• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

All Things Ashley

Well, if that's it, she isn't Korean. Korean fox spirits (kumiho) are systematically evil, their favorite dinner being human livers. (No mention of fava beans or chianti.)

It looks like Ashley's going to be pretty famous at Moperville North, especially after she does her part in Edward's cunning plan. Besides the inevitable appearances of monsters and vampires, maybe we can look forward to:

• Principal Verrucht asking her to recruit Cheerleadra as a hall monitor
  • That guy from the gentlemen's magazine getting punched out by Elliot or Liz, or maybe hammered by Susan.
  • An offer from Manchester United

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

An offer from Manchester United

Maybe the Chicago Fire pro soccer team would be closer to home, they look like they could use some help in goal. ;)

The US Women's National Team has an open Goalie position.

That's it!  The expanded primary cast forms a Soccer team (Or maybe a Sock-Him team) and they travel around the country solving mysteries as wacky hijinks ensue..Their team faces off against local teams and auditions individual players in tournaments and exhibitions.  Ostensibly, this is done on behalf of the national team to analyze the potential talent of players that might otherwise slip through the cracks in the NCAA, AAU, and other organizations.

A mixed gender team is OK if they are not in "official" competition against teams in normal competition.  And the "purpose" of the EGS exhibition team would be to analyze teams and players outside the normal channels.

Players on regular high school and college teams are already in the system.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Imagine how complicated sports leagues must be in the Ellen's Second Life world (not to be confused with Second Life®which is a registered trademark.)

Would they even have them?  The point of divergence after all is well before sports leagues are a thing.  We have enough trouble now with ambiguities about who can compete in gender or age brackets defined leagues, or what to do about artificial hormones vs. people who naturally have abnormal levels.  I've been half expecting some professional sport to implode under the stress of body modification technologies for a while now, add that sort of issue from the beginning and the para-religious "fair play" thing falls apart, and that's something that played a big role in early development of modern sport.

Going back through Identity again, I took another look at The Shive's commentary when He finally revealed Ashley's name. I was struck that He did not seem to know of the enormous magical and mystical significance of ash trees. Clearly He has not read nearly enough Aa! Megami-sama!. Or in the US version, Oh My Goddess!

In Norse mythology the gigantic ash tree Yggdrasil connects the Nine Worlds. The three Norns make their home at its roots, as depicted in this stamp from the Faroe Islands. The one with the spear is Skuld; among other offices, she leads the Ride of the Valkyries, a detail I once used in a fanfic.

220px-Faroe_stamp_431_The_Norns_and_the_Tree.jpg

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Clearly He has not read nearly enough Aa! Megami-sama!. Or in the US version, Oh My Goddess!

Who has? Considering the manga ran for just under 26 years, most people were not going to just pick it up.  

Though there are better references for Norse mythology. 

4 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

How very true, but not in manga or comics. Well, more accurate. But more fun? Anyway, Fujishima did go to the trouble of doing some actual research, and at the end of the series threw us a spectacular curve: Most of us were expecting the Almighty to be Odin (although I was holding out for Thor) but the authorized daddy of Urd, Belldandy, and Skuld turned out to be Tyr, the Norse god of law. Turns out the Vikings were also very big on Law--and lawsuits. And it's thanks to their semi-conquest of England that we have trial by jury now.

As for the main American contender, I don't really care for the current Marvel versions of Thor & Co., although I was around for the Silver Age and back then Thor was awesome!

5 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Who has? Considering the manga ran for just under 26 years, most people were not going to just pick it up.  

Now I am picturing Ashley holding the Marvel Comics Thor's hammer and wondering what all the fuss is about...

Ashley reference...

45 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Most of us were expecting the Almighty to be Odin (although I was holding out for Thor) but the authorized daddy of Urd, Belldandy, and Skuld turned out to be Tyr, the Norse god of law. 

But he was still a bit of a jerk in changing the rules on Keichi at the last minute, and demanding Keichi perform a miracle, and all. 

You're making me want to give Stand Still, Stay Silent another try.  I got bogged down in some of the slower world-building bits, and decided to start it over again when there was a bit more there.  As I recall, it was more folklore than mythology being played with there.

6 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

How very true, but not in manga or comics. Well, more accurate. But more fun?

Well, there was, but it sorta just died after an almost-13-year run.

Haven't read that much Brat-Halla yet, but going to GodsCo stuck in my mind.

Thor's hammer, at least in toy plastic form, has already made a canon appearance in EGS, when Catalina hammered Rich and Larry in Salty Crackers at the beginning of Hammerchlorians.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Addition

Sister III, Part Deux: The Search for Ashley

[text roll continues after the title]

Ashley, depressed that in spite of her awe-inspiring cuteness, spunk, and essential goodness she doesn't even have one lousy spell or even a surname, knowing that she is Elliot's transitional girlfriend (Maybe even before Liz told her), decides to write herself out of the series by throwing herself into the jaws of a giant fire goo griffin in Sister III (Part Un to be added on the higher-priced Special Edition Bluray available only at Mr. Tensaided's.)

Racing to save himself from mobs of angry Ashley fans with torches, pitchforks, brickbats, bricks, and bats, unable to explain that it was not his fault, he boards his Amazing Universal Plot Device in the nick of time, setting course for Heaven.

When the AUPD arrives at the outskirts of Heaven, Dan realizes there is no way he'll get past the gate. Fortunately he runs into Stonewall Jackson who helps Dan flank the guard as Jackson is well known to have done because that's what Stonewall Jackson does. Ask any son or daughter of the South. However, Dan has to do it with one arm held in the air to keep the blood balanced like Stonewall.

Dan searches for “Spock” to learn the secret behind his return after dying in Star Trek II. He finally finds Dr. Spock, who with considerable irritation tells the latest idiot to bother him that he was a baby doctor and anti-war activist and not the Star Trek Spock. But Dr. Benjamin Spock does tell Dan that he won't have to go back to Earth because the actor who played Star Trek Spock is also in Heaven now.

Dan locates Leonard Nimoy who tells him he asked to have Spock killed off in Star Trek II and reminds him that his first autobiography was titled I Am Not Spock. Dan reminds him that Nimoy's second autobiography was titled I Am Spock. Nimoy tries the Vulcan nerve pinch, fails, and then explains for the nth time that he is not a super-intelligent half-alien telepath but an actor who'd grown tired of a role. Nimoy went on to say that while he knows many nude models who are still working on Earth if Dan wants to improve his naked lady drawing, but that Dan would either have to work out his own way to bring Ashley back or look into reserving a nicer mansion, since there's a waiting list. Also, a package deal, Heavenly mansion plus Asbestos long underwear to cover both bases.

After a short break to catch Josephine Baker dancing in her banana skirt to Louis Armstrong's trumpet, Dan sets out on the next leg of his voyage of discovery and/or flight from the wrath of his fans and now his God (Who can quite upset with casual visitors)...