• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

AFAIK, Gaffer’s Tape is for “tape that you plan to remove later”, while Duct Tape is for meant-to-stay-as-long-as-possible” stuff. I have used duct tape as a major load-bearing component.

Had a Venous Ultrasound scan today of my left leg, brought on by an elevated "D-dimer" blood test result of 1.95 (normal is 0.5) and a very swollen left leg. The test came back negative for a blood clot or DVT, thank goodness. Still no idea what's causing my swelling in my left leg, though.

Just got back from the podiatrist. Bad news for the big toe on my left foot. Remember the hammertoe fix that was done last year that went bad and stuck me in the hospital for almost 6 weeks? Well, the screw that was implanted to hold the bones together is trying to work its way back out through the tip of my toe. It's going to have to be removed. This thing is almost 2 inches long and 4mm wide. I'm going to go in for outpatient surgery to have it removed.

I'm obviously not going to have it removed while I'm still wearing a neck brace, so we're going to get this thing off of me first. After that, then we schedule the surgery.

Crap. Just what I needed.

Just got back from the kidney doctor.  Good news, I can go back to as much tea as I want.  Bad news, I can't take my migraine OTC drug of choice any more, I can only take acetaminophen.  If I start to get migraines a lot more (and they have been getting less frequent of late) I'll see the clinic about getting something else to take that isn't an NSAID.  NSAID are off the table for good.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

That sucks. I'm only temporarily off of them, and I'm feeling it, even with my oxycodone. Can't imagine a permaban.

I've been off of them, other than aspirin, for about 9 months.  Not Liking It. 

I just got a blood pressure monitor as part of my kidney health thing.  Granted it says to take your pressure reading "in the morning", but I registered in the "best" category.  Hoping that it stays that way, because my use of caffeine (and hence tea) depends on that.

I just banged my right knee into the desk.  Going to take some acetaminophen and lay down to take some pressure off of it

I have now had three days' worth of migraines out of the past four The Nurtec ODT is not really getting the job done, methinks. I'm going to request a different medicine from my doctor.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I have now had three days' worth of migraines out of the past four The Nurtec ODT is not really getting the job done, methinks. I'm going to request a different medicine from my doctor.

Migraines suck.

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Make it four days out of five. I've used the doctor's message portal and have officially requested a different medicine.

Hope that you get some!

On a more personal note:
I bent over from my chair to pick up a d20 I dropped yesterday at my D&D game, about 14 hours ago. I strained my back. I still have back pain. And I can't take ibuprofen. This really less than optimal. Sub-optimal and I'm not even slightly gruntled by this.

It's been 26 hours, more or less, since I strained my back picking up a dropped d20.  Back still hurts.  Can't take any thing stronger that acetaminophen.   This sucks.  Going to lay down now, even if it's several hours early.  Fully less than gruntled by this.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My doctor wrote back - he left some samples of a different migraine medicine for me at his front desk. My wife went to pick them up.

Must be nice.  In Kansas and Oklahoma most pain meds would require photo ID to pick up and could not be given out as samples.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

Must be nice.  In Kansas and Oklahoma most pain meds would require photo ID to pick up and could not be given out as samples.

This isn't general pain medicine, per se. It's migraine-specific medicine.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This isn't general pain medicine, per se. It's migraine-specific medicine.

Ah.  That would make some what of a difference.  

My back still hurts. Acetaminophen is doing squat. Thinking strongly about spending the afternoon in bed. Hope this is better tomorrow when I go in for my ultrasound of my kidney. Less than gruntled. The 65% chance of thunderstorms around 8 this evening isn't helping as rain fronts suck.

Unleashed am I. :lol:

I am officially being "weaned" from the neck brace, effective immediately. I no longer have to wear it around the house, including while sleeping. I only need to wear it when leaving the house. It's going to take some getting used to.

I have the start of the 1st migraine since I went off of my acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine OTC migraine drugs.  Just took 2 extra-strength  acetaminophen which I hope will work.  Less than gruntled by this.

33 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I have the start of the 1st migraine since I went off of my acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine OTC migraine drugs.  Just took 2 extra-strength  acetaminophen which I hope will work.  Less than gruntled by this.

It's not working, at least not as well as the stuff I was taking does.  Can't take any more until 4:30 this afternoon.  This maybe a long day.

I sit here at 4:59 a.m. CDT, barely able to lift my right arm due to pain in the upper portion of it. I can't sleep because of the pain. I've taken more than the prescribed amount of my pain medication (not too much more, worry not) in an attempt to dull the pain. I'm waiting for it to kick in. This has been (aside from the extra pain medication bit) a recurring theme in my life for the past three days. I can't sleep in my own bed - when I'm able to sleep, I can only sleep sitting up on my sofa, propped up by a stack of pillows, since lying down triggers intense pain.

I've got a scheduled phone call with my pain doctor's assistant this morning at 9am, during which time I will plead my case for an increased dosage of pain medication. Wish me luck - I'm going to need it.