• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

I'm back! Operation seems to have gone well, although only time will tell. My leg feels better already. Spent a long time sleeping after I got home. Managed to edit some music after I woke up. Mrs. Prof made potato-mushroom soup and cornbread to help my recovery. Now I've got a long dry bandage down my back that's helping the injection sites heal. It comes off at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. I predict a painful ripping of back hair.

Helpful hint: If there's a next time, get Mrs. Prof to shave anywhere likely to have bandages first.  No hair sticking out beyond the skin surface, no ripping.

I'm so glad this procedure seems to have helped!  Also glad you're recovering so well that you were able to work so soon.  Here's hoping this leads to a permanent solution for your pain problems!

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Helpful hint: If there's a next time, get Mrs. Prof to shave anywhere likely to have bandages first.  No hair sticking out beyond the skin surface, no ripping.

I'm so glad this procedure seems to have helped!  Also glad you're recovering so well that you were able to work so soon.  Here's hoping this leads to a permanent solution for your pain problems!

Thank you! However, this hospital has something against shaving: something about leaving the follicles open to infection or some wild crap like that. Besides, not shaving results in smoother growback on me. No itchy stubble.

BTW, that thing we talked about in PM - you still interested?

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Thank you! However, this hospital has something against shaving: something about leaving the follicles open to infection or some wild crap like that. Besides, not shaving results in smoother growback on me. No itchy stubble.

Hmm, yeah, I can see how that might be a problem.  We don't exactly have much choice with most of our patients.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

BTW, that thing we talked about in PM - you still interested?

D'oh!  Sorry, see PM, I've got DropBox set up now.

"What's this?"

"You sent me for coffee."

"Three weeks ago.  In Glasgow."

"I got distracted."

"By what?"

"You can always find something!"

Bandage removal was painless, despite the amount of hair in the region. I had bled some.

The nerve pain has been mostly absent since Thursday. I've had some leg pain when I've slept on it wrong, but that's not the shots' fault.

I still need pain medication for my osteoarthritis and my formerly-broken ankles. We'll see how much once we can determine the length of the relief I get from the shots.

I also have yet to test the relief of the left side pain. Not looking forward to that test, to be honest.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Here's hoping this leads to a much lesser need for the pain meds, enough that you'll be able to drive yourself and sleep on a normal schedule!

Here here! I'm still dealing with arthritic knees and formerly broken ankles. Pain meds still required to a degree. I also haven't been able to test the left side of my back yet. I've got the next load of dishes reserved to unload. (I tried unloading a small load and wound up with pain in my sinuses.)

Been dealing with a sore throat all day. Pain on the inside along the right near my larynx. No fever, but uncomfortable. I've had a flu shot, but it was only trivalent and I know that the vaccine hasn't been worth crap this year. I doubt it's flu anyway - I've had no contact with anyone since my surgery except my wife.

EDIT: Now she's reporting a sore throat.

Most people don't get very sick with this flu, just congestion and sore throat and coughing and maybe headaches (I can't tell for sure because all the cough drops I can find have menthol in them, and menthol gives me a headache).

But it drags on and on and on and... we're probably going to miss our THIRD weekly Spanish class tomorrow over it.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Most people don't get very sick with this flu, just congestion and sore throat and coughing and maybe headaches (I can't tell for sure because all the cough drops I can find have menthol in them, and menthol gives me a headache).

But it drags on and on and on and... we're probably going to miss our THIRD weekly Spanish class tomorrow over it.

I've got a cousin who caught influenza type B. She reports her whole house wants to kill her now. Type B must be a particularly nasty strain. Hope it's not what my wife has brought home (if that is what she brought home). Meanwhile, I had to reduce the number of pills I take at a time to get them past my swollen throat.

Pro tip: smoky Lapsang Souchong will open up your throat. It did for me tonight. I can only handle one glass of it at a time, though. I'm betting the wild lapsang souchong would work better.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

I found a sticky, red blood blister on the second toe of my left foot last night. Pulled it off—it didn't hurt—and took a shower. Showed the toe to Mrs. Prof. She said I needed to get to the doctor ASAP. Got there today and got agreement from the doctor. He said I caught it just in time. Any later and I might be amputating the thing. His nurse gave me a shot of something, after which I had to wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction.  He also put me on Bactrim and told me to call in two days. If it isn't any better, I may wind up in a wound care clinic or in an emergency room. All fingers and other toes crossed.

30 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I found a sticky, red blood blister on the second toe of my left foot last night. Pulled it off—it didn't hurt—and took a shower. Showed the toe to Mrs. Prof. She said I needed to get to the doctor ASAP. Got there today and got agreement from the doctor. He said I caught it just in time. Any later and I might be amputating the thing. His nurse gave me a shot of something, after which I had to wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction.  He also put me on Bactrim and told me to call in two days. If it isn't any better, I may wind up in a wound care clinic or in an emergency room. All fingers and other toes crossed.

Yikes. Sounds really unpleasant. Keep us posted.

9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Unless it's a whole bunch of things....

9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Thank you Mrs. Prof!  Is there neuropathy involved in it not hurting?  There wouldn't have to be, I know when the tip of my sister's pinky toe went necrotic and fell off, she said it didn't hurt.  (She also said if you have to lose a body part, that's the one to pick!)  Was there a deep lesion beneath the blood blister?  Um, hmm, I'm getting into gross territory, aren't I?  Spoiler tags might be in order, so as not to spoil appetites or moods.  ;-)

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Thank you Mrs. Prof!  Is there neuropathy involved in it not hurting?  There wouldn't have to be, I know when the tip of my sister's pinky toe went necrotic and fell off, she said it didn't hurt.  (She also said if you have to lose a body part, that's the one to pick!)  Was there a deep lesion beneath the blood blister?  Um, hmm, I'm getting into gross territory, aren't I?  Spoiler tags might be in order, so as not to spoil appetites or moods.  ;-)

There was a hole about a millimeter across. It's possible that the sticky blood had oozed out of it. As for not feeling pain, remember that I'm on oxycodone. It tends to render most pain useless. However, it is starting to hurt today. The red is at the junction where the toe meets the foot. I've gotta hope it reverses course before tomorrow.

I have to go to a wound care doctor for my toe. The appointment is gawdawful-early Monday. However, if the thing gets any worse before then, I'm to go to the emergency room.

Insert obligatory bitching here.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

*makes snide comment insinuating things about previous poster's manliness*

*responds with comment comparing manliness, overshadowing previous poster's size and volume*

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Keep us posted on any new side effects. Hope it will work out all right.

With any luck at all I will be able to watch TV without various commercials reducing me to tears.  And like I told her, not just the sad dog ones, but things like Olympics backstory shorts were making me weep.  Some fast food ads even. 

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

With any luck at all I will be able to watch TV without various commercials reducing me to tears.  And like I told her, not just the sad dog ones, but things like Olympics backstory shorts were making me weep.  Some fast food ads even. 

Hopefully. I wish you the best of luck.