• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Thursday, July 14, 2016

3 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

How guilty does someone count as if someone gave someone else information while posing as them?

Essentially, Voltaire framed Abner.

I could not say that Pandora would actually care about the life of Abner.  And if she arranged for his death before she discovered that lil' Abner was just another  victim of the Cheshire Fried Colonel, Pandora would not feel particularly guilty.

Having said that.  If she discovers that Abner was deliberately put in her path by Voltaire, Pandora just might guide and empower Abner to become a useful tool in her latest grudge match.  (And how much empowering does an ordinary mortal need to become a useful tool in a battle against an immortal?)

On a side note (C# below middle C), before posting this comment, I referred to Pandora as Eris twice.
I really feel she has more in common with the party crasher who started the Trojan War than the human who was told "Don't do this" and then was left alone.
Does anyone else feel that way?

33 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I thought that it was Voltaire posing as Abner who told Sirleck the name "Adrian Raven".

It was, my bad.  Abner told Sirleck that Helena and Demetrius were no longer watching Elliot 24/7.  Which may or may not be of interest to Pandora.  I suspect not, but with her who the frak knows?

45 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I really feel she has more in common with the party crasher who started the Trojan War than the human who was told "Don't do this" and then was left alone.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Personally, she reminds me equally of the Furies. Spill family blood, pay a terrible price...

31 minutes ago, RainbowWizard said:

Blood is thicker than water.

But you can still drown a person in it.

You can do that with whipped cream, too.  Too thin to swim in to get out, too thick to breathe.

59 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

You can do that with whipped cream, too.  Too thin to swim in to get out, too thick to breathe.

On the countering side, puncturing a pulmonary artery is not likely to fill the lungs with whipped cream.

2 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Blood is thicker than water.

But you can still drown a person in it.

Not that much thicker, depending on what drugs you are taking.  I'm almost, but not quite at Imperial Russian family level.

Every thing I take either seems to either thin the blood, or thicken the stools, or both.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I could not say that Pandora would actually care about the life of Abner.  And if she arranged for his death before she discovered that lil' Abner was just another  victim of the Cheshire Fried Colonel, Pandora would not feel particularly guilty

If. I find very unlikely she don't discover it.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well she said herself that she feels more like the box than the Pandora herself. Personally, I think she doesn't have that much common with Eris, but it's true she doesn't have much common with Pandora either so you may still technically be right.

Loki might be better match.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, hkmaly said:

... unless it's hereditary :)

Which it may be.  Given that monster hunting is very definitely something that runs in families in this setting, Blaike's career seems to open a whole new set of possibilities on just how Raven might be related to various members of the main cast.

15 minutes ago, malloyd said:

Which it may be.  Given that monster hunting is very definitely something that runs in families in this setting, Blaike's career seems to open a whole new set of possibilities on just how Raven might be related to various members of the main cast.

The only way that would work is if Blaike had a girlfriend and/or wife with whom he had a child with, before he meet Pandora.  I'm not seeing Pandora tolerating him playing around.  Playing around on an Immortal girlfriend/wife sounds like one of the great "Bad Ideas" of all time.  And with at least 4, maybe as many as 9 centuries his blood line is going to be rather diluted, so "family resemblance", unless attached to a strongly dominate gene is going to fade away. 

I could be wrong and they had an open relationship, but given how Pandora acts about family, to include "great god-sons" I'm not seeing that as a strong possibility.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The only way that would work is if Blaike had a girlfriend and/or wife with whom he had a child with, before he meet Pandora. 

Surely Blaike could have other relatives.  Though chapter is called Sisters Three.  And on the time gap, we already have a human character that old who is still alive.  Admittedly he's spent most of the intervening years as a statue, but still.

20 minutes ago, malloyd said:

Surely Blaike could have other relatives.  Though chapter is called Sisters Three.  And on the time gap, we already have a human character that old who is still alive.  Admittedly he's spent most of the intervening years as a statue, but still.

There is no canon evidence that Abraham was alive during the Pandora Blaike romance.  The fact that Blaike died facing a beast does not automatically make the beast Abraham's noble friend in werewolf form.  For all we know it was another magical lion bear.  Or for that matter just a really big normal brown bear aka a Grizzly bear.  Even European Brown bears get big enough to be a major threat to one armed person and a handful of unarmed people.

One thing I'm some what twitchy about EGS fandom is it's habit of assuming that "new" character or monsters don't happen.  There was a beast, it must have been Abraham's noble friend or the beast created by the diamond.  We have seen 2 non related to any known monsters in the Pandora back story, that being the dragon and magical lion bear.  No need to drag all the plot lines together just to make for a smaller cast.  Some times you can have a one shot monster or spear carrier.  This might be the dungeon master in me talking, but not every encounter is with one of the story line's is with the parties arch enemy  or his minions.  Some times a random encounter is just a random encounter.

Another example is who is Greg's new girlfriend?  There is no reason it's a person we have meet.  Moperville is fairly large town, large enough to support two high schools with multi thousand count student bodies.  The odds of Greg's new GF being one of the maybe 20 people we know are rather slim.  And it's not like Dan doesn't like drawing one off or low usage characters.  See "Good Tom and his girl friend" for example they have been it two comics, total each,  and only one of those had both of them together.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

One thing I'm some what twitchy about EGS fandom is it's habit of assuming that "new" character or monsters don't happen.  There was a beast, it must have been Abraham's noble friend or the beast created by the diamond.  We have seen 2 non related to any known monsters in the Pandora back story, that being the dragon and magical lion bear.  No need to drag all the plot lines together just to make for a smaller cast.  Some times you can have a one shot monster or spear carrier.  This might be the dungeon master in me talking, but not every encounter is with one of the story line's is with the parties arch enemy  or his minions.  Some times a random encounter is just a random encounter.

I very much agree with this. The character relationships are already a gordian knot as is.

On 07/18/2016 at 5:41 AM, mlooney said:

The odds of Greg's new GF being one of the maybe 20 people we know are rather slim.

The odds of Carol the reporter being related to main cast was also rather slim. Personally, I see the possibility of Greg meeting another person with "inside" knowledge shortly after finding out how his own knowledge is dangerous much bigger than possibility of this monster being somehow related to dewitchery diamond.

On 07/18/2016 at 3:25 AM, mlooney said:

The only way that would work is if Blaike had a girlfriend and/or wife with whom he had a child with, before he meet Pandora.

He could have sister who was also in adventuring ...

On 07/18/2016 at 3:25 AM, mlooney said:

And with at least 4, maybe as many as 9 centuries his blood line is going to be rather diluted, so "family resemblance", unless attached to a strongly dominate gene is going to fade away. 

... but I agree that it wouldn't really explain the resemblance.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The odds of Carol the reporter being related to main cast was also rather slim.  Personally, I see the possibility of Greg meeting another person with "inside" knowledge shortly after finding out how his own knowledge is dangerous much bigger than possibility of this monster being somehow related to dewitchery diamond.

Carol Brown, Ace Reporter, being Sarah's sister was a general fan thing, and Dan just went "Meh, OK, she is her sister."1  I'm not sure if that's an argument for your side or mine.  But it's an data point.

1Shrug of God: She wasn't initiatlly [sic] designed as Sarah's sisters, but after fans pointed out the similarities, Dan decided "Why not?"

Edited by mlooney
Chaning 'it's' to 'she is'. We know Carol gender, at least as presented.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Carol Brown, Ace Reporter, being Sarah's sister was a general fan thing, and Dan just went "Meh, OK, she is her sister."1  I'm not sure if that's an argument for your side or mine.  But it's an data point.

I wasn't aware it was fan originated ... does it means that Greg dating Vladia wouldn't happen unless fan would speak about it enough? :)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I wasn't aware it was fan originated ... does it means that Greg dating Vladia wouldn't happen unless fan would speak about it enough? :)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but right now Greg + Vladia needs to get in line behind Tedd+Sarah+Grace.

Just saying.

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but right now Greg + Vladia needs to get in line behind Tedd+Sarah+Grace.

Tedd/Grace/Sarah is practically already canon, so Greg/Vladia wouldn't be waiting in line for very long!

On July 18, 2016 at 10:41 PM, mlooney said:

One thing I'm somewhat twitchy about EGS fandom is its habit of assuming that "new" character or monsters don't happen.  There was a beast, it must have been Abraham's noble friend or the beast created by the diamond.  We have seen 2 non related to any known monsters in the Pandora back story, that being the dragon and magical lion bear.  No need to drag all the plot lines together just to make for a smaller cast.  Sometimes you can have a one shot monster or spear carrier.  This might be the dungeon master in me talking, but not every encounter is with one of the storyline's is with the parties arch enemy or his minions.  Sometimes a random encounter is just a random encounter.

Another example is who is Greg's new girlfriend?  There is no reason it's a person we have meet.  Moperville is fairly large town, large enough to support two high schools with multi thousand count student bodies.  The odds of Greg's new GF being one of the maybe 20 people we know are rather slim.  And it's not like Dan doesn't like drawing one off or low usage characters.  See "Good Tom and his girl friend" for example they have been it two comics, total each,  and only one of those had both of them together.

I don't think I've seen anyone saying that Vladia *must* be Greg's girlfriend, or that the beast who killed Blaike is *absolutely* the one in the Diamond origin story.  What I've seen is speculation, usually done in a lighthearted manner, sometimes taken to extremes as part of the joke.  We speculate, and we explore the implications of our ideas, because it's fun!

(That said, there's a writing trope called "conservation of detail" which says that a writer cannot spend time on every detail of every situation, or even a small percentage of the details, therefore there is a better-than-logical chance that anything the writer takes the time to include will turn out to be important.)

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think I've seen anyone saying that Vladia *must* be Greg's girlfriend, or that the beast who killed Blaike is *absolutely* the one in the Diamond origin story.  What I've seen is speculation, usually done in a lighthearted manner, sometimes taken to extremes as part of the joke.  We speculate, and we explore the implications of our ideas, because it's fun!

(That said, there's a writing trope called "conservation of detail" which says that a writer cannot spend time on every detail of every situation, or even a small percentage of the details, therefore there is a better-than-logical chance that anything the writer takes the time to include will turn out to be important.)

In game writing this is bad.  Players assume that when ever the DM starts with reading flavor text something is about to go down. I wrote a dungeon that was the reverse of this empty room were described in loving detail but rooms with traps or hidden monsters were just "it's a 20 by 40 foot room, door on the north wall.

Took them three real life days to figure out what was going on.

47 minutes ago, mlooney said:

In game writing this is bad.  Players assume that when ever the DM starts with reading flavor text something is about to go down.

I remember once running a module where the players met a dwarven blacksmith. I thought the flavor text description was a bit scanty so I decided to describe the gear he was wearing from the DM portion of the text, stating he wore a leather apron, carried a hammer, et cetera. Only I went on just a bit too long and before I could stop myself I added, "On his left hand he is wearing a Ring of Protection +1."

The players loved it. The party leader cheerfully addressed the dwarf, "Hello, my good man! I see you are wearing your Ring of Protection +1 today! Good idea, things just aren't safe these times!"