• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story: Monday July 11, 2016

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Nothing says this occurred on the EGS-Prime side of the earth...

... except the fact both Adrian and Pandora are on this side of Earth now. But, well, yes, it IS possible Pandora changed side of universe ... so far, nothing she's done is specific enough to tell what set of rules she was bind by.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Speaking of the rules, it's already sort of implied that immortals aren't supposed to have kids with mortals. So maybe when Adrian told Grace half-immortals "cannot" have children he was telling something less than the whole truth.

It's not common, but if it would be forbidden, other immortals would already interfered. Also the fact there are specific rules for what half-immortals are allowed to do suggests that their existence is allowed.

But yes ... half-immortals having children MIGHT be forbidden ...

58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Half-Immortals could also be infertile "mules" too...

7 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Half-Immortals could also be infertile "mules" too...

That was basically the previous hypothesis. Yes, both are possible: half-immortals are either incapable of having children or forbidden to have them.

4 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

If this is 1600 or earlier, as pandora's age would suggest, you're lucky to live past your 50s.

Actually if you made it to 20 your odds of a "normal" human lifespan was pretty good.  What brings down the average life expectancy was the massive infant mortality rate.

This, of course assumes that you don't get killed by a wound inflicted on you by a pissed off fellow human, or magical lion bears.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Actually if you made it to 20 your odds of a "normal" human lifespan was pretty good.  What brings down the average life expectancy was the massive infant mortality rate.

This, of course assumes that you don't get killed by a wound inflicted on you by a pissed off fellow human, or magical lion bears.

Even today it is no sure bet. My best friend just died of cancer. He was fifty-one.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

With it being canon that Adrian's father was an adventurer, it makes it highly likely that this is canon.

maybe half canon, while I would certainly believe the wooden sword, the armour seems unlikely since Blaike doesn't seem to be the armour wearing type.

I think this comic represents the true source of Pandora's insanity.  Think of her choices.  Blaike has gone on to that ultimate adventure, the Undiscovered Country, death, and Pandora can not follow.  Her son, being long-lived, is still around and is a living, breathing connection to the love she had with Blaike.  If she resets to protect her sanity, her memories of her son and husband will be as if she were reading them in a memoir, stripped of their emotional context, stripped of their life.  Right now, with the Immortal's near perfect memory, Blaike must seem almost alive in her mind and heart.  To regain sanity, she must rip him out of her heart.  I think if Adrian had died some time ago as well, when she was more sane, she might have been able to do reset herself, but her perfect memory of a mother's love must be keeping her from resetting as long he lives.  What would it be like to know you would never again really love your son if you reset? That if you saw him again, you would think, oh yes, I know about that person, not I KNOW that person?

Her quest to remain unbored is her quest to keep from finally giving in to complete insanity.   Insane, she might think nothing of killing all around her, including her son.  I think if Adrian were to die now, Pandora would let herself give in to that terrible state of mind, the closest she might think she would ever get to some kind of final peace.  I wonder, can an immortal be killed?  If so, how many immortals might die fighting an insane Pandora.  Pandora might be the nightmare that keeps other Immortals awake at night.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think this comic represents the true source of Pandora's insanity.  Think of her choices.  Blaike has gone on to that ultimate adventure, the Undiscovered Country, death, and Pandora can not follow.  Her son, being long-lived, is still around and is a living, breathing connection to the love she had with Blaike.  If she resets to protect her sanity, her memories of her son and husband will be as if she were reading them in a memoir, stripped of their emotional context, stripped of their life.  Right now, with the Immortal's near perfect memory, Blaike must seem almost alive in her mind and heart.  To regain sanity, she must rip him out of her heart.  I think if Adrian had died some time ago as well, when she was more sane, she might have been able to do reset herself, but her perfect memory of a mother's love must be keeping her from resetting as long he lives.  What would it be like to know you would never again really love your son if you reset? That if you saw him again, you would think, oh yes, I know about that person, not I KNOW that person?

Yup. I think that's the reason why elves are so rare - most immortals will realize this BEFORE having the child.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Pandora might be the nightmare that keeps other Immortals awake at night.

Certainly not all immortals :)

On July 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM, hkmaly said:

That was basically the previous hypothesis. Yes, both are possible: half-immortals are either incapable of having children or forbidden to have them.

I'm not inclined to think its a case of "may not" - Adrian Raven strikes me as someone who tends to be rather precise with his speech; he'd have to be, to keep Pandora from playing around with double meanings/homophones, and we know she would, if only for amusement. If Adrain said half immortals "can not" than that's precisely what he means - they lack the ability to do so. 

2 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

I'm not inclined to think its a case of "may not" - Adrian Raven strikes me as someone who tends to be rather precise with his speech; he'd have to be, to keep Pandora from playing around with double meanings/homophones, and we know she would, if only for amusement. If Adrain said half immortals "can not" than that's precisely what he means - they lack the ability to do so. 

Adrian being up tight about grammar is canon

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Adrian being up tight about grammar is canon

SentenceBot.exe cannot comprehend. Abort abort. Shutting down...

Wonder where he got it from? I think Ma Bell and her "chaotic tendencies".

14 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Another possibility: Elves can only reproduce with other elves, and not with human or Immortal partners. Since Elves are so rare, even if they seek each other out, there will be only the smallest handful of chances for this to happen.

18 hours ago, Stature said:

Wonder where he got it from? I think Ma Bell and her "chaotic tendencies".

Or too much teaching.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Another possibility: Elves can only reproduce with other elves, and not with human or Immortal partners. Since Elves are so rare, even if they seek each other out, there will be only the smallest handful of chances for this to happen.

That would still mean he CAN reproduce. It's only question of time, and he have lot of it. Even if he would be literally only elf on Earth (which I doubt), he can just WAIT for some elf girl to be conceived and grow up.