• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

I'll be leaving for the hospital in a couple of hours to begin the pre-op procedures for my major back surgery today. The procedure I'm undergoing, called an ACDF, is scheduled at 7:30 a.m. this morning and will take just over 2 hours. I'll remain in the hospital for a couple of days to recover, after which I'll go home in a neck brace which I'll wear for 6 weeks. I'll be on a heavy dose of my normal pain medicine, oxycodone, for 10 days after I go home. After this time, I might be able to get back on the computer. We'll see.

Wish me luck. I'll see you on the other side. Signing off until then.

I sit before my Music Computer, being unable to lift the table of my UberLaptop by myself. I have recovered sufficiently to return home to be in said position just about an hour or so ago. I've only had time to check my main Yahoo e-mail and to try and debug a clicking sound in my box (probably a loose cable hitting a fan - gonna need my son for that). This is the first place I've stopped after those.

My time in the hospital was interesting, to say the very least. I had to fight a very, *very* sore throat on the inside and outside, plus new pain on my right shoulder down my right arm. had pain management trouble again (as predicted in the bible), Have finally got the pain under control with a prescription of 20mg oxycodone every 4 hours for 10 days.

And the power went out. More after it comes back.

Our power has returned, right as I was threatening to report it as being out. That'll teach it.

Anyway, back to time spent in the hospital. The food was horrendous, at least the stuff cooked on site was. The pre-packaged stuff was okay. It was hard to eat, though, and the liquids were hard to drink, thanks to constant conflicts with phlegm in the throat and painful coughing. No fun. I had one such painful cough between phlegm and just air wake me up out of a dead sleep - thought I was gonna choke. Scared the hell out of me. Took me a while to get back to sleep after that.

Another brief power off/on. More than just a blip. Everything went dark for a second, then reset, except for what I've got UPS protected. Whew!

I'm gonna wrap this up by saying it's good to be back. Thanks for the kind words while I was gone.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Our power has returned, right as I was threatening to report it as being out. That'll teach it.

If it's blinking on and off you should report it.  I know this was several hours ago, but next time it happens report on the 2nd blink.

One thing I can't stand about back surgery is that I can't get out a really good cough. All I can get out are throat coughs. I feel like the ogre from Time Bandits. I mean, I just can't muster enough strength against this neck brace to hork up a good one. Make Mongo Sad.

Woke up to a scare this morning. My right arm and hand had regressed to the point that they were at when I came out of the operating room - fingers numb, arm weak. It's a pain trying to type this. I called my doctor, as per post-op instructions, and was told this could happen. He said some "backsliding" was to be expected, but if things didn't improve by Monday that I should go to the ER. If things get worse, I should go to the ER immediately. Not a fun way to wake up.

Damn. Hope it gets better and you don't have to go the ER as they aren't likely to think it's life threatening so you will end up waiting to see a doctor.  This suck.

Well, it's Monday, and my "backsliding" has progressed into a full-blown "downhill race." Whereas only my right hand was numb, now my right arm is numb on the front side all the way up to the bicep. I've got to go to the ER as soon as Mrs. Prof can get me there.

I returned after about 7 hours, They ran tests, including an MRI. They told me it was all due to a "paresthesia." (Note: I'm not to sure how accurately that info in the link applies to what I was experiencing.)

Here's a link to the MRI doctor's conclusions of my scan. Maybe you can make better sense of them than I can. https://share.counter.social/s/01bd18

15 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

They told me it was all due to a "paresthesia." (Note: I'm not to sure how accurately that info in the link applies to what I was experiencing.)

They told you that all you had was a bad case of having your arm fall asleep?  That sounds like a cop out.  When are you supposed to see your normal doctor about this?

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

They told you that all you had was a bad case of having your arm fall asleep?  That sounds like a cop out.

I agree it's bad, although what it has to do with a policeman playing baseball I'll never understand. :P

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

When are you supposed to see your normal doctor about this?

Well, I'm seeing my primary care physician today for a different matter (upper respiratory infection), but I'm seeing my spine surgeon on Friday. I give the latter a better chance of dealing with this.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just under $300 for bifocals

That is after insurance & several "discounts"

And they won't be ready for 2 weeks

I hope the masking tape on my broken frames holds up till then

Duct tape works better than masking tape.