• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Monday July 31, 2017

38 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:
3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Pffft. Don't tell me that the other mummies snore. Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Snoring comes from vibration of soft tissues within the airway.  Dessicated throats aren't soft any more.  They might rattle, I suppose....

Do mummies need to sleep?  Though if they did, the thought of sleeping next to a mummy who is making a rattling noise... ugh!

Why do you think mummies spend so much time in their sarcophagi? They're just trying to get some nice rest when dumb adventurers stumble in and start stealing things and messing up the decor.

35 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ack, please tell me you aren't going to have your party wake up next to a sleeping mummy snoring a death rattle.

A sleeping snoring mummy?  No. More than one?  Maybe.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If a dolphin has trouble breathing while it sleeps, it drowns.

That's why dolphin often only sleep with half brain. Humans can't do that.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Actually, wild dolphins apparently only enter deep sleep in one half of their brains at a time.  They have to surface to breathe,  so if they're too deeply asleep they wouldn't be able to do that.  They can doze both sides, while staying awake enough to use their tail to surface enough to breathe and be aware of predators, but deep sleep on both sides at once apparently just doesn't happen in the wild.

Yes.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm guessing that means no snoring, but I don't know for sure; do people snore when half-asleep dozing, or only when deeply asleep?

I can totally snore when awake. But when the snoring person is awake, he usually stops snoring if threatened.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

This will likely need a majority of Immortals to agree, if not a unanimous agreement. Sirleck attacking Adrian might be a bid to get Pandora's 'vote.'

Sounds like hopeless strategy, unless Pandora is really the last one who's vote he needs to change ... also, I'm not convinced Pandora would be against.

I think his goal is something like showing that the current laws are not enough on Pandora. Or his real target is Tedd and he just wants Pandora out because she might help him.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:12 PM, The Old Hack said:

Or as Sir Terry Pratchett's Granny Weatherwax put it, "Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten."

Yes, but it has to be specifically a million to one.  If it's two million to one, or 999,000 to one, it won't work.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, hkmaly said:

Sirleck would be crazy trying it against Helena and Demetrius. Which means we are short on words to describe his state of mind when he would try it against Pandora.

Ah, but he thinks Adrian is the son of either Helena or Demetrius.  He's going to expect a reaction from an immortal who only recently reset, and improperly at that.  Instead, he's going to get an immortal who hasn't reset in several centuries.

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think I remember having an extant party member, who was away at the time, actually resurrected them and then they investigated their own deaths.

Wasn't I just discussing that book in another thread? ;-)

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ah, but he thinks Adrian is the son of either Helena or Demetrius.  He's going to expect a reaction from an immortal who only recently reset, and improperly at that.  Instead, he's going to get an immortal who hasn't reset in several centuries.

I can see a flaw in the logic behind this. Sirleck is banking on the assumption that Helena or Demetrius would even recall that Adrian was their son.

What would the chances be that an improperly reset Immortal would recall who their previous life's family was if they had one? I think the only reason they've been able to recall what they have so far, is due to whatever vow they made, if a vow didn't include family, I would wonder if they'd know.

25 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 8/2/2017 at 1:21 AM, hkmaly said:

Sirleck would be crazy trying it against Helena and Demetrius. Which means we are short on words to describe his state of mind when he would try it against Pandora.

He thinks the approaching light is a motorcycle, but it's an express train.

... personally, I wouldn't stay in way of motorcycle, despite it being much less risky than express train.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I can see a flaw in the logic behind this. Sirleck is banking on the assumption that Helena or Demetrius would even recall that Adrian was their son.

What would the chances be that an improperly reset Immortal would recall who their previous life's family was if they had one? I think the only reason they've been able to recall what they have so far, is due to whatever vow they made, if a vow didn't include family, I would wonder if they'd know.

Yes, it does seem optimistic for him to assume they remember their son ... on the other hand, he might assume that based on "Abner" saying it, they remember because otherwise Abner wouldn't know.

It's quite possible that Sirleck just doesn't know that the pair are either young or recently reset, let alone both, and just thinks he's capable of handling a couple of normal immortals.  He didn't seem too eager to tangle with Pandora, though.

13 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It's quite possible that Sirleck just doesn't know that the pair are either young or recently reset, let alone both, and just thinks he's capable of handling a couple of normal immortals.  He didn't seem too eager to tangle with Pandora, though.

Magus told him directly that they're young and died improperly. Also, Sirlek wants them distracted, and plans to use threatening Adrian as a means to do that.

So, Sirlek is almost certainly not planning to possess Adrian, as he intends specifically to draw Helena and Demetruis' attention to Adrian at the time he attempts whatever he's planning, and it's hard to imagine how that could possibly go together with attempting to possess Adrian.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Actually, can immortals tackle aberrations directly.  The pair recruit mortals to fight immortals, guiding and empowering.  If they were attacked directly by Sirleck, that would be one thing.  Instead, he has vamps-for-hire doing his dirty work and going after Adrian.  I bet they don't know Adrian is the child of an immortal.  Now can an immortal defend family?

25 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Actually, can immortals tackle aberrations directly.  The pair recruit mortals to fight immortals, guiding and empowering.  If they were attacked directly by Sirleck, that would be one thing.  Instead, he has vamps-for-hire doing his dirty work and going after Adrian.  I bet they don't know Adrian is the child of an immortal.  Now can an immortal defend family?

Good question.

It is possible that immortal can't DIRECTLY attack aberration attacking her child. However, I'm sure there is lot of indirect stuff they can do. Note that the vampires are supposed to be DISTRACTION. They are not expected to survive the attack on Adrian.

That's why I think there will be no hostage situation.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, but it is amazing what we can do with no more than half our brains engaged, if that. Keeping a conversation going, cooking food, driving a car, running a nation...

Admittedly we do not do it particularly well. Doesn't keep us from doing it.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

No, but it is amazing what we can do with no more than half our brains engaged, if that. Keeping a conversation going, cooking food, driving a car, running a nation...

Admittedly we do not do it particularly well. Doesn't keep us from doing it.

Perhaps we should consider letting dolphins run for office.  ;)

Personally, I admit I am a terrible multitasker.  I do much better when allowed to focus on one problem at a time.  My wife on the other hand, seems to do quite well juggling tasks.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Some humans seem to do EVERYTHING with half a brain.

Or less.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Or less.

HEY! Be nice to the members of the Danish Parliament! You can't just... just...

...excuse me. I was trying to come up with a reason as to why you should be nice to them, but for some reason I came up with a complete blank.

Perhaps we should consider letting dolphins run for office.  ;)

We could try, but I think dolphins are too intelligent for that. I mean, they wouldn't be interested.

Personally, I admit I am a terrible multitasker.  I do much better when allowed to focus on one problem at a time.  My wife on the other hand, seems to do quite well juggling tasks.

Women seems usually better at multitasking than men. It's still not good idea for them to drive and phone at same time.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm pretty sure even the better-not-named top politician is able to sleep with whole brain. He definitely doesn't use whole brain when tweeting, though. In fact, maybe sleeping is ONLY thing he does with whole brain.

11 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Perhaps we should consider letting dolphins run for office.

FLIPPER 2020!!!

Unless all the dolphins evacuate the Earth by then.  Leaving the rest of us with nothing but at heartfelt "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish."

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

FLIPPER 2020!!!

Got my vote!

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Unless all the dolphins evacuate the Earth by then.  Leaving the rest of us with nothing but at heartfelt "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish."

I would not really blame them. :(

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

FLIPPER 2020!!!

Got my vote!

Yep, I'm on board as well!  ;)

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I would not really blame them. :(

Political climate aside, the oceans gradually warming are not really hospitable to dolphins, so yeah, I wouldn't blame them either.  Oddly enough, the cephalopods seem to be fine with it and are thriving.  All Hail our Tentacled Overloads 2020? :danshiftyeyes:

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Women seems usually better at multitasking than men. It's still not good idea for them to drive and phone at same time.

Even if they were dolphins?  ;)

3 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Political climate aside, the oceans gradually warming are not really hospitable to dolphins, so yeah, I wouldn't blame them either.  Oddly enough, the cephalopods seem to be fine with it and are thriving.  All Hail our Tentacled Overloads 2020? :danshiftyeyes:

I'd vote for an octopus over the current PM of Denmark any day of the week. And over the two before that, for that matter.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I'd vote for an octopus over the current PM of Denmark any day of the week. And over the two before that, for that matter.

Well okay then.  I would vote for octopi as well over the current administrations at both our federal and state level.  Wow, that is some realization.  I need more coffee (AM here).

27 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

https://cthulhuforamerica.com/