• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

There is a lack of good EGS fanfic out there, which is a bleeding shame because the world Dan's given us is WAY too fun to not be explored in writing. This topic, then, is both to catalogue the joy that is Shivefics, and to encourage forumgoers to write their own!

Just one caveat - please LINK to fanfics, rather than posting them here. Discussion of said fics is still cool. An Archive Of Our Own is a good place for completed works (as well as the venerable Fanfiction.net); for WIPs, may I suggest Pastebin?

FICS:

-Raven's Thoughts, by LoreWren. http://archiveofourown.org/works/311446 - A prose version of one of the 4th wall mail slot comics. If you like Mr. Raven, you'll like this. G-rated.

-Silly EGS One-Shots, by yours truly. http://archiveofourown.org/works/5312912/chapters/12266816 - This one's a what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Presently sitting at five one shots, PG-13 at the worst.

-First Contact, by scriptdragonslayer. http://archiveofourown.org/works/5070703 - About Susan's OCD and overcoming it. Susan/Elliot, light shippiness. G-rated.

And now, for those that have not yet seen it (and hopefully to spur discussion and writeyness): 50 EGS FANFIC PROMPTS.

1. Grace turns evil. Sort of. Kind of. A little. 
2. Sarah turns evil. Sort of. Kind of. A little.
3. Susan turns evil. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL.
4. Jeremy’s day out.
5. Tedd’s date night.
6. A day at the video store with Tensaided.
7. An episode of the Review Show goes… off script.
8. The TF gun breaks down.
9. Vladia starts working at the comic shop.
10. Hedge starts working at the theater.
11. Guineas starts working IN HOLLYWOOD.
12. The Demonic Duck waits in line at a convenience store.
13. Pandora waits in line at a convenience store. Although she does not have to.
14. A remarkably quiet day at the office for Mr. Verres.
15. Grace gets driving lessons.
16. Justin and/or George deal with a fanboy.
17. Nanase and Ellen ponder whether they’re getting too ‘Scooby-Doo’.
18. Elliot gets a goldfish.
19. Someone reprogrammed the TF gun. Badly.
20. Diane and Rhoda dance around the topic of magic, refusing to talk about it directly.
21. Catalina JACKASSes someone who deserves it quite a bit.
22. A discussion devolves into a sissy slap fight… again.
23. Sarah’s webcomic gains an unexpected fan following.
24. Jerry’s last thoughts before the end.
25. Susan takes a lesson from Sensei Greg. 
26. Two characters critique a very bad romance novel.
27. Two characters critique a badly written El Goonish Shive fanfic.
28. Amanda and Dr. Germahn meet Tedd on the bus. 
29. Raven and Noah go to the zoo.
30. A ship you enjoy falls apart in a remarkably civil manner.
31. A ship you dislike comes together in a way that makes sense.
32. The true story of how Lord Tedd came into power. 
33. Justin’s sparring match ends unexpectedly.
34. Inopportune times for involuntary shapeshifting.
35. Tedd and Elliot go on a road trip.
36. Dinner time at the Dunkel household.
37. Date night turns into WACKY MISADVENTURE night. Again.
38. Truth or dare occurs, and gets out of hand immediately.
39. Susan gives us five reasons never to play Truth or Dare with her friends.
40. Ashley tries to dodge the notoriety that comes with the “Griffin Incident”.
41. Winter means cold, and cold means snuggling for warmth.
42. Rich and Larry discuss public figures that are TOTALLY aliens.
43. Sensei Greg and Dex dissect an anime together.
44. Other uses for fairy dolls.
45. Dan and Minion do something DIABOLICAL.
46. An argument over a video game turns into transformation inspiration.
47. Tedd invents something mundane. 
48. Grace and Sarah ponder an inane school assignment. 
49. SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCE!
50. “Why is there a wand in this box?”

The Pundit: I do not wish to come across as a killjoy, but it has been an old rule here that we do not post fan fictions directly on these forums due to a request from Dan himself. He would prefer not to read them even inadvertently. It is, however, okay to link to them off site as long as the link is clearly marked as leading to fan fiction.

-- the Moderator

The Pundit: In general terms, yes. The reason Dan didn't want fanfiction on these forums was due to legal issues. He didn't want to run into the problems of someone claiming that he had used their ideas. So specific plot points should be kept vague/off site.

-- the Moderator

If you want to see a rather impressive collection of webcomic fanfic, take a look at the Wapsi Square Fanart subforum. It's mostly fanfic, many of them collaborative. A few of the most recently completed ones have been bundled as PDFs; one of them runs about 500 pages. The canonical comic is really just a jumping-off point.

(I've contributed... let's see... a sentence to the 500-page one; the concept and second half of an addendum to another one; and I'm the main author of one that is currently in slow progress.)

Addendum: This post contains a recommended-order-of-reading list for the (31, including the two the original list-builder left out) Wapsi fanfics. I will mention that if you haven't read the comic, the first one won't seem to have much of a point. It's an author-insert of the writer visiting Minneapolis and encountering some of the locations and characters that are canonical in the comic but don't necessarily exist in reality.

On 3/8/2016 at 1:44 AM, The Old Hack said:

The Pundit: In general terms, yes. The reason Dan didn't want fanfiction on these forums was due to legal issues. He didn't want to run into the problems of someone claiming that he had used their ideas. So specific plot points should be kept vague/off site.

-- the Moderator

Sounds like he's taking his cues from Greg Weisman.

52 minutes ago, AFNB said:

Sounds like he's taking his cues from Greg Weisman.

More than Weisman.  Star Trek writers had been doing that for decades for the same reason.  Too many loons who sue because someone wrote a story/movie/song that happened to be similar to what they wrote but was never read/heard by the people being sued.

It's just good legal sense, unfortunately.

On 3/9/2016 at 5:21 PM, Stature said:

You know what they say, "Some wreak havoc, while some wreak sitcom-like events."

Dang skippy. 

14 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

More than Weisman.  Star Trek writers had been doing that for decades for the same reason.  Too many loons who sue because someone wrote a story/movie/song that happened to be similar to what they wrote but was never read/heard by the people being sued.

Eh. That's why I put the disclaimer on One-Shots that I did - to wit, if Dan ever trips over one of my story ideas, I understand that it's purely coincidence. 

15 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

This is why game companies and game developers beg people to NOT give them game ideas. Game Devs do NOT want to hear your ideas...they can't legally risk it.

I thought I'd heard that Star Trek was one of the few shows which would read spec scripts?  They had someone assigned to the slush pile who wasn't involved in writing the regular scripts, or something like that.  Or do I have them confused with some other show?

4 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

Didn't he write something about Martian Flatcats?

That was Heinlein. Mind you, Heinlein did have a word with Gerrold and basically gave the okay to the Trouble with Tribbles script. Unfortunately, due to some sort of misunderstanding there was a copyright problem afterwards anyway.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That was Heinlein. Mind you, Heinlein did have a word with Gerrold and basically gave the okay to the Trouble with Tribbles script. Unfortunately, due to some sort of misunderstanding there was a copyright problem afterwards anyway.

If memory serves me properly, it was Gene Coon (producer of the original Star Trek) who Heinlein spoke with.  Coon smoothed everything over, but Heinlein asked for a copy of the script (souvenir, not legal thing), and Coon had Gerrold sign it.  Gerrold had read "The Rolling Stones" (Heinlein's story) long ago, but thought he was retelling the "Rabbits in Australia" story and did not consciously try to plagiarize Heinlein.

(Still have a copy of "The Trouble with Tribbles",the book Gerrold wrote about the making of the episode... :)   It, along with Gerrold's "The World of Star Trek" are great looks into the environment of the television industry)

And to bring it back to topic, just because someone has the same idea as you doesn't mean that they stole it.  

Doesn't mean they didn't, either...

4 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

And to bring it back to topic, just because someone has the same idea as you doesn't mean that they stole it.  

As long as you're not foolish enough to actually *say*, "Yeah, I ripped off a couple of old Outer Limits epidodes...."

But that's a different franchise!

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

As long as you're not foolish enough to actually *say*, "Yeah, I ripped off a couple of old Outer Limits epidodes...."

But that's a different franchise!

"Good artists copy.  Great artists steal!"
--Greg Land

So, um, I just started a fic, and I was wondering if i'm doing Okay with it so far.

It's still a bit short... And i'm kinda terrible at consistent characterization... But hopefully the premise is at least interesting?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11861012/1/Ballad-of-Ted-The-search

Also, 

On 3/8/2016 at 10:59 PM, Zee McZed said:

44. Other uses for fairy dolls.

Depending on who's using them? Grenades.

18 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

So, um, I just started a fic, and I was wondering if i'm doing Okay with it so far.

It's still a bit short... And i'm kinda terrible at consistent characterization... But hopefully the premise is at least interesting?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11861012/1/Ballad-of-Ted-The-search

Well, my first bit of feedback is that our Tedd is named Tedd and not Ted....should be an easy thing to fix!