• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Good lord! I've had a big toenail removed without the numbing spray, but of course without the frostbite and without the matching toenail removed. Not something I'd want to live through.

Twice.  Granted the same day.

Saw the folks at the pain center yesterday. Found out they only did injections on my right side during my last transforaminal procedure. That explains why my left side of my back is starting to hurt again - it was just getting carryover from the steroids on the right.

Well, that's getting taken care of soon. I'm getting a set of transforaminal injections on my left side. I hope it carries over to my right, because that's starting to hurt again.

They've got to clear it with my insurance first, but I'm guessing sometime within the next three months.

OK, I'm coming off Abilify and on to Risperdal.  Change over starts today.  I'm taking my night time meds now and am going to go to bed, the mess up with the transportation hit me harder than I thought it did, so I'm going to grab a couple of PDF files and/or dead tree game books and look for ideas / nap / go to sleep until the morning.

Don't know if my current lack of sleep is medical, emotional or what, but it's getting spoken about next Friday, when I see the shrink again.

Went back to the podiatrist for a followup. My toe is still red, and the nail bed is presenting "proud flesh." He trimmed some of that off and clipped the adjoining toenail, then put me back on 10 days of Clindamycin. I'm supposed to soak in water, vinegar, and epsom salts for two weeks and then come see him again.

I never have healed well. Even before I became diabetic, and even now that I'm no longer diabetic (per my cardiologist). Wounds just take forever to heal with me.

Yeah, I go through bouts of not sleeping too sometimes.  I can fall asleep just fine when I actually go to bed, and sometimes on couch or recliner instead.  I just don't seem to have any urge to get myself to bed.  I'm generally not doing anything all that interesting or important; although I may or may not be intending to do something, I just end up putzing around online, or reading a book, or chatting about TV shows, or watching episodes of Nova or Murder She Wrote or whatever.  It's like my internal clock thinks it's time to be awake.  If I take melatonin it might make me sleepy, but getting myself to the melatonin can be a problem.  

Especially bad are the occasional times when I'll be at work after everyone else has gone home for the night, supposedly finishing a few charts, and actually wind up nodding off at my desk.  I'll wake up anywhere from a few minutes later, to four or five in the morning.  It's a viscious circle....the more sleep I miss, the less efficient I get, and the more things there are to finish before I can go home.  Occasionally I wise up and go to bed early, setting my alarm to wake me up to go in early to finish the charts, or just call it quits for the night and let them wait if the next day looks slow.

Funny thing is, if I do wind up working on stuff at three or four in the morning, for whatever reason, I'm much more efficient then, even if I'd only gotten a couple of hours of sleep, or even none at all.  Like I said, I wonder sometimes if my internal clock is upside-down and thinks that night is day and day is night.

I'm starting to get really mad at the second toe on my left foot. My podiatrist says that the wound from removing the toenail has physically healed, but it's still infected after two runs of antibiotics. He's put me on a seven day supply of Augmentin to see if it's going to heal at all. If it doesn't show any healing after seven days (at a follow-up appointment on the 22nd), he's going to have to use something stronger (I think).

That would also mean that my back injection session, scheduled for the 29th, would have to be postponed, since I can't have antibiotics in my system seven days prior to my procedure.

I'm still soaking my foot (with the help of Mrs. Prof) in a solution of vinegar and epsom salts to attack the infection from the outside. We don't know if that's doing any good either.

Even after the infection's knocked out, there's still work to be done on that toe. It's developed into a "hammer toe." The joint is painful as a result. It will need surgery to fix.

Just got back from the podiatrist. He says my infected second toe on my left foot doesn't look infected anymore. That's good news, since it means I can stop taking antibiotics and have my back injections next week as scheduled.

Unfortunately, my third toe on my left foot doesn't look so good. In fact, it's broken. I rammed it into a cat scratch tower a couple of days ago. The only thing keeping me on my feet is oxycodone.

I also seem to have pulled a muscle that connects my groin to my knee on my left leg. That hurts to move regardless of the amount of oxycodone I'm taking. I'm having a tremendous amount of trouble getting into and out of our vehicles as a result.

Someone wanna trade bodies?

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Someone wanna trade bodies?

I'm afraid that the customer reviews on yours are rather negative... so sorry, I'll pass.

While I should be whooping it up over the official release of my debut album and the successful completion of another round of back injections, unfortunately I'm not. Something went wrong in the surgery.

The first thing I noticed was a burning pain in my left eye and a constant draining from it and from my left nostril. The nurses didn't know what was going on. One nurse just flushed my eye with saline 4 or 5 times. I kept having to blow my nose and catch the tears from my eye. I was also shivering like crazy and unbalanced; I needed help getting dressed. They held me for another 30 minutes until the shivering stopped and I could stand on my own. They then sent me home.

The draining got worse after I got home. It eventually got uncontrollable while standing to the point that I had to stuff a napkin into my nose. My eye is worse, too: I can't focus through it, even with my glasses. We read for side effects and found that these were part of them, and than the eye one was particularly nasty. I therefore called the on-call doctor, got the answering service, left a message, and never heard back from anyone.

My doctor's office is supposed to call today and check up on me. It's not going to be a pretty call.

If there's a known side effect, and there's a treatment for it, that might be worth a trip to the ER.  They'd probably be able to contact your doctor if nothing else.  Some things can get worse or become permanent if not treated quickly enough.

Talked to the nurse about an hour ago. She tried to blow me off, even asking me at one point if I sleep with my eyes partially open. I eventually convinced her to talk to the doctor. A few minutes later, the nurse calls back, saying that it's not related to the surgery. Very patronizing. I returned her attitude and hung up.

Now I'm waiting for an eye doctor appointment at 1pm to see if it is some sort of eye issue. It still hurts, still waters, and my nose still drips. This is making me lose my cool.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

Talked to the nurse about an hour ago. She tried to blow me off, even asking me at one point if I sleep with my eyes partially open. I eventually convinced her to talk to the doctor. A few minutes later, the nurse calls back, saying that it's not related to the surgery. Very patronizing. I returned her attitude and hung up.

Now I'm waiting for an eye doctor appointment at 1pm to see if it is some sort of eye issue. It still hurts, still waters, and my nose still drips. This is making me lose my cool.

That nurse should not only be fired and kicked out so hard that she bounces six times after hitting the street outside, she should be barred from practicing in the medical profession.

43 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Ahem.

Turns out the doctor was right. I have a scratch on my cornea. I'm supposed to apply all the usual eye drops and gels to get it to heal for the next week.

As long as it isn't anything worse. I don't need my weird nightmare about dental Ebola coming alive or something.

Welp, it's finally happened,. I'm going senile. Went into a room and started looking for my glasses. Couldn't find them. Went to another room, couldn't find them there.  Lather, rinse, repeat three times. Finally realized that not only were they on my head, I'd been looking through them the entire time.

I'm either senile or I'm being affected by the corneal scratch. I have to use a magnifying glass to see text on my screen at times since the scratch happened.

45 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Finally realized that not only were they on my head, I'd been looking through them the entire time.

This happened to me once as well. Only I had them shoved up on my forehead. I spent far too long a time looking for them before it dawned on me that I was wearing them.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You might get the impression that with all the times humans don't use their brain, we shouldn't need to worry about it running down before the rest of the body.

Sometimes it seems like the entirety of our Parliament here in Denmark hardly has two brain cells to rub together on a cold day but this does not seem to impede them much.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Sometimes it seems like the entirety of our Parliament here in Denmark hardly has two brain cells to rub together on a cold day but this does not seem to impede them much.

Legislative bodies in general... there may be exceptions but I certainly can't identify one.