• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

11 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Mrs. Prof is going to have a problem with this. They told me to go up to the full dosage of 60mg per day. All I can do is argue "nurse's orders."

God, I hate this.

I am sorry. I have an idea of how hard it must be for both of you. I spent years being terrified of medication, too, so I have at least an inkling of how she feels. Please tell her that she has my sympathies and that I hope you will both make it through this.

If you wish me to, I'll relate some of my own experiences. I am not sure if they will be of any use but they might possibly give a little perspective.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I am sorry. I have an idea of how hard it must be for both of you. I spent years being terrified of medication, too, so I have at least an inkling of how she feels. Please tell her that she has my sympathies and that I hope you will both make it through this.

If you wish me to, I'll relate some of my own experiences. I am not sure if they will be of any use but they might possibly give a little perspective.

Well, she accepted it, as long as it came from a nurse. We're switching back to 4x a day dosing, though. 4am/10am/4pm/10pm, if it works, 15mg per dose. That'll start tomorrow, because I've already taken my 20mg dose for this morning.

Quite frankly, the nurse was perplexed at why I wasn't taking the full dose. I didn't get a chance to explain Mrs. Prof's paranoia over the whole thing. Besides, I'm only going to be at that level for two days prior to the procedure. I'm more scared over the procedure than I am over the medication, to be honest. She doesn't seem to be worried at all over the procedure.

5:07 p.m. CDT 20170816. Weird developments after taking my 20mg dose. Mrs. Prof went in to the office today, so I took advantage to try a couple of new audio plugins and listen to how they work on some music. One thing led to another, and I eventually wound up going through most of my old files, looking for stuff to work with. I then crashed out.

I woke up about 45 minutes ago and couldn't find Loudmouth. Baker was easy to find—he came out of his litter box, barfed an empty stomach on the floor, and went to refill it. He'd apparently scared Loudmouth so bad that he wouldn't come out from under the bed for a good 15 minutes. Once I got him out and reassured him, I got back on the computer and switched over to the news.

I'm glad I'm not doing 3x20mg beyond today (it'll be 4x15mg from tomorrow on). Twenty mg is a bit much.

8:03 a.m. CDT 20170817. T minus 28 hours 17 minutes until I go into the hospital for my pain procedure. I'm getting nervous as hell, and Mrs. Prof isn't having it. I'm making a grocery list, since I can have things like soup and cranberry juice up until 8 hours before the 12:20 p.m. CDT procedure. One item on it is Campbell's Beef Consommé, which she claims she's never seen. I am dubious, since I used to do all of the household shopping until I got sick. I e-mailed her a link (you can see it here) so she can't say she doesn't know what it looks like.

I have yet to hear from the hospital, and I'm starting to doubt that I ever will. I'll just show up at 12:20 tomorrow and get ushered back to a surgical area. I'm borderline freaking out, given my previous experiences. God, I'm just staring at the page here, trying to think of something to type, and nothing is coming up. My right back/side is hurting, and I can't take my next dose until 10am. I need strength that I don't have right now, and I don't know where I'm going to get it from.

I am scared.

14 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I have yet to hear from the hospital, and I'm starting to doubt that I ever will. I'll just show up at 12:20 tomorrow and get ushered back to a surgical area. I'm borderline freaking out, given my previous experiences. God, I'm just staring at the page here, trying to think of something to type, and nothing is coming up. My right back/side is hurting, and I can't take my next dose until 10am. I need strength that I don't have right now, and I don't know where I'm going to get it from.

I am scared.

The one thing I have managed to do to steady myself at times like this is to remind myself that when something like this is coming up for me, the day after that it will be over for good or for ill. For some reason, it has helped me. I am not sure what would help you but I do know that paralysing fear.

And I want you to know that you are not alone. We are with you in our thoughts. This too shall pass, old friend. Endure, and get better.

Same here.  We'll be crossing our fingers, sending good vibes, whatever we can do to encourage the fickle finger of fate to favor you!  ;-)

And hey, you've got the eclipse to look forward to afterwards, right?  Even a partial is cool enough to look forward to!  Got glasses or pinhole camera ready?  Figured out a way to either get to the right window or maybe even go outside near the peak?  Or, worst case, found a live feed from somewhere in the path of totality you can watch if you're not up to going out?

43 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

And I want you to know that you are not alone. We are with you in our thoughts. This too shall pass, old friend. Endure, and get better.

Much appreciated. I'm driving Mrs. Prof a bit spare at the moment with my worrying. I get the feeling a Zofran emergency will be called for tonight. Two hours of back procedure. Not fun.

32 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Same here.  We'll be crossing our fingers, sending good vibes, whatever we can do to encourage the fickle finger of fate to favor you!  ;-)

Complete with wings on the finger? Now, that I can relate to!

33 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

And hey, you've got the eclipse to look forward to afterwards, right?  Even a partial is cool enough to look forward to!  Got glasses or pinhole camera ready?  Figured out a way to either get to the right window or maybe even go outside near the peak?  Or, worst case, found a live feed from somewhere in the path of totality you can watch if you're not up to going out?

I can make a pinhole camera. At the very least, there's the Science channel's coast-to-coast coverage.

I'm a member of the University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band, and as such an incredible opportunity has opened up to me. Here's the Longhorn Alumni Band (LHAB) invitation:

Dear LHAB Members,

The Longhorn Alumni Band has been offered and has accepted an invitation to perform as the main musical ensemble for the 75th Anniversary Celebrations of D-Day in Normandy, France in June 2019. As you all know, the LHAB is the largest and proudest organization of its kind in the world, and now we continue to be recognized on the world stage.  We will be performing special music and all required national anthems at both public wreath-laying ceremonies at the American Cemeteries at St. James and Omaha Beach. These are very special and incredibly moving ceremonies.

Below are the basic facts and details of the trip. We encourage you to consider joining us. For those who participated in the LHAB London trip, this trip will be much different, but like London, it will be incredibly rewarding. Our very own Mel Kusin (LHB (Longhorn Band - ed.) baritone) was in Patton’s 3rd Army and participated in the first D-Day Anniversary Parade. Mel is going! This trip is also open to all LHB students, so the already great sound of the LHAB may get a big boost. LHB director Dr. Scott Hanna will be leading us, so get out your horn and start practicing!

The trip is organized by Historic Programs and you can see a video of past trips via the link below. Very shortly, you will receive an invitation packet containing registration and payment information from Chris Meeker with Historic Programs and we ask that you register by September 15, 2017. Your first payment is due October 1, 2017 (see below). Family and friends can go with us as guests, but only LHB and LHAB members will be performing. We will also create a link to the trip on our LHAB website that will contain additional information.

Thanks to my health, I'm not going to be able to go. I can't even handle a trip down to Austin for an LHAB performance. There is no way, not even with tomorrow's procedure, that I would be able to guarantee my health through September 15 of this year, much less June of 2019.

My wife's father came in on the second wave as a medic at Omaha Beach on D-Day and survived. Imagine what emotions she would experience at such an event.

Damn frustrating thing to receive one day before the major medical procedure I'm going to go through.

3:56 p.m. CDT 20170817. Whew. Just talked to Baylor Scott & White's Pain Management department and cleared up one rather big point. I'm not going to be unconscious for two hours tomorrow. I'm only going to be out for 20 minutes. I will be there for two hours, though, mostly in post-op as they make sure I'm in good shape after the procedure and don't have any spinal damage.

It's still a scary thought, as tomorrow's 12:20 p.m. CDT appointment time approaches.

12 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

3:56 p.m. CDT 20170817. Whew. Just talked to Baylor Scott & White's Pain Management department and cleared up one rather big point. I'm not going to be unconscious for two hours tomorrow. I'm only going to be out for 20 minutes. I will be there for two hours, though, mostly in post-op as they make sure I'm in good shape after the procedure and don't have any spinal damage.

It's still a scary thought, as tomorrow's 12:20 p.m. CDT appointment time approaches.

Out for 20 minutes with an hour and half recovery time is much better than out for 2 hours and 4+ hours recovery.  Glad to hear that.

18 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Out for 20 minutes with an hour and half recovery time is much better than out for 2 hours and 4+ hours recovery.  Glad to hear that.

You speak the truth there. That's what I went through in the 2009 broken ankle disaster. It took them an hour per ankle for the rebuild operation.

In other news, this 60mg hydrocodone daily total is harder than hell to get used to. I'm getting hit by an uppercut every time I take a dose.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm a member of the University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band, and as such an incredible opportunity has opened up to me. Here's the Longhorn Alumni Band (LHAB) invitation:

Thanks to my health, I'm not going to be able to go. I can't even handle a trip down to Austin for an LHAB performance. There is no way, not even with tomorrow's procedure, that I would be able to guarantee my health through September 15 of this year, much less June of 2019.

My wife's father came in on the second wave as a medic at Omaha Beach on D-Day and survived. Imagine what emotions she would experience at such an event.

Damn frustrating thing to receive one day before the major medical procedure I'm going to go through.

Tell you what....see how things are going through the end of the year.  If, by some chance, some miracle, you are doing really well, and think that you would be able to go, then try contacting the organizers.  If you explain about your chronic pain and how you didn't think you'd be able to go, there is at least a chance that they'd be able to squeeze you in.  And if that's not possible, tell them about your wife's connection and ask them if there's any way she could join them without you.  Heck, you could ask them about that now!  If you ask nicely, occasionally people can accomodate a lot more than you expect, and it doesn't hurt to ask!

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Tell you what....see how things are going through the end of the year.  If, by some chance, some miracle, you are doing really well, and think that you would be able to go, then try contacting the organizers.  If you explain about your chronic pain and how you didn't think you'd be able to go, there is at least a chance that they'd be able to squeeze you in.  And if that's not possible, tell them about your wife's connection and ask them if there's any way she could join them without you.  Heck, you could ask them about that now!  If you ask nicely, occasionally people can accommodate a lot more than you expect, and it doesn't hurt to ask!

I've talked to Mrs. Prof, and her Bucket-list item was fulfilled when the WWII monument went up in DC. Her father didn't talk much about what he saw at Normandy, probably because of all of the carnage he witnessed. I'm not sure she'd want to go by herself, especially since she didn't make LHB during auditions.

4:52 a.m. CDT 20170818. My appointment is less than eight hours away, with the actual procedure scheduled for 1:00 p.m. or so. I can have liquids until 5am, and then I can take my 10am hydrocodone dose with a small swallow of water. I can hydrate for just a few more minutes.

Mrs. Prof actually found Beef Consommé at the store and complained about the price when she got home. She wouldn't if she tasted it. It's high up on the umami scale, with soy sauce, carrots, celery, and onion, all cooked in and reduced then strained. I don't remember the exact recipe, but I think I saw Julia Child make it once. Very good stuff. Nom. My last meal before the procedure.

5:08 a.m. CDT. I've hydrated as much as I can. All that's left is my shower, brushing my teeth, and the 10am hydrocodone dose. No other liquids. I'm going to try and stay asleep as much as I can, and that won't be difficult—the hydrocodone is already making it hard for me to see. Thank God I already have all of my paperwork filled out. The nerves are kicking in, so I'm going to take advantage of the "small sip of water" rule to take an extra lorazepam, since I won't be able to take it at my normal time today.

I'll chronicle any other thoughts that come to mind. Hopefully there won't be that many. Please wish me luck.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Please wish me luck.

Consider it wished!  Here's to this procedure helping to relieve your pain, and eventually leading to you being able to drive again!

10:15 a.m. CDT 20170818. Just took my last hydrocodone before the procedure. Waiting for it to kick in a little before I take a shower. That's as difficult as driving. Got a bit of a chill. That's one thing I hate about hospitals, operations, and "procedures"—they're always so cold.

10:21 a.m. CDT. Mrs.Prof is taking her shower first, leaving me to sit here, shiver, and think about the next part of the procedure that I can't stand—the I.V. Lord, I absolutely hate them, and my veins do, to. They seem to know when a needle is coming. They'll trick the nurse into thinking they've found one, then run and hide. I can't count the number of times they've had to re-start an I.V. on me. A couple of times, they've gone in one side of the vein, out the other, and started it anyway. I get horrible, painful bruises when they do that.

10:35 a.m. CDT. The hydrocodone is finally starting to kick in. Mrs. Prof is finishing up her shower, so it's my turn now. See you after the procedure!

Oh, veins that run and hide are  pain in the... um... neck. Well, usually in the arm. I don't mind blood draws (I even watch), but my veins do - and they run and hide.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

9:09 p.m. CDT 20170818. I am home, and I seem to be okay. I'm a bit sore, and I will be for 3-5 days until the cortisone kicks in on the proper nerve endings. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm going back to sleep for now.

Sleep well, old friend. And get better. :)

15 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Oh, veins that run and hide are  pain in the... um... neck. Well, usually in the arm. I don't mind blood draws (I even watch), but my veins do - and they run and hide.

Before I had my wisdom teeth out, a nurse tried both elbows and the back of one hand before finally giving up and going to call in "the resident vampire"....who had it in and flowing the first site she tried within thirty seconds at most.  Since then, I've asked for the Resident Vampire, telling that tale as needed.  Sometimes it weeds out the most inexperienced, who really don't have much of a shot at my veins anyway.  Someone of moderate skill I don't really mind if they try one arm, as long as they don't blow every vein before the best on staff eventually comes in.

On the plus side, when they can get a good stick, the blood bank can often get at least a double product of platelets out of me, occasionally a triple. :-)

8:00 a.m. CDT 20170819. I hate waking up from procedures. Thank you for your good wishes on making this one a good wake-up. I'm still woozy and still surprised that this was the only wheelchair-optional hospital I've ever been to. It was quite a walk to the car, and getting in wasn't easy at all.

Can't sit up long on this one. Will stay in touch. Thanks for all you've done.

5:38 p.m. CDT 20170818. Still recovering. I had a moment where I almost fell due to trouble walking this morning. Right now, I'm on my second ice pack of the day on my back. The doctor says I can have up to three today, and I'm gonna need 'em. Still having trouble concentrating on things. Breathing is hard enough to concentrate on.