• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Itchy eye. Sorry to hear it. The doctors probably told you to keep your hands away from your eye for a month, at least. Makes my eyes itch just thinking about it.

Actually just the opposite. I gotta put drops in one every 4 hrs and one 4x a day and I gotta wear a patch at night until next time I see the doctor (in a week). The good news from the follow up in Kissimmee today the retina is in decent shape, the placement of the intraocular implant is stable, and while the cornea is, understandably, inflamed, it is quite treatable with aforementioned drops. The bad news because the cataract fused to part of my iris it may be permanently discolored and the pupil may never be completely circular (small price to pay).

Honestly, I can't tell yet. I can see but everything is a bit off right now and I don't know if what's due to the inflamed cornea which the doctor, said will affect things until it's finished being treated, and what's due to the getting used to the new lens, remember it takes a little while to get used to new lens and I've been pushing a year since this all started. Also, while he mentioned it it's probable he was warning me for cosmetic reasons, which as long as the eye works I'm willing to live with.

---

Here's a look. (Warning, I have a bit of a bleed in my sclera.)

http://i.imgur.com/ApDYNOF.jpg

The irritation is annoying but my vision is improving. The color spectrum and light levels seem a little off but not problematically so. I believe the chunk out the iris may have expanded part of my peripheral vision somewhat but I notice no other difference.

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

The irritation is annoying but my vision is improving. The color spectrum and light levels seem a little off but not problematically so. I believe the chunk out the iris may have expanded part of my peripheral vision somewhat but I notice no other difference.

Good. Please keep us posted -- I've been worried on your behalf!

I posted (slowly, as I'm doing now) last night in the Games area that I'd dropped a coffee table on my right hand. Unfortunately, I wasn't joking.

The table is a lift-top, somewhat like this, that brings my laptop to just the proper typing height. I managed to knock the tabletop back so that it un-lifted, and in the course of trying to get it not to fall, managed to get my right hand caught between the base and the tabletop.

I don't think that I broke anything. I can bend my fingers and make a fist, but my middle finger is developing a lengthwise bruise. It and my ring finger are starting to look a bit like sausages. They still work as long as I take it easy with them (and take tramadol on an every-four-hour schedule).

At least my laptop survived the fall unscathed. :aw_yeah:

And if you don't feel better soon, or you notice any of your fingers bending where they shouldn't or changing significantly in length, haul your hiney to a doctor to get it X-rayed and all the bones lined up to heal properly.

41 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I didn't see an allergist for respiratory allergies until many years after I moved back to Austin, in the early '90s. He gave me my test results using a scale of one-to-five stars, five being the worst allergy. He gave me seventeen stars for ragweed and said he'd never seen anyone as allergic to it as I was. He also exceeded the five-star rating on mountain cedar (I think that was eleven stars, but I'm not sure) and on a couple of other tree pollens.

You broke the scale on how bad allergies get!?

Finally over the "fall on your ass and break body parts" caused by jumping into the deep end of the pool with Cymbalta.  Shrink said it would take 4-5 weeks, and he was dead on target.   He also used the term "ride the bull" when we were talking about doing the slow build up vs going whole hog due to cost reasons.  I assumed "ride the bull" would mean manic phases, which at that time would have been good, given what was going on in my life.

No, it meant your sense of balance is going to take a vacation to the beach while you get adjusted.  The is exactly NOT what I needed while packing to move, moving and unpacking.

The only long lasting thing is I might have cracked my lowest rib on my left hand side, but other than sleep on my left side being Right Out it's not giving me any trouble and that is getting better.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Finally over the "fall on your ass and break body parts" caused by jumping into the deep end of the pool with Cymbalta.  Shrink said it would take 4-5 weeks, and he was dead on target.   He also used the term "ride the bull" when we were talking about doing the slow build up vs going whole hog due to cost reasons.  I assumed "ride the bull" would mean manic phases, which at that time would have been good, given what was going on in my life.

No, it meant your sense of balance is going to take a vacation to the beach while you get adjusted.  The is exactly NOT what I needed while packing to move, moving and unpacking.

The only long lasting thing is I might have cracked my lowest rib on my left hand side, but other than sleep on my left side being Right Out it's not giving me any trouble and that is getting better.

Glad to see you back on the forum. Cracked rib will heal. The rest of you will hopefully be much better off, if the Cymbalta does actually help you like it did me at first. Just remember why this thread began in the first place if the doctor tries to take you off of Cymbalta. I offer support if needed, what little I can give over the forum.

The opthamologist removed the stitch from my eyeball (I had not even realized it was in there until then). I'm cleared to set up my glasses appointment with whatever optometrist the insurance company allows me.

2 hours ago, PSadlon said:

The opthamologist removed the stitch from my eyeball (I had not even realized it was in there until then). I'm cleared to set up my glasses appointment with whatever optometrist the insurance company allows me.

Congratulations!

Mrs. Prof and I both spent the first part of the day today with our eyes dilated. We set up appointments with my regular ophthalmologist for diabetic retina checks. (She's never had one before, so I steered her towards my doctor.) Clean bills of health for both of us, although my wife's refraction results showed a couple of minor changes.

Next week comes the big horror: my colonoscopy. I'm seeing the same doctor that Mrs. Prof did for her colonoscopy, so by the end of the procedure he'll know a pair of married *ssh*les inside and out. :D

I should probably have one of those at some point but I really don't give a shit if I ever do. I have certain criteria for people who want to poke around in my butt and I've yet to meet a doctor who has met them.

It has begun. Twice now. Painful. Almost threw up before it got started. Been dizzy since drinking the purge medication.

To make a bad situation worse, I just read the Patient Information Guide on the purge medication and looked at the inactive ingredients. Guess what's listed?

Sucralose (i.e., Splenda).

I'M F***ING ALLERGIC TO SUCRALOSE!!!!!!!

I'm going to be suffering from hives in a couple of weeks. Damn these colonoscopies. I've never had one go right.

(... and yes, I did list sucralose as one of my food allergies when I went to the doctor's office.)

Spoke to the doctor-on-call. I don't have to take the second bottle of purge stuff. Instead, my wife has to go to the pharmacy and pick up some OTC magnesium citrate liquid and some Dulcolax. I have to take two Dulcolax pills with the magnesium citrate at 9:00 p.m. tonight. No need to cancel the colonoscopy.

I'm actually half glad about this, because it means I don't have to wait and go through this entire process again. Still don't want the colonoscopy.

It's now almost 11:30 p.m., and for a while tonight I thought I was going to wind up in the hospital.

Mrs. Prof brought home the magnesium citrate liquid + Dulcolax. I took them at 9:00 p.m. I wasn't sure that the liquid was all going to go down—it made me a bit queasy. Then the pain hit.

Ohmydearlord,

I haven't had pain like that since my emergency gallbladder removal. It felt like someone had stabbed me in the gut with a red-hot poker. I wasn't screaming in pain, but I was sure as hell yelling. I had to have help from Mrs. Prof to get back to the bathroom (thought I was gonna barf—didn't) and to get up off the floor and stand on my arthritic knees. After a few more minutes yelling in pain (and being asked if I needed to go to the hospital), the purge picked back up for its second wave.

Have you ever poured hydrochloric acid onto an open wound? Me neither, but I think I've got a good idea of what it feels like now.

The cumulative pain continued for 45 straight minutes. It came back in waves over the next hour. I think I'm going to have to go deal with another bout now. Just imagine—all of this, plus I can't have anything to drink after midnight. I'm trying to hydrate the hell out of myself before the dread midnight hour hits.

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

Smack the doc upside his quack head when you get there.

I plan on smacking someone, or at the very least telling them off for giving me the sucralose-laced poison that started all of this.

I don't care how old I get. If I have *any* say in the matter, I'm NEVER doing this again. EVER.

All clear on the colonoscopy front. I felt horrible this morning until they got me into the procedure room and administered the sedation. I woke up about 15 minutes later with a clean bill of health, with the exception of my colon being exceedingly long and "tortuous" (i.e., lots of loops that most people don't have). The doctor wants me to have another one in five years—possibly by CT scan—which I might agree to if I don't have to go through another purge.

I'm back home, feeling a bit drained (literally), and trying to get myself back into semi-normal shape. Just thankful that it's over.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

All clear on the colonoscopy front. I felt horrible this morning until they got me into the procedure room and administered the sedation. I woke up about 15 minutes later with a clean bill of health, with the exception of my colon being exceedingly long and "tortuous" (i.e., lots of loops that most people don't have). The doctor wants me to have another one in five years—possibly by CT scan—which I might agree to if I don't have to go through another purge.

I'm back home, feeling a bit drained (literally), and trying to get myself back into semi-normal shape. Just thankful that it's over.

Good to hear. Feel better soon, Prof, and take good care of yourself.

23 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't care how old I get. If I have *any* say in the matter, I'm NEVER doing this again. EVER.

There's at least one doctor getting some publicity who says that colon cancer is so slow to develop and grow that if a colonoscopy at age 50 is clear there's no point in ever getting another one done: even if you DO develop colon cancer later, you'll die of something else before it becomes a problem.

Forgot to add one little extra: a broken toe.

I got it during this, mentioned in an earlier post:

On 7/1/2016 at 11:37 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

I had to have help from Mrs. Prof to get back to the bathroom (thought I was gonna barf—didn't) and to get up off the floor and stand on my arthritic knees.

Somehow, on my way up, I put too much pressure on my #2 toe on my left foot. It's injured, most likely broken according to the doctors at the hospital on Friday. Of course, there's nothing I can do about it except "buddy-tape" it to an adjoining toe for support while it heals and continue to take my tramadol.

8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Somehow, on my way up, I put too much pressure on my #2 toe on my left foot. It's injured, most likely broken according to the doctors at the hospital on Friday. Of course, there's nothing I can do about it except "buddy-tape" it to an adjoining toe for support while it heals and continue to take my tramadol.

Oh Lord. Prof, I've already said this, but once again, do take care of yourself. I am serious -- go easy on yourself and try to take timeouts for something soothing when you can. We would all much rather see you get better soon, so be careful not to let irritation and frustration goad you into pushing yourself.