• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

NP: Wednesday, July 27, 2016

168 hours, 32 minutes and 23 seconds.

That's a damn good astrogator.  That's almost the perfect time for a trip in jump space.

It is possible I've spent to much time working on project X today.   168 +/- 10% is the normal figure for a jump.

10 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

I guess when you're a few hundred years old, you get to sleep for a week at a time.

Or half an hour longer. I'm most impressed by how closely she predicted the sleeping habits of a mad immortal.

*canned laughter* Life is no fun without a good scare. Hers is a slight miscalculation.

Sleep is for the weak. And people who ate too much food and passed out thereafter.

42 minutes ago, Stature said:

*canned laughter* Life is no fun without a good scare. Hers is a slight miscalculation.

Sleep is for the weak. And people who ate too much food and passed out thereafter.

Sleep is not for the weak.  You grow weak if you don't sleep right.:P

Says the man that has no less than 4 types of sleep aids in house.  Not including other drugs that make you drowsy but that's not their primary function.  Of course I've got 5 types of "this may make you manic" drugs hanging around.

For the record, I only take one type of sleep aid and one type "might make you manic" on a daily basis.  In theory I'm supposed to to take Adderall a lot more often than I do.  That may change in a bit any way.

1 hour ago, Stature said:

Sleep is for the weak

Weren't you paying attention?  168 hours means sleep is for the WEEK.

So she can sleep for several days at a time.  How much does she need to sleep overall?

Humans spend about one third of their day sleeping.  Does Pandora spend a week sleeping and is then up for a fortnight?
Can she vary the frequency, one month asleep and two months awake or one day asleep and two days awake?
Or is the Immortal internal clock cycle around the week like human metabolism cycles around the day?

Or does she get so bored with the world that she occasionally knocks herself out for extended periods just to see if anything surprising has happened while she was sleeping?

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

168 hours, 32 minutes and 23 seconds.

That's a damn good astrogator.  That's almost the perfect time for a trip in jump space.

It is possible I've spent to much time working on project X today.   168 +/- 10% is the normal figure for a jump.

9 hours ago, Stature said:

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Weren't you paying attention?  168 hours means sleep is for the WEEK.

So she can sleep for several days at a time.  How much does she need to sleep overall?

Humans spend about one third of their day sleeping.  Does Pandora spend a week sleeping and is then up for a fortnight?
Can she vary the frequency, one month asleep and two months awake or one day asleep and two days awake?
Or is the Immortal internal clock cycle around the week like human metabolism cycles around the day?

Or does she get so bored with the world that she occasionally knocks herself out for extended periods just to see if anything surprising has happened while she was sleeping?

Yes, I notice.  A jump is a week.

Okay, no Traveller references in this one.

I'm getting a new insight on Pandora from this one: Pandora really would like to reset--but she doesn't because she doesn't want to her love to die. Gives a new meaning to "deadly dull", doesn't it? Maybe it's a stretch from this, but I think Pandora knows she's getting crazier and crazier. Note that she seems to get more focused and sane when something really holds her attention.

Another reason I think Pandora resetting is going to be a future plot point, maybe even by the end of this arc.

Actually if I could really use the edit function I would be combining this post with the last two, but when I use it, it whites out the previous text unless I select it. Is it the same for all of you? Some of you? None of you?

Halloween shopping? The only things you shop for for Halloween are costumes, decorations, and candy. Pandora can make way better costumes than anything store-bought, doesn't have a house to decorate, and we've never seen here eating or drinking. And if she really does have a sweet tooth, she'd want to sleep until the day after Halloween, when all the Halloween candy is on sale.

Maybe it's just a way for The Shive to tell us it's near the end of October--which would be about the time Lady Andrea showed up. And maybe the vampires started showing up. Which makes me wonder why Pandora wouldn't notice. Which makes me think Pandora couldn't avoid noticing. Which makes me think Pandora might just have something to do with why Helena and Demetrius got diverted from guarding Elliot in to dealing with the vampiric infestation.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually if I could really use the edit function I would be combining this post with the last two, but when I use it, it whites out the previous text unless I select it. Is it the same for all of you? Some of you? None of you?

Everybody. The newest (and best-to-date imho) workaround is to change your text color from "default" (which happens to be black, except when editing a message) to "black".

35 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Everybody. The newest (and best-to-date imho) workaround is to change your text color from "default" (which happens to be black, except when editing a message) to "black".

Where do we do this at?  I looked at the dropdown under my name and fond "Settings" to be grayed out...

When you're typing text, there are two rows of stuff just above where you type.  The one on the far right of the top row is an A with a line under it.  Click/tap that, and you get an array of colors to select from.  Choose the black square in the upper left.

You can either do this before you type anything, or if you realize you forgot to, you can select everything you've typed and then click/tap it.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Another Traveller player, I see. I wonder if Pandora knows Grandfather...

Noted for project X

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

When you're typing text, there are two rows of stuff just above where you type.  The one on the far right of the top row is an A with a line under it.  Click/tap that, and you get an array of colors to select from.  Choose the black square in the upper left.

You can either do this before you type anything, or if you realize you forgot to, you can select everything you've typed and then click/tap it.

Ah.  So it's something I do every time I need to edit a post.  It's not a permanent setting somewhere.  Got it.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora can make way better costumes than anything store-bought, doesn't have a house to decorate, and we've never seen here eating or drinking.

So what? It's not that SHE will be buying something. She will be looking at others buying stuff. Probably trying to predict what will they buy and hope they will surprise her or something like that.

Or it's because it will be good opportunity to mark someone.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which makes me think Pandora couldn't avoid noticing.

Agree.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

All good questions, but I suspect it's the "knocks herself out" one. Like ... when she predicts nothing interesting will happen, she goes to sleep ...

18 hours ago, partner555 said:

Her ability to predict how long she'll sleep and be off by less than a minute worries me greatly, especially when applied to more malevolent uses.

Also note how she measured how long she was sleeping. Internal chronometer?

20 hours ago, Stature said:

Sleep is for the weak.

Pandora sleeps. If sleep will be only for the weak, WHO will be strong?

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Ah.  So it's something I do every time I need to edit a post.  It's not a permanent setting somewhere.  Got it.

Unfortunately, that color-change option doesn't appear to be there in the edit window, which means having to remember to change the color of your text every time you post, just in case you need to edit it later.

Gotta admit, this is a sequence that could use animating. An amorphous cloud sculpting itself into a woman, clothes forming out of the mass, fishnets forming like spiderwebs without spiders, all the while she's bored and monologuing to herself.

This made me laugh. My sleeping patterns have been completely messed up for weeks - I actually slept through the entire Thursday plus a couple of hours more - but suddenly I feel better knowing that at least I'll never sleep for an entire week. I know it's stupid of me to stay up too long because I know that I'll just end up sleeping the same number of hours I've spent awake no matter what, but I can't help it. There are just too many good cartoons to watch, books to read and forums to write on and absolutely nothing better to do with all my time. :(

9 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Gotta admit, this is a sequence that could use animating. An amorphous cloud sculpting itself into a woman, clothes forming out of the mass, fishnets forming like spiderwebs without spiders, all the while she's bored and monologuing to herself.

That would be cool, depending on the quality of the animation.

6 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

This made me laugh. My sleeping patterns have been completely messed up for weeks - I actually slept through the entire Thursday plus a couple of hours more - but suddenly I feel better knowing that at least I'll never sleep for an entire week. I know it's stupid of me to stay up too long because I know that I'll just end up sleeping the same number of hours I've spent awake no matter what, but I can't help it. There are just too many good cartoons to watch, books to read and forums to write on and absolutely nothing better to do with all my time. :(

I think that the longest I've managed to sleep was about forty hours, though it was interrupted a couple of times by having to go to the bathroom. I was awake just barely enough to be aware that I had slept from Monday till Wednesday rather than Monday till Tuesday.