• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

I think I just got the anesthetic out of my system yesterday.

Then the Der Wienerschnitzel shake happened.

Mrs. Prof bought me a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup shake from DW last night, to go with a hot dog. Said shake had side effects. I tried to drink it slow to avoid them, but I failed. I wound up taking, in this order, Imodium, simethicone, and Zofran. Knocked my ass flat out. I woke up just before 6am after a night of weird dreams.

Back to the true subject of the thread, "Changing Medications." I had a talk with my new Psychiatrist yesterday. (My psychiatrist of more than 20 years retired over Thanksgiving.) She hit me with the rude awakening of a reduction in my lorazepam prescription, from 1/2 mg 4x a day to 1/2 a mg 3x a day. She warned me that I might have to come off of it, because the other psychiatrists at the practice don't prescribe it, and she might not be around all the time to prescribe it. Way to instill confidence in a patient's mind. She's definitely a screwball, and I'm not sure that I like her - I might seek a replacement.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

She hit me with the rude awakening of a reduction in my lorazepam prescription, from 1/2 mg 4x a day to 1/2 a mg 3x a day. She warned me that I might have to come off of it, because the other psychiatrists at the practice don't prescribe it, and she might not be around all the time to prescribe it.

My current shrink took my off lorazepam.  Because I've removed most things that triggered needing it, I don't miss it most of the time.  If I do need it, however, it sucks not to have it.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

My current shrink took my off lorazepam.  Because I've removed most things that triggered needing it, I don't miss it most of the time.  If I do need it, however, it sucks not to have it.

I tried to pull myself off of it a long time ago, back in 2005. Couldn't. Made me irritable as all hell. I fear for Mrs. Prof's sanity.

15 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Made me irritable as all hell. I fear for Mrs. Prof's sanity.

I'm very glad I was living by myself when I want off of lorazepam.  Of course if I wasn't by myself I most likely would not have come off it.

I really like my current shrink, but her German accent makes getting drug names a bit hard.  I'm going off Adderall and starting on <something I didn't get the name of> that is an anti-depressant and works for ADHD as well.  Other than that I'm staying the same, but I see her in a week to see how the new meds are working.

37 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I really like my current shrink, but her German accent makes getting drug names a bit hard.  I'm going off Adderall and starting on <something I didn't get the name of> that is an anti-depressant and works for ADHD as well.  Other than that I'm staying the same, but I see her in a week to see how the new meds are working.

Based on some google-fu and what I think she said, it's Bupropio

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Based on some google-fu and what I think she said, it's Bupropio

That's probably Bupropion, a.k.a. Wellbutrin. I've been on it for a good 20-25 years. It helps, but I have to take other stuff.

17 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

That's probably Bupropion, a.k.a. Wellbutrin. I've been on it for a good 20-25 years. It helps, but I have to take other stuff.

Yeah, I think I cut off a the 'n' during a cut and paste.  I'm on other stuff, this is to replace the Adderall.

I got my meds for the the next couple of weeks. And, yes the new med is bupropion AKA Wellbutrin. She gave me 15 pills, which given that I will be seeing her again Wedsday next week should be enough, even if I change to 300mg a day.

Saw the doctor yesterday. He told me to get my head examined.

Seriously, I went in for several related problems, beginning with the fall I had a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I've had another fall, albeit one that landed me onto my sofa (thank goodness), and a couple of other instances of my equilibrium going lax on me. I've also had several disturbing times where I've become dizzy and light-headed upon standing, and where the feeling did *not* go away after a couple of minutes as it has in the past. Top this off with frequent migraines, nausea, and several other disturbingly related symptoms, and you get one worried doctor.

He's scheduling me for an MRI on my skull. Hence the "get my head examined" joke from earlier. Ha ha.

I don't think he's going to find anything worse than a problem with my sinuses. Still, I do hope he finds *something* treatable so that he can make this crap go away. These symptoms have been laying me out and making me totally useless when they hit all at once, including a rather nasty attack that slammed me down hard last night. As long as he finds something that he can give me a pill or a nasal spray for, I'll be a happy camper.

I had low kidney function about 9 months ago.  I was told to stay off of NSAID, which I did.  The next blood test showed I had improved and then I was told to avoid energy drinks and could only have 2 cups of tea a day.  This was a major issue for me.  On my third test I as above the danger level, but they want me to stay off NSAID and to limit caffeine until I get my 4th test in February.  Hopefully it will still be above 60 so I can go back to 4-8 mugs of tea a day, like I was doing.

Oh good lord - full blown migraine going on, with all the trimmings. Nausea, sensitivity to light/sound, massive headache - everything except an aura. I've taken both a rizatriptan (Maxalt)  for the headache and a Zofran for the nausea, and I'm about to take my nighttime pills and try to go to bed and sleep it off. Wish me luck, yet again.

This is getting old, damn it.

EDIT: rizatriptan and Zofran is a lethal combination. I am sedated. Fell asleep sitting up before I could even take my night pills. Fortunately, I woke up about an hour later and have now taken my pills. Good Nytol.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

rizatriptan and Zofran is a lethal combination

I hope you mean that in figurative sense.  Don't want Prof to take lethal meds!