• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I remember this from a forum I used to frequent years ago...

Basically, how it works is the first player posts the name of their new band and what style of music they play (EG: My new band's name is The Alien Elf Brigade. We're an electro-pop group with some mariachi influence.)

The second player then names their first album and gives a short review or discussion of how well it did (EG: 'Dia de los Green Dudes' sold like a brick - pity, the songs were super danceable. At least the club deejays are starting to work it into rotation.and then gives the name of their new band for the next poster. 

Alright, that seems straightforward enough - let's get the ball rolling. 

My new band is Nine Robots a Beeping. We do techno covers of Motown songs. 

Nine Robots a Beeping's first album, Dance Statue Dance, went over like a lead balloon... Surprisingly well as lead balloons actually can fly.

My new band is Disciples of Caliban, we do love ballads set to grindcore tunes.

The Disciples of Caliban, now there's one to remember. One-hit wonder years ago, hitting platinum within weeks of releasing their first album. Pitty it's never been re-released due to a complicated copyright snarl with WMG.

Polarity Switch, a trio who seem to be all over the spectrum of electronic music. 

Ah, yes, Undisciplined didn't sell very well and would have been forgotten completely, until Doctor Who and NCIS both used "Calibrated" as incidental music within a couple of weeks of each other.  Suddenly sales went through the roof!

Kindergarten Immortals, who play a mix of old-time folk and death metal on toy instruments and found objects.

Although not that big on the tour scene, or in stores of any description, and virtually unheard of on most digital music platforms, the Kindergarten Immortals have developed a bizarre degree of popularity on youtube. on par with the likes of Rick Astley, and probably for the same reasons...

Catastrophy Suspension, A Punk Rock band with a reputation for stealth puns in their lyrics.

Certain Airborne Touchdown landed on its feet and took off running. They've got that post-nirvana feel that has worked for so many over the years, but they come off as derivative. Expect to hear Catastrophy Suspension on the radio - once. 

The newest group on the big band swing scene - Casso Wells and his Orchestra. 

Mr Casso Wells is in fact a stage persona for Oscar Walls, PhD.  Professor of Music Theory and Performing Arts at Moperville Community College.  Other critics have commented on the "Unique and Original Sounds" of this premier recording.  It is drawn almost entirely from the folk songs of a community of Peruvian tribesmen who weave baskets underwater.  Professor Walls arranged the soundtrack for the award winning short documentary "Peruvian Tribesmen Who Weave Baskets Underwater".  Anyone who has seen that film (there are at least five of us) will recognize the similarity almost immediately.  I don't know why the Professor neglected to cite his sources.

BLAQZHAQ! - An Atlantic City based Pop-Rock Boy Band with a frequently changing lineup because each member famously "Goes Bust" as soon as they are over 21.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

BLAQZHAQ actually lasted surprisingly long for a Pop-Rock Boy Band. sadly, the fourth of the original six members to leave, Zachary White, was not only the one who had brought the group together but also the one who had been coming up with the back tracks their songs used, and the sudden change in sound after he left combined with the infighting between multiple headstrong boys deciding they were in charge now, began the group's slow self destructive decline into obscurity. 

Wildgriff, an ostensibly daftpunk inspired trio who appear at all of their performances in oddly realistic looking griffin costumes (that some have recently been doubting are costumes)

Wildgriff had a few great albums and some good airplay, but stopped playing after an incident at a festival where some "bad pharma" was blamed for a mass riot caused by the delusional crowd "seeing" the griffins engage in an air battle with "a dragon and some flying monkeys".  At least that was what the nice medical team in their crisp black suits told everyone.

Irie P! is a Punk band from Jamaica, or a reggae band that does punk covers - members of band disagree on which is correct. 

While their first album, Herbicide, left more listeners confused than entertained they had a small but dedicated following until a car crash cost their drummer the use of her right arm.

Laundry Day on the Moon is a meta-band who parody the works of other parody artists. All their concerts are preformed in the nude.

Their first album Callipygian did very well at local SF cons, especially after they did live performances at a few Barfleet room parties.  Over three hundred copies sold, and they're hoping the follow-up The Scotsman's Kilt What Kilt? will do even better as they're scheduled to play at FUMPfest and Penguicon (although the latter is insisting on concessions regarding wardrobe so negotiations are ongoing).

Square Root of Pie is an experimental synthesizer group composed of two mathematicians, a former British TV show background music composer, a baker, and some guy who plays electric guitar over a "Mr. Microphone" toy so that every radio within two blocks acts as his speakers.

Their first album, S//plice//lice//cience, sold well in Japan, but only released to moderate acclaim in the US and EU, despite difficulties with getting the guitar guy to record a studio album or play live concerts. Their second album, sans guitar absolutely tanked, and now they  primarily play birthday parties and weddings with a new guitarist.

Leather, Lace, and Lipstick is a metal group of men in drag, fronted by a leather-clad toaster. Don't ask how the toaster hits the high notes, but they do. 

the group was doing quite well up until it was discovered that said toaster was actually a computer in a heavily modded casing using a pirated vocalizer program. The resulting lawsuits over commercial use of illegally obtained software bankrupted the group.

Morning Star, a mixed-content group who get 90% of their income from cartoon intro theme, end theme, and background music commissions.

Their first album, a compilation of all their work entitled "Unplaceables" (as in "I can't quite place where I know that song from") sold quite well, despite never finding much recognition on the sales floor. They made an attempt at a live concert, but no tickets were sold, so they went back to their much more lucrative gigs.

Dduubbll Mmeettaall is a heavy metal band with everything in pairs, and each member is a twin. They play their live shows on a split, mirrored stage.

Their first double album went double platinum, but their double bass players were injured in a double-decker bus crash; their manager was double-dipping with a double-entry bookkeeping system, and their double-dealing lawyer double-crossed them so that double jeopardy got him off scott free; and they eventually retired to Double Bay to open a new Double Mountain Brewery location.

North of Shangri-La is a filk band, specializing in fitting in as many references to as many TV shows and movies as possible into every song, the more obscure, the better.

No one knows the title of their first album, but the group's Mid 90's album 'Men of steel and circuit' is by far their most popular, particularly the title track and the tracks 'Deadly Dustbins of War' and "Blue Engine of Time". In fact it's their only widely popular album. Probably because it's the only one that references something more than 12 people on the entire planet have ever heard of. When Doctor Who got started up again a decade ago, they pulled the album from the shelves/servers as it's inspiration was no longer obscure, and haven't been heard from since.

At Heaven's Steps - A blatant and unapologetic ripoff of Two Steps from Hell, that somehow manages to be just barely different enough to avoid legal action.

Their first album, Time and Tile Wait for No Man, served as the soundtrack for the world's longest and bloodiest "Aussie rules" Mahjong tournament. It reached a mind-boggling #5 on the charts. Since then, the group has specialized in critically-acclaimed, if commercially less successful, soundtracks for arthouse films, such as E. Elias Merhige's Begotten 2: Beget Harder.

Nudnik of the North is a world music band that combines klezmer with Inuit throat-singing.