• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

One of the FDA newsletters we get at work covers new meds for people as well as pets.  There's an announcement about "a new treatment for episodic cluster headache that reduces the frequency of attacks" which was just approved.  It's called Emgality (galcanezumab-gnlm) solution for injection, apparently self-injection but it doesn't say how often or whether it's a set schedule or as needed.  Given how many people here have mentioned headaches regularly, I thought it was worth mentioning here.  :-)

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

One of the FDA newsletters we get at work covers new meds for people as well as pets.  There's an announcement about "a new treatment for episodic cluster headache that reduces the frequency of attacks" which was just approved.  It's called Emgality (galcanezumab-gnlm) solution for injection, apparently self-injection but it doesn't say how often or whether it's a set schedule or as needed.  Given how many people here have mentioned headaches regularly, I thought it was worth mentioning here.  :-)

Noted.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

As well. Don't think I have cluster headaches, though. Those are more nasty than what I get.

18 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

As well. Don't think I have cluster headaches, though. Those are more nasty than what I get.

Quick rule of thumb, so to speak.  If the headache is on one side of the head, it's a migraine.  If it is behind one eye it's likely a cluster headache. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320767.php

I've been keeping my podiatrist busy again. Had part of the nail of my right big toe removed Wednesday. It had gone ingrown on me, and I only just noticed the pain a few days prior to my scheduled follow-up appointment (for the surgery to amputate most of the third toe on my left foot - that part went well). He gave me a couple of anesthesia shots into my big toe - quite painlessly and very skillfully I should say - and then cut into and removed the right edge of the nail. Turns out it had grown thick due to previous trauma (long story), and the ingrown portion had developed a nasty, sharp hook which was causing the recent pain. He treated the nail bed with a mixture of phenol and something else, which should prevent that part of the nail from ever growing back.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, CritterKeeper said:

How's the big toe doing?  Is the Clavamox Augmentin working?  Or did you have to discontinue it due to the hives?

It's feeling better, at long last. The Augmentin gave me stomach trouble, but it didn't mess with my hives. Those responded to hydroxyzine for once. Never have before.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, ijuin said:

Ah, then congrats on getting some relief.

Thank you. It's been a long time coming. I do wish my stomach would return to normal now, though ... gotta give it the old probiotic/Greek yogurt shuffle.

Now, my right foot has what my wife says is a Plantar Wart. Sigh. It never ends. Oh well, as long as it doesn't interfere with my plans to go to Iowa to see the IndyCar race on the 21st.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:38 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

—all $141 of it, for a month's supply. I find it odd that it is an antidepressant, yet the price is so high that it is depressing just to purchase it.

"We can sell it for $41 for a month's supply." "No, marketing says to charge $141, it will increase the demand."

Wish me luck, folks. Time for another back surgery/procedure Monday morning (7/29). I'm having a lumbar rhizotomy done on the lower left side of my back - in other words, they're going in and doing a radio ablation on my nerve endings again. The last one wore off after about 6 months. I go into the hospital at 9:10 a.m. CDT. I've got about a half-hour to drink as many fluids as I can before I have to shut down all oral intake.

15 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Wish me luck, folks. Time for another back surgery/procedure Monday morning (7/29). I'm having a lumbar rhizotomy done on the lower left side of my back - in other words, they're going in and doing a radio ablation on my nerve endings again. The last one wore off after about 6 months. I go into the hospital at 9:10 a.m. CDT. I've got about a half-hour to drink as many fluids as I can before I have to shut down all oral intake.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks! This one has gone relatively well, compared to past rhizotomies. I let the anesthesiologist give me both Versed and Propofol. I usually have problems with Versed, but last time when I asked him to leave it out, I had rather unbearable post-op pain (go figure, eh?) in the right side of my back. No such pain this time around (in the left side). I was having some bad double-vision problems for the first few hours afterward, but a nap took care of that. I'm now on my second post-op oxycodone dose, and the pain is more-or-less under control at about a 5 as long as I don''t get up and move around too much. We'll see if it survives until Brenda complies with National Chicken Wing Day and brings home dinner from Wing Stop.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-chicken-wing-day-july-29/

I seem to have been hearing of a lot of National (food item) Days lately--National Hot Dog Day, National Ice Cream Day, National Root Beer Float Day, and now National Chicken Wing Day.

It's Tuesday, and the pain relief has been holding steadily since I got home Monday. It even held through a dentist's appointment today (two fillings and a temporary crown - that bit is still sore due to all of the injections I got for the crown). Granted, I've been asleep for most of the day save for the dental appointment. That's probably a good thing, since it's letting me get the Versed out of my system (I have big problems with Versed, normally). Fingers still crossed, and chicken wings eaten. :)

I'm back in Foot Hell.

Saw the podiatrist yesterday for a continuing problem with an ulcer on the ball of my right foot. He trimmed it down, drained a pus pocket (yum), and took a culture for a biopsy. Also put me on Augmentin until the biopsy results come back. Meanwhile, I've also developed "spots" on toes #2 and #4 of the same foot which he says are in danger of developing into bone infections, just like the ones on my left foot did.

He gave me a pad to wear under my smaller toes which will raise them up (I've got "hammertoes") to a flat level. He's also mail-ordering a knee-scooter for me that he wants me to use in order to take the weight completely off of my right foot until everything heals up. No idea how long I'm going to be on that.

Major annoyance. I mean, I'm not diabetic (A1C = 5.2), so why the hell is this happening?

Got results on the pus pocket culture on my foot. Turns out it was just a clean abscess - no bacterial infection. Meanwhile, I'm continuing the antibiotics until I'm done with the prescribed course.

My knee-scooter is scheduled to arrive Saturday morning, according to voice mail left by the doctor's office. 'Bout damned time. My ulcer is killing me.

My knee-scooter has arrived, fully covered by my insurance (I've met my catastrophic deductible yet again), fully assembled, and accompanied by someone to show me how to use it. I've already managed to figure out how to navigate most of the house with it.

Only one problem: the padding is insufficient for my gimpy right knee. I've got bone-on-bone arthritis, and it hurts to use the thing. I'm going to have to send Mrs. Prof to Michael's for some foam rubber and some elastic so we can add more padding to the knee part of the cushion. Otherwise, I'm going to injure myself using the thing.

Out of the frying pan ... :(

The foam rubber isn't helping. My knee is too badly damaged. I never really have pain from it when I'm standing or walking, so this comes as a bit of a surprise. I mean, I've never been able to put weight on my knees, but I didn't know how pinpoint the pain was—or at least, I'd forgotten. My last diagnosis was back in 2010.

But this is incredibly bad. I may give up trying to use the knee-scooter altogether because of the pain. Time to see a knee doctor, I guess.