• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Friday July 22, 2016

Wait, if

Greg's right arm alone has at least five times the power of a fire goo griffin.

then why won't Greg just punch the fire goo griffin?

(also, fire goo griffin = best monster ever)

54 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Having a family is not a good excuse to just take someone's arm Grace.

To be fair, Greg doesn't seem overly concerned about the arm. I'd characterize his mood as Mild Annoyance.

32 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

To be fair, Greg doesn't seem overly concerned about the arm. I'd characterize his mood as Mild Annoyance.

"Really? I had TWO arms, and you had to pick the right arm? Dude, that's seriously inconsiderate of you."

Grace is a nicer person than I, cause my response to learning it has a family would be "Oh crap, gonna have to find and exterminate them next,"  Cause the prospect of that many things multiplying is terrifying.

I swear Pandora's landing pose in panel 2 is taken from a video game, I wanna say Castlevania but that might just be because of her outfit.

4 hours ago, ChaosSepher said:

Grace is a nicer person than I, cause my response to learning it has a family would be "Oh crap, gonna have to find and exterminate them next,"  Cause the prospect of that many things multiplying is terrifying.

Down that path is the way to become a murder hobo.

Otherwise known as an RPG character.

It's a dream. Even if Greg and the fire goo griffin are creations of the "informer" Pandora is looking for. This is not the real Greg and isn't bound to act like the real Greg.

The real Greg would have made some reference to an anime. Which is kind of an indication that this Greg might be an Informer creation, since Grace knows the real Greg by now and the dream Greg would be expected to act something like what Grace believes Greg would act like.

And the fire goo griffin here isn't real, either. I'm sure real fire goo griffins are usually responsible griffins and reproduce responsibly, although those vulcanized condoms must take quite a lot of the fun out of the process.

7 hours ago, ChaosSepher said:

my response to learning it has a family would be "Oh crap, gonna have to find and exterminate them next,

Not that I'm objecting to your attitude because these griffinfants could grow up to be as hellishly dangerous as their dad, but I'm reminded of an almost-forgotten Disney movie from 1981, Dragonslayer, and in particular two scenes. Galen, apprentice of one of the last wizards and would-be dragonslayer, tries to save the king's daughter but finds her dead with a bunch of hatchling dragons eating her corpse. He kills them. And later, in what I think was the greatest scene in the movie, the mother dragon finds them dead. Somehow ILM managed to convey that this maiden-eating monster was mourning.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not that I'm objecting to your attitude because these griffinfants could grow up to be as hellishly dangerous as their dad, but I'm reminded of an almost-forgotten Disney movie from 1981, Dragonslayer, and in particular two scenes. Galen, apprentice of one of the last wizards and would-be dragonslayer, tries to save the king's daughter but finds her dead with a bunch of hatchling dragons eating her corpse. He kills them. And later, in what I think was the greatest scene in the movie, the mother dragon finds them dead. Somehow ILM managed to convey that this maiden-eating monster was mourning.

I remember that. That was an incredible movie. And yes, that was just possibly the best scene in the movie.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Am I really the first person to comment on the cute bulge in the fire goo griffin's cheek just after s/he eats Greg's arm?  Well, it's cute.  Horrible if you think about it too much, but cute nonetheless.  ;-)

Horribly cute! :icon_eek:

2 hours ago, The Wozard said:

*reads creator commentary*

Jog my memory, please... Where was Grace during this storyline?

Grace was probably at the comic shop considering she wasn't at the Verres residence in "Playing with Dolls". Maybe she had the TV on and Carol's Breaking news came on, or maybe someone from the mall who had seen it went to the comic shop afterward and was like "I saw Cheerleadra getting chased by a griffin at the mall!!"

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The real Greg would have made some reference to an anime. Which is kind of an indication that this Greg might be an Informer creation, since Grace knows the real Greg by now and the dream Greg would be expected to act something like what Grace believes Greg would act like.

One Piece maybe, there's a scene in one of the first couple episodes where a guy loses an arm protecting Luffy and responds. "It's just an arm. I have another."

Grace is dreaming uncritically, under normal circumstances I doubt she would learn anything from this experience. Her subconscious has put someone she knows - but only so well - at cartoonish risk against a composite of cute elements, it set her up for failure to resolve. There is nothing to trigger her, the circumstance itself lacks any sort of hard edges.

1 hour ago, banneret said:

Grace is dreaming uncritically, under normal circumstances I doubt she would learn anything from this experience. Her subconscious has put someone she knows - but only so well - at cartoonish risk against a composite of cute elements, it set her up for failure to resolve. There is nothing to trigger her, the circumstance itself lacks any sort of hard edges.

If you compare this dream with her previous one, the tone does seem a lot lighter, Greg doesn't sound like he's in any real danger whereas the teacher was very harsh saying Grace didn't belong anywhere.

Grace is in a situation where she witnessed horrific violence at a young age and felt powerless to do anything, when she found out about the reason for her creation, she was even more hard on herself for a time believing that she failed to live up to expectations when Damien first showed up and how savage she became when he threatened to kill her friends. She hates violence, but she can't ignore the fact that she needs to be able to fight if her friends are in danger.

If she heard about the griffin from Carol's news report, I'm thinking there must have been some mention of the griffin demanding that Cheerleadra take her to her wife, which likely explains the "I have a wife and 3 dozen fire goo babies!" comment. So in Grace's mind it was like "the griffin is attacking Elliot, but she's only doing so because she thinks Elliot knows where her wife is, there's no reason to hurt her!".

Fire, goo, griffin - three things that momentarily were the talk of the town due to their shenanigans (because not all wreaked havoca0.

Coincidence or motif, whatever it is, it is still pretty odd and eerie.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:07 PM, GJT0530 said:

One Piece maybe, there's a scene in one of the first couple episodes where a guy loses an arm protecting Luffy and responds. "It's just an arm. I have another."

Sounds like a lizard to me :demonicduck: