stuff! (probably more expensive, though)

21 minutes ago, Random Wanderer said:

...Why is there no delete post option? And why can't I see my text when I edit posts?

Welcome to the new forum.  Depending on you platform there is a fix for the invisible text in edit mode.  Failing that going to HTML mode sorta works.

2 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

...Why is there no delete post option?

There is no delete post since back then, I am sure.

So, welcome to this world.

Allegedly this, but my Android device isn't powerful enough to actually use the editor/post anything, so I can't really check.

Edit: sure enough, Fennec Firefox isn't loading the editor, leaving "REQUIRED" directly over "Reason for edit".

56 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Allegedly this, but my Android device isn't powerful enough to actually use the editor/post anything, so I can't really check.

Edit: sure enough, Fennec Firefox isn't loading the editor, leaving "REQUIRED" directly over "Reason for edit".

I assume mine is.  I'll give it a shot later this after noon.

9 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

Seriously. No one ever says the stuff is glass. Why do people always assume transparent things are fragile and going to break in science fiction settings? It's using future tech! It's probably stronger than the non-transparent stuff! It would be safer if they made everything out of the transparent stuff! (probably more expensive, though)

Yeah, has anyone here read Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age"? That story takes place in a world of nanotechnology where, among other things, synthetic diamond is cheaper than conventional glass.

9 hours ago, Stature said:

There is no delete post since back then, I am sure.

So, welcome to this world.

Ever since the old forums, the one 'Delete' option has been to message the moderator (me) and ask the lazy sod to do it. Which you should all feel free to, I really don't mind.

3 hours ago, HarJIT said:

Fennec Firefox 

AAWWWWW!!!

Seriously, have you seen fennec foxes?  Have you seen how adorable they are?

From the name, I'd guess Fennec is a smaller version of Firefox, designed for smaller devices with fewer resources?

35 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

AAWWWWW!!!

From the name, I'd guess Fennec is a smaller version of Firefox, designed for smaller devices with fewer resources?

It's the informal name of the product marketed as "Firefox for Android".

54 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

AAWWWWW!!!

Just for the record, Red Pandas are called, some times, Fire foxes.

They don't need any help in being adorable.

Red_Panda_in_a_Gingko_tree.jpg

My issue is that there is no reason that you couldn't just put the sunglasses into the eyes as well. And all you have to do is make them out of the same material as the rest of the augmented stuff in people's eyes.

If it's an aesthetic thing, then why not have them actually do something?

All this being said, in all sci-fi settings, whenever somebody comes up with something fancy and new, it's never too long before somebody else figures out how to smash that thing very effectively.

But of course, the game already makes that point well enough already.

18 hours ago, weirdee said:

All this being said, in all sci-fi settings, whenever somebody comes up with something fancy and new, it's never too long before somebody else figures out how to smash that thing very effectively.

But of course, the game already makes that point well enough already.

Not just sci-fi settings, it happens in real life too, someone makes something with the intention of being a benefit to people and someone will use it for harm instead.