• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

Because the preparation sheet said I could start earlier if my schedule permits, I've started my Miralax.  1st dose down, waiting 15 minutes for the next

I've taken 2 dose of the hard stuff and just had my first "loose and watery stool" event.  Not going to like taking all 64 oz I'm sure.

I'm not quite done with the Miralax, but the liquid shits have stopped, or at least are coming farther apart than they were.

Just finished the last of the Miralax.  Haven't had a watery stool in about 20 minutes.  Might be over the worse of it now.

I've had a couple more watery stools, but like the sheet says "Hopefully you will finish evacuating the solution to have a good night's rest".  I'm going to try to go to sleep in a few and see how things go.[\spoiler]

Just got back from the hospital. Had a pretty long delay between putting on the "gown" and actually going into surgery room. Had one polyp, nothing else of note. Split a full rack of ribs with my friend who drove me. Really good ribs, the have their own smoker in the parking their parking lot. I'm still a bit loopy

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Really good ribs, the have their own smoker in the parking their parking lot. I'm still a bit loopy

Loopy from the ribs? I'll bet! That must have been one hell of a rack of ribs! :lol:

Glad to see you're okay. Welcome to the Polyp Removal Club!

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Loopy from the ribs? I'll bet! That must have been one hell of a rack of ribs! :lol:

Glad to see you're okay. Welcome to the Polyp Removal Club!

They were quite good, but not quite make you loopy.  The drugs they gave me to knock me out, on the other hand, were enough to make me loopy and sleepy.  I can see why they said no self driving home.

Hospital Update Wednesday 7/15/2021:

Finally, what appears to be some good news. My white blood cell scan looks like it has come back negative. I say "looks like" because I haven't officially been told this by a doctor yet; I've read it from the test results page of the hospital's Patient Portal website. If I'm correct, it means I won't have to have my big toe's hardware removed. I also think that it means I'll be on antibiotics a shorter length of time. The latter I won't be absolutely sure of until the doctors fill me in on the result.

My toe isn't as flamingly angry-looking as it has been, however, it still hurts quite badly. Add to that the fact that I've apparently popped my right shoulder while maneuvering in bed, and you get the result that I'm still in enough pain to warrant the use of Dilaudid. The net sum is a paragraph loaded with no fun.

On the anemia front, the doctors ran another round of blood tests yesterday. According to them, I'm still anemic. They did *not* test me for iron, though. I still don't know what, if anything, they're going to do to me for this.

Through all of it, my wife has been a saint. She's put up with my pains and infection without a gripe, other than to say she's bored (hell, *I'd* get bored sitting next to me all day, too!). She's brought me treats to keep my spirits up, has beaten the utter crap out of me at the card game of Gin, and has become the world land speed record holder at moving my behemoth of a laptop off of my patient table and back again. She deserves a Thank You note at least. If you want to send her one, PM me for our contact info.

I'll post another update when I get more details on the testing and the anemia. Stay tuned.

Update 3:00 p.m.:

I've now officially been told that I don't have a bone infection in my big toe. This is good news, since it means I only have to be on antibiotics for two weeks instead of six. It also puts me one day closer to discharge: the earliest I'll go home is tomorrow (Friday), but it's more likely that I'll be going home on Saturday.

My shoulder still hurts. I've been told that I damaged some tendons in there somehow. I'm supposed to go to a shoulder orthopedist when I get home and have a steroid injection done.

The doctors have switched one of my antibiotics to a narrower spectrum type. They've also ordered an iron infusion for me this afternoon to combat my iron deficiency and anemia. One downside to all the prescription progress: they've cut back on my Dilaudid dose in an effort to get me ready to go home. Feh. I'm just going to have to live with a little more pain for a few days, that's all.

It's official: I'm home.

I still have to undergo therapy via two IV antibiotics, but that's going to be handled at home, not in a hospital. A home health worker is going to come out and take care of that for us. What they're not going to take care of is the Dilaudid shots - those go bye-bye. :( In their place are my regular 4x daily oxycodone and 15 days' worth of lidocaine patches for my shoulder.

I want to thank all of you for your support while I was in the hospital. All of the kind words - they made a difference. Thank you.

Unfortunately, she's still pampering me. I had a setback yesterday. Took my sock off for a routine inspection of the affected big toe, and found that it was badly swollen again, as were both of my legs. She ordered me to sit up on the sofa with my legs elevated for the rest of the day. :(

Nope, didn't help. I'm back in the hospital with more swelling and level 8 pain (on a 1-10 scale). Went to the ER Monday night and got admitted around 4:30 a.m. Monday morning. Spent most of the time waiting for test results to come back, all of which were negative. The doctor admitted me to control the pain.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Spent most of the time waiting for test results to come back, all of which were negative.

Is negative test good or bad?  Hope they find out why you are having swelling and are able to stop it.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Is negative test good or bad?  Hope they find out why you are having swelling and are able to stop it.

Negative is good for my body, but bad for figuring out WTF is going on with my toe re: the pain and swelling.

@mlooney, I know you're following my updates on Facebook. For the sake of trying not to be redundant, I'd like to know who else is doing the same. I don't want to overload the forum unless there are those of you who aren't already seeing my hospital updates on Facebook. That is, if you're still interested ...