• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

Mrs. Prof is doing a midday check of her trail camera, I guess to get a better idea of who is eating the cat food other than possums and raccoons. I've been asleep mostly since the last update, and it looks like I'm headed back that way after this update.That is all.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:49 AM, CritterKeeper said:

but I always felt being a doctor on the Enterprise* would be more like being a zoo vet than an MD.

*As opposed to The Doctor and the Enterprise, which was an excellent fanzine story I probably still have a copy of somewhere.....

I spent some time last night reading a fanfic (still in process) about being a doctor in Zootopia...

Warning: this is an EMOTIONALLY difficult read... as most of the main characters are staff at a clinic and research facility specializing in inter-species fertility... and it's written by a guy qualified to work there...

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

11:07 a.m. CDT 20170519. I'm home. The surgery went semi-well. Turns out my bone was too brittle to handle the screw, so the podiatrist had to use a pair of pins instead. General anesthesia, with no apparent chronic coughing issues. As far as I know, they didn't lay me flat out on my back. They did intubate me, which left me with a sore throat that hurt worse than anything else. A 5 mg dose of hydrocodone seems to have taken care of that. They also gave me a scopolamine patch pre-op to help with possible nausea. Worked like a charm.

<snip>

I'm going to cut this update short so that I can get some food inside me and get my foot elevated. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts prior to the operation—they seemed to have worked!

Nice to hear they're being proactive, with things like the scopolamine patch, and are getting you meds when you need them instead of hours later.  Kudos to this team.  (They also may have benefitted from reading the reports on how things went last time, of course -- the second doctor always has an advantage over the first!)

7:39 a.m. CDT 20170517. Got some sleep with mild foot elevation last night. Still having a bit of pain in the big toe, plus the other toes of my left foot (I never did mention those, did I? I sprained and bruised the hell out of all but the small toe—very purple all across). Bit of throbbing as I sit here typing up an update, along with a lingering sore throat. Waiting for my 10 am pain pill.

Great thanks to whomever sent the Russian Concert Band Music CD! Some very rare tracks on that disc. Much obliged!

20 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

7:39 a.m. CDT 20170517. Got some sleep with mild foot elevation last night. Still having a bit of pain in the big toe, plus the other toes of my left foot (I never did mention those, did I? I sprained and bruised the hell out of all but the small toe—very purple all across). Bit of throbbing as I sit here typing up an update, along with a lingering sore throat. Waiting for my 10 am pain pill.

Great thanks to whomever sent the Russian Concert Band Music CD! Some very rare tracks on that disc. Much obliged!

You're welcome. Incidentally, I thought this might amuse you -- it is the Spiderman theme played by a full orchestra. :)

Nice! I remember growing up with the original cartoon, back in the 60s. I had to watch it on the sly, at my great-grandmother's house. My mother wouldn't let me watch it because she was undergoing her transition to her religious oddness phase which marred me for my entire elementary school life and then some [name of religion withheld to prevent arguments contrary to forum rules].

Edited by ProfessorTomoe
Missing! Exclamation! Point!

Another interesting photo from Mrs. Prof's trail cam, this time in the daylight. Note that I'm having to scale these down from the unit's lowest resolution of 2048x1536 to a much smaller size so I can post them here (the forum is getting snitty with me—I seem to be hitting a limit or something). This one shows two of the community cats about to do the tango with each other. The grey one is definitely an alpha, despite being neutered. What makes that weird is that he's the one that could possibly be brought inside if someone wanted to attempt housing him in a single-cat home.

Cats02b_20170520.jpg

It seems every poster has a hard limit to how much imagery may be posted. I can no longer include pictures at all. I've had good experiences with Imgur, however. It's easy to use and doesn't charge.

I really like these pictures. It's fun to see the cats engaged in being feline. :) Give my regards to Mrs. Prof and thank her for sharing the pictures!

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

It seems every poster has a hard limit to how much imagery may be posted. I can no longer include pictures at all. I've had good experiences with Imgur, however. It's easy to use and doesn't charge.

I also have been told I've hit my maximum allowed number of Likes for a day, usually when I'm pretty sure I haven't hit Like nearly as many times as they claim I have.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I really like these pictures. It's fun to see the cats engaged in being feline. :) Give my regards to Mrs. Prof and thank her for sharing the pictures!

Thanks for making the pictures possible!  Thanks to Mrs for acquisition and Prof for posting!

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Thanks for making the pictures possible!  Thanks to Mrs for acquisition and Prof for posting!

She's enjoying them as we speak, thank you. The memory card seems to hold endless pictures. The camera can even capture birds in flight!

Me, on the other hand ... I'm fighting a case of "oh [redacted]" now.

We got a notice in the mail today from Blue Cross of a claim submitted by a non-plan provider. We've almost certainly tracked it back to Spine Team Texas and their drug testing company, from when my spine doctor initially put me on hydrocodone. There were no notices that I can remember that the testing would be performed by either an out-of-network or by a non-preferred provider.

The charges they've advised us of total over $1,000.00.

Since then, Spine Team Texas has performed another round of testing, when I went from 3x hydrocodone a day to 4x a day. I'm willing to bet they used the same out-of-network/non-preferred provider. Mrs. Prof was with me then, as she was the first time. She doesn't remember seeing any warnings either.

We're potentially staring at more than $2,000.00 in medical bills just for me going to the bathroom in a cup twice.

Dear Lord, what did we do to deserve this? It's like the place loves playing "Gotcha!" with their services. How the hell can they do this to someone and sleep soundly at night? I can't [redacted] believe this.

Mrs. Prof is the only one of us who fully understands the ins and outs of our insurance, so she's probably going to spend a lot of time raising her voice at people Monday. This is literally making me sick to my stomach, even if the outcome isn't fully determined yet. They don't make an anti-anxiety pill big enough to deal with this.

13 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Dear Lord, what did we do to deserve this? It's like the place loves playing "Gotcha!" with their services. How the hell can they do this to someone and sleep soundly at night? I can't [redacted] believe this.

Mrs. Prof is the only one of us who fully understands the ins and outs of our insurance, so she's probably going to spend a lot of time raising her voice at people Monday. This is literally making me sick to my stomach, even if the outcome isn't fully determined yet. They don't make an anti-anxiety pill big enough to deal with this.

You did nothing to deserve this. It is merely the perversity of bureaucracy tending towards a maximum. Nonetheless, I have confidence that Mrs. Prof will send these medical vultures packing. I am having some trouble believing that whatever move they pulled is completely legal. And a much easier time believing that it is a stunt pulled on sick people in a poor state to defend themselves in the hopes of extracting as much money as possible from them, or possibly a stupid mismanagement of your case they are hoping to make you pay for instead of themselves.

Not to bypass your kind words, tOH (which are very much appreciated), but we received more cat toys today, presumably via the Amazon Wish List. Mrs. Prof wanted me to say a big "Thank You!," and tell you all that our cat says, "Meow!"

12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I hit my "directly post the picture into the post" limit ages ago. I get around it with the 910cmx image gallery, which doesn't seem to have a limit.

I figured out how to "clean out" some of what you've used from the picture post limit. Go to the top of the forum page and find your forum name in the upper right corner. Click on it to get the pull-down menu, then click on "My Attachments." From there you'll be able to delete old image posts. I found one that took up nearly half my limit on its own!

As for future posts, I agree - the image gallery is probably the way to go. The only problem is that it makes the images cross-forum public (as if that's a big deal, given the forum sizes).

Trying out the Gallery with yesterday's Trail Camera Image of the Day:

large.Bird01a_20170520_02.jpg

Cat food isn't just for cats anymore, it would seem. :)

BTW, there is a 100-image-per-user limit on the gallery, but apparently no size limit.

15 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I figured out how to "clean out" some of what you've used from the picture post limit. Go to the top of the forum page and find your forum name in the upper right corner. Click on it to get the pull-down menu, then click on "My Attachments." From there you'll be able to delete old image posts. I found one that took up nearly half my limit on its own!

Huh. I guess I'm not almost gone. I guess I thought there wasn't a lot of space for attachments to begin with. I thought the maximum space allotted for attachments was much higher than it is, which is why I stopped using it when I hit 0.26MB remaining since I thought that was a mere sliver. Turns out it's just over half my space. Thanks a bunch! 

17 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

BTW, there is a 100-image-per-user limit on the gallery...

This is a bit more worrisome...

I've set up a thread for posting future trail camera photos. There are a bunch of rules for it, but participation within those rules is welcome. Come on over! I could use the psychological lift. :)

8:31 a.m. CDT 20170521. I am seriously slowing down after my last surgery. Walking with the pins in my foot has decreased my velocity and agility. I don't completely understand why—you'd think that the potential for healing would make my gait a bit more chipper. Quite the opposite. My stamina has decreased as well. I don't know if it's the pins, the amount of time that I have to keep my foot elevated, or something else. Very frustrating.

My mental stamina is coming and going in waves. Right now, it's ebbing away. So is this update. I'll check back in later.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

8:31 a.m. CDT 20170521. I am seriously slowing down after my last surgery. Walking with the pins in my foot has decreased my velocity and agility. I don't completely understand why—you'd think that the potential for healing would make my gait a bit more chipper. Quite the opposite. My stamina has decreased as well. I don't know if it's the pins, the amount of time that I have to keep my foot elevated, or something else. Very frustrating.

My mental stamina is coming and going in waves. Right now, it's ebbing away. So is this update. I'll check back in later.

It could also be the fact that you just had surgery...

Unless an actual doctor says otherwise, I would suggest that you push yourself to the point of discomfort or tiredness, but not pain or exhaustion. And if the discomfort or tiredness starts coming sooner and sooner, you need to talk with one or more of the docs again.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It could also be the fact that you just had surgery...

Unless an actual doctor says otherwise, I would suggest that you push yourself to the point of discomfort or tiredness, but not pain or exhaustion. And if the discomfort or tiredness starts coming sooner and sooner, you need to talk with one or more of the docs again.

Sense spoken here.

I came home with a bit more energy than I've had today, believe it or not. Could be emotional stress as well—hell of a lot of things ganging up on me lately, mentally and physically. I judge how tired I am by how long I can stay awake during an IndyCar event. I was streaming qualification of cars positioned 10 through 33 on ESPN3 until it came on ABC. I fell asleep after about the first dozen cars and woke up once it switched back to the network.

I judge that as moderately exhausted. ;)

Mrs. Prof came home and caught me watching (read: sleeping through) the "Fast 9" pole position shoot-out for next week's Indy 500. She immediately made me switch away from it so I wouldn't spoil it for her. We're watching it together now. :)

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Mrs. Prof came home and caught me watching (read: sleeping through) the "Fast 9" pole position shoot-out for next week's Indy 500. She immediately made me switch away from it so I wouldn't spoil it for her. We're watching it together now. :)

Give her my regards. So good to hear that you are having fun together, fun is one of the best recovery aids I know. :) Also thank her for the pictures!

You know that feeling when you think the  Loperamide has kicked in, but you aren't 100% sure?

I do not trust the wind tonight.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

You know that feeling when you think the  Loperamide has kicked in, but you aren't 100% sure?

I do not trust the wind tonight.

Keep an eye on that Shub-Niggurath-begotten dishwasher of yours. I bet it is just waiting to snatch an opportunity.