• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Monday July 31, 2017

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm betting that it would be easier to make watches that shrink the appropriate tissues (or wands in areas without the elevated magic levels), so you'd have to keep an annoying little magic thingamabob handy and use it every night before you fell asleep.  I'm betting that would still be a vast improvement over the CPAP, which is itself a vast improvement over sleep apnea!

Hah, that gave me the giggles.  Your suggestion is an excellent one, and honestly, many people might be hesitant to use magic for a permanent change, when a change for just the night would be enough, but I envisioned the following scenario:

"Hey honey, toss me my Teddcorp Snore-Away watch."
"Uh, okay..."
"What's the matter, honey, I thought you like the way you could sleep now that I don't snore anymore?"
"True, but do the only options on the watch has to be Catperson, SquirrelPerson, or that other one..."
"You mean the FV5?"
"Yeah..."
"Honeybun, why are you blushing?"
"No reason!"

Hmm, what animal-form would be the least likely to snore?

18 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Hah, that gave me the giggles.  Your suggestion is an excellent one, and honestly, many people might be hesitant to use magic for a permanent change, when a change for just the night would be enough, but I envisioned the following scenario:

"Uh, okay..."
"What's the matter, honey, I thought you like the way you could sleep now that I don't snore anymore?"
"True, but do the only options on the watch has to be Catperson, SquirrelPerson, or that other one..."
"You mean the FV5?"
"Yeah..."
"Honeybun, why are you blushing?"
"No reason!"

Hmm, what animal-form would be the least likely to snore?

And of course I had to try and look up what animals were least likely to snore.  Didn't find anything yet, but I did find suggestions that men are much more likely to snore than women, so ironically enough, a watch that transformed men to women might actually have a chance of curing their snoring.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I think the whole thing started out as Pandora being bored and just wanting to play a game with Edward, I don't think she intended on things going this far but her desire to not know the outcome made the game potentially dangerous. This seemed to be confirmed when Jerry stated that Immortals that continued well pasted their reset points became insane as they got older and more bored and risked destroying themselves and taking out a lot of innocent people in the process. Now that we know Voltaire is involved, it's just one big complicated mess.

If we talking about potential, Pandora is definitely more dangerous than Magus. On the other hand, she's likely the best counter to Voltaire we have ...

Maybe Magus WITH BODY will be necessary counter to something as well?

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm betting that it would be easier to make watches that shrink the appropriate tissues (or wands in areas without the elevated magic levels), so you'd have to keep an annoying little magic thingamabob handy and use it every night before you fell asleep.  I'm betting that would still be a vast improvement over the CPAP, which is itself a vast improvement over sleep apnea!

"Uh, okay..."
"You mean the FV5?"

While funny, I think that specific spell to JUST shrink the appropriate tissues would be more effective than relative (non-clone) forms.

Also, yes: no matter what Dan tries, he can't deny that medical applications of transformations - especially the crazy safe transformations of EGS - would be extremely useful.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe Magus WITH BODY will be necessary counter to something as well?

Magus with body becomes more of a liability if Sirleck is planning on possessing him so Magus would technically still be a hawk in that scenario, but as this Story arc is titled, Magus would be a catspaw.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

I've heard all sorts of pets snore.  If it's a little pet, the snores are proportionately quiet.  A rat snoring is adorable.

When my cat got older, she started to snore. Very quiet little snores, generally. But there was one time where she was lying asleep next to me and we were both snoring. My wife was in the next room and could clearly hear us. First me, then the cat. Then me again, then the cat. She said it was the most adorable thing she had ever heard and she barely dared to move for fear of waking us up and ending the duet. :)

9 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

When my cat got older, she started to snore. Very quiet little snores, generally. But there was one time where she was lying asleep next to me and we were both snoring. My wife was in the next room and could clearly hear us. First me, then the cat. Then me again, then the cat. She said it was the most adorable thing she had ever heard and she barely dared to move for fear of waking us up and ending the duet. :)

Oh, please tell me she got video of it!!!

(Cell?  Camcorder?  8mm?)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Magus with body becomes more of a liability if Sirleck is planning on possessing him so Magus would technically still be a hawk in that scenario, but as this Story arc is titled, Magus would be a catspaw.

It fits the title page since Sirleck is looming behind magus and everyone else. But Pandora is between Sirleck and Magus.

Sirleck is the real threat - Magus is just a catalyst (he can tell people to do things but he can't actually make much happen other than heightening some emotion a bit).

Also, I'm preeeeetty sure Sirleck wants Adrian's body (elves don't age, so it's not unreasonable for him to assume that a possessed elf body wouldn't either) and it doesn't matter how many people he has to kill in the process to get it.

Not to mention the fact that Sirleck actually has wings.

12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Well, fish don't snore. But this might require you to go sleep in the swimming pool.

If it let me sleep without snoring, I am not sure it would be anymore annoying than wearing a CPAP.  Now of course, getting a heated swimming pool in the home might be problematic...

Ah yes, what I did look up indicated that only mammals snore; something to do with the structure of their throats.  So, theoretically, a morph that used reptile, bird, amphibian, etc might also work.  Though, that might be very jarring for someone to wake up to their partner with with a Komodo dragon face.

10 hours ago, JainaEgo said:

Sirleck is the real threat - Magus is just a catalyst (he can tell people to do things but he can't actually make much happen other than heightening some emotion a bit).

Also, I'm preeeeetty sure Sirleck wants Adrian's body (elves don't age, so it's not unreasonable for him to assume that a possessed elf body wouldn't either) and it doesn't matter how many people he has to kill in the process to get it.

Not to mention the fact that Sirleck actually has wings.

When first presented with Magus' plan, I think Sirleck wanted whatever body Magus wound up in, but having learned of Adrian's existence, I think Sirleck would covet Adrian's body for his longevity, but to actually be an Aberration possessing the child of an Immortal?  That is asking for Trouble with a Capital T.  One could imagine the Hellfire the Immortal parent(s) would rain down on the Aberration, but even if the Aberration could somehow escape, I think the whole Immortal community might think this an injustice of great magnitude.

15 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

When first presented with Magus' plan, I think Sirleck wanted whatever body Magus wound up in, but having learned of Adrian's existence, I think Sirleck would covet Adrian's body for his longevity, but to actually be an Aberration possessing the child of an Immortal?  That is asking for Trouble with a Capital T.  One could imagine the Hellfire the Immortal parent(s) would rain down on the Aberration, but even if the Aberration could somehow escape, I think the whole Immortal community might think this an injustice of great magnitude.

I want to believe that Elves wouldn't be compatible at all, I don't know how, but I would think if Sirleck was capable of possessing Adrian, he wouldn't risk killing him. He admitted that Adrian might be able to take on one or two vampires, so he's spent most of his fortune to send as many vampires as possible. So much can go wrong with trying to possess the being you're having get attacked, what if the Immortals don't act in time, or the vampires overwhelm them. I don't think Sirleck would risk it.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I want to believe that Elves wouldn't be compatible at all, I don't know how, but I would think if Sirleck was capable of possessing Adrian, he wouldn't risk killing him. He admitted that Adrian might be able to take on one or two vampires, so he's spent most of his fortune to send as many vampires as possible. So much can go wrong with trying to possess the being you're having get attacked, what if the Immortals don't act in time, or the vampires overwhelm them. I don't think Sirleck would risk it.

There's always the possibility of using Raven as a hostage for leverage against Pandora, even though Sirleck might not know it is Pandora he is leveraging at first.

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ah yes, what I did look up indicated that only mammals snore; something to do with the structure of their throats.  So, theoretically, a morph that used reptile, bird, amphibian, etc might also work.

There is little problem then: TF gun may not be able to change you to something which is not mammal. Maybe. It can't do cold blood or hollow bones, I'm pretty sure it can't make you breathe water as well, on the other hand it can make scales or feathers so maybe changing throat is not completely out of question ...

Hmmm ... do dolphins snore?

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think Sirleck would covet Adrian's body for his longevity, but to actually be an Aberration possessing the child of an Immortal?  That is asking for Trouble with a Capital T.  One could imagine the Hellfire the Immortal parent(s) would rain down on the Aberration, but even if the Aberration could somehow escape, I think the whole Immortal community might think this an injustice of great magnitude.

The other immortals would only be dangerous if they find out, but with the number of elves around, it would be pretty hard to hide.

Also, I suspect that when the other immortals would know some immortal is fighting Aberration possessing Elf, they will NOT reset her ...

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I want to believe that Elves wouldn't be compatible at all,

Or they may have so big resistance Sirleck has no chance to get in even with surprise.

6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

There's always the possibility of using Raven as a hostage for leverage against Pandora, even though Sirleck might not know it is Pandora he is leveraging at first.

Yeah sure ... it worked great against Robocop ... hostage can only work if you can harm the hostage faster than the one you hold him against can kill you, WHILE he is looking at you and you are giving him time to prepare attack. And, of course, the moment you kill the hostage you are dead.

Trying it against someone who can move in another layer of reality sounds very risky. Trying it against someone who can be on multiple places at once and likely can teleport is certainly suicide. Even if immortals can't directly attack aberrations (even while protecting their child? Sounds unlikely) Pandora likely wouldn't care and kill him even if it meant she will be reset.

Then there is the question of empowering ... in hostage situation, there must be plenty of ways how to empower the hostage in way which kills the one holding it. Like surrounding the hostage with fire.

Conclusion: Sirleck would be crazy trying it against Helena and Demetrius. Which means we are short on words to describe his state of mind when he would try it against Pandora.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If a dolphin has trouble breathing while it sleeps, it drowns.

We do not advocate drowning the people who keep us awake with their snoring.

Yet.

Ask us again after a few more sleepless nights...

Pffft. Don't tell me that the other mummies snore. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Even if immortals can't directly attack aberrations (even while protecting their child? Sounds unlikely) Pandora likely wouldn't care and kill him even if it meant she will be reset.

I've been wondering why Voltaire would get Sirleck to attack Adrian. From what I can gather, Voltaire's end goal is to change Immortal law to give them more freedom to act. This will likely need a majority of Immortals to agree, if not a unanimous agreement. Sirleck attacking Adrian might be a bid to get Pandora's 'vote.' If the law prohibits her from acting directly, even if an aberration is attacking her child, she might be anguished and frustrated enough to agree to a change in the law, assuming she doesn't decide to act directly anyway, consequences and all. Though if she does choose to accept the consequences and act directly, a forced-reset Pandora would likely be considerably easier to manipulate than an extremely old Pandora.

Though a likely wrench in Voltaire's plan will be the Main 8, whom Pandora is on roughly good terms with(and getting increasingly better terms thanks to her helping Tedd) and she can Guide and Empower to protect Adrian.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If a dolphin has trouble breathing while it sleeps, it drowns.

Actually, wild dolphins apparently only enter deep sleep in one half of their brains at a time.  They have to surface to breathe,  so if they're too deeply asleep they wouldn't be able to do that.  They can doze both sides, while staying awake enough to use their tail to surface enough to breathe and be aware of predators, but deep sleep on both sides at once apparently just doesn't happen in the wild.  I'm guessing that means no snoring, but I don't know for sure; do people snore when half-asleep dozing, or only when deeply asleep?

Hmm, another reason they might not snore is that the airway and GI tract are separated -- if snoring is in the oropharynx then dolphins likely don't have the anatomy for it.

Sounds like a question for The Straight Dope!

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Pffft. Don't tell me that the other mummies snore. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Snoring comes from vibration of soft tissues within the airway.  Dessicated throats aren't soft any more.  They might rattle, I suppose....

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Snoring comes from vibration of soft tissues within the airway.  Dessicated throats aren't soft any more.  They might rattle, I suppose....

Do mummies need to sleep?  Though if they did, the thought of sleeping next to a mummy who is making a rattling noise... ugh!

Just now, Tuscahoma said:
3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Do mummies need to sleep?  Though if they did, the thought of sleeping next to a mummy who is making a rattling noise... ugh!

All above noted for gaming use.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

All above noted for gaming use.

Ack, please tell me you aren't going to have your party wake up next to a sleeping mummy snoring a death rattle.  Not that I can cast aspersions.  As a game master I once offered this description to my players:  "You know in the morning when you wake up?  You don't actually wake up."  I think I remember having an extant party member, who was away at the time, actually resurrected them and then they investigated their own deaths.  But yeah, I was a butthead at times as a game master.