• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday August 1, 2016

I just had a thought...if DW is going to try to get Pandora to relay the message to Grace, then that possibly means that Pandora isn't the only threat that could bring about a magic system change. It would be a silly idea to ask Pandora to relay a message to stop her own plan, unless DW is banking on her boredom from her extreme age or her sympathy after hearing the details of the message.

She is planning on Tedd and Grace giving her Great-Grand-God-Babies with Blue hair and bushy tails.  I know mortal relatives can exercise  a LOT of influence in these matters.  Do the Immortal-Rules make exceptions for relatives?

It looks like there will be no epic magic battle today.  I'm guessing Dan is waiting to write that scene AFTER he has secured the studio green light for EGS : The Movie.

4 hours ago, partner555 said:

didn't he mention he can't remember everything himself either?

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1831

Yes, that does present a con on drum.

As for using a phone?  Could Disco Wizard conjure up a cell phone while inside Grace's dream, dial out, and leave a message on Grace's voice mail?

If the Emissary does attempt contact via cell phone, will his first question be "Can you hear me now?"

Now, does he tell Pandora everything he was attempting to tell Grace?  If he does, will Mrs Raven Believe him?

And I think we have all been assuming that Pandora's apocalypse plan is part of the change in magic.  Is Pandora changing magic, or is magic using Pandora to make the changes it wants.

5 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I just had a thought...if DW is going to try to get Pandora to relay the message to Grace, then that possibly means that Pandora isn't the only threat that could bring about a magic system change. It would be a silly idea to ask Pandora to relay a message to stop her own plan, unless DW is banking on her boredom from her extreme age or her sympathy after hearing the details of the message.

I am hoping that DW gets a chance to tell Pandora the reasons he was contacting Grace, I want to see Pandora's reaction (probably not a good one).

As for another possible threat to causing a system change? The only other suspect I can think of would be Voltaire, which would probably mean that he's the one that caused the clog and Pandora's just taking advantage of it to mark people. Also he believes the world would be better if Elliot was dead, does it really have something to do with preventing Magus from getting back to the mortal realm? Or is there something else that Elliot is key to?

Aside from that, it's interesting that DW was able to sense no ill intent from Pandora, either she really does care about Grace, or she's really good at hiding her intent. She does have an agenda though which DW either hasn't sensed. Maybe her talking about family and stuff is covering up the agenda. And she keeps interrupting him, which is actually amusing because as DW states, Grace probably felt the same. I mean, yeah it makes sense when DW can only remember so much when he goes into her dreams and there isn't much time to answer all questions so he needed to be quick and to the point. now the tables are turned, Pandora's trying to be quick and to the point and DW has too many questions.

Wait a moment, Just re-read panels 5 and 6, did Pandora just inadvertently manipulate DW into believing she'd be a better way to pass along his message to Grace? Panel 5 has DW stating that Pandora's "presence has the potential to...." and then in 6 Pandora states "you've just realized you could ask me to tell her". She may not have intended this, but I doubt she's going to let that opportunity slip.

My guess is that the Emissary/Disco Wizard is Abraham, whose physical form right now is really, really stoned. And this wouldn't be the first bonehead mistake he's made, would it?

I'm also wondering if Voltaire is an ex of Pandora's. And I'm wondering why there isn't anyone behind Sirleck in the title page. Sirleck is a really powerful vampire/aberration, but also a very canny one. Voltaire was trying to manipulate him into attacking Adrian, which is definitely something that will get Pandora's fullest attention and something that Sirleck wouldn't dream of doing if he knew Adrian was Pandora's son. Why would Voltaire do this? Pick one or more:

• To get Sirleck killed.
  • To get Adrian killed.
  • To provoke Pandora into such an egregious violation that other Immortals combine to destroy her, or at least force her to reset.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for using a phone?  Could Disco Wizard conjure up a cell phone while inside Grace's dream, dial out, and leave a message on Grace's voice mail?

I doubt a dream version of him could do that. But, since he's already in her head, could he just add a note to her head, for her to notice when she wakes up?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

My guess is that the Emissary/Disco Wizard is Abraham, whose physical form right now is really, really stoned. And this wouldn't be the first bonehead mistake he's made, would it?

My original guess for the Emissary/Disco Wizard was Phill but he's a lot smarter than this.

Abraham makes a particularly good candidate for the Disco Wizard because it gives Pandora an opportunity to confront him again (although Abraham wasn't aware Pandora tried to get Magus to get Edward to kill him (Abraham.) Assuming Pandora doesn't kill him, it would give her an opportunity to reconsider her actions--including what she did to Magus. Which gives her a reason to check up on Magus, and maybe give him some help. Which could lead Pandora to becoming aware of Sirleck--assuming she doesn't already know about him. With Pandora looking more and more law-abiding (to Immortal law, at least), I don't see her knowing about Sirleck's involvement and, at minimum, warning Sirleck to limit his activities to possessing rich assholes and embezzling.

Besides, Sirleck is standing behind her in the title page, isn't he? Where she couldn't see him? Unless she's actually facing the other way, defending everyone else, like the giant in one of Goya's paintings. But even if she is, that's supposed to be hinting at future events.

BTW, I just found two more of Sirleck's eyes in the title page. And after only a month!

17 hours ago, Drasvin said:

It is also possible that Pandora IS the thread but DW doesn't KNOW it ... wait. Grace remembering the floating girl was probably from the dream. DW would realize that it's Pandora, right? ... ok maybe not.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm also wondering if Voltaire is an ex of Pandora's.

Unlikely. The way the story with Blaike was told, doesn't seem Pandora had anyone before or after Blaike.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which could lead Pandora to becoming aware of Sirleck--assuming she doesn't already know about him.

Considering Sirleck knows about Pandora, it's extremely unlikely she doesn't know about him. Although she might not be aware Magus contacted him AGAIN.

6 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Remind me to never play a tabletop RPG vs Pandora.

Better RPG than anything else. Poker? She would win over Riker, and he was good enough to win against empath, android who literally can't change his facial expression and guy who can see through the cards.

Chess? She would know how many moves she would need to checkmate you before you touch first figure ... while setting the board.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

hot chicks that can think out of the box

... she might have problem thinking inside the box.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

She is planning on Tedd and Grace giving her Great-Grand-God-Babies with Blue hair and bushy tails.  I know mortal relatives can exercise  a LOT of influence in these matters.  Do the Immortal-Rules make exceptions for relatives?

Only blood relatives.

Hmmm ... when Pandora speaks about being "practically married", how traditional she is? :)

20 hours ago, partner555 said:

But didn't he mention he can't remember everything himself either?

Sounds pretty absurd, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... when Pandora speaks about being "practically married", how traditional she is? :)

Well, if she was conforming to human norms when she was with Blaike, maybe one of those norms was marriage. Having lived as close to a human life as an Immortal could, I think Pandora might have a deeper understanding of humans than any other Immortal.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, if she was conforming to human norms when she was with Blaike, maybe one of those norms was marriage. Having lived as close to a human life as an Immortal could, I think Pandora might have a deeper understanding of humans than any other Immortal.

Pandora knows enough about the culture of the present, which is probably about everything considering she can reference Scrubs, House, and most video games. So "practically married" probably means the same to her as it did to Justin, which, basically means Tedd and Grace are soo head over heels for each other and live together, they might as well be married.

And considering Pandora's statement that "she's good for him", I'd say they at least have her blessing, even though they don't know they'd need her blessing.

I have a concern that when he explains why he is there, Pandora will get some kind of loophole to attack him because he is "directly interfering with her plans". 

On the "Practically Married" front, the idea that a marriage isn't "real" until government/religious authorities have certified it is a nineteenth century invention. Prior to that, many societies recognized "common law" marriages, where all that was required was for the couple to swear fealty to one another and to consummate the marriage, with no need for the permission of the Powers That Be.

54 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I've often wondered just how powerful a deity is, who can't sanctify a marriage without the permission of a preacher and/or a government official.

Pffft to either kind. If you need a fancy-schmancy formal acknowledgment of your marriage, just ask the captain of the USS George Washington. If you command a nuclear powered strike carrier, you can darn near unleash the wrath of the Gods anyway.

It's not about whether the supernatural powers acknowledge a marriage so much as whether the Earthly powers (e.g. government) do--certain rights (power of attorney, inheritance of titles and property, exemption from certain taxes) are only extended to recognized marital partners and children born within-wedlock. And that's not even mentioning how many societies used to (and some still do) criminalize the act of having sex with someone who is not one's government-recognized marital partner.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

It's not about whether the supernatural powers acknowledge a marriage so much as whether the Earthly powers (e.g. government) do--certain rights (power of attorney, inheritance of titles and property, exemption from certain taxes) are only extended to recognized marital partners and children born within-wedlock. And that's not even mentioning how many societies used to (and some still do) criminalize the act of having sex with someone who is not one's government-recognized marital partner.

Maybe, but do these government-approved officials have the ability to have fighter jets do aerobatics in celebration of your marriage? I don't think so!

10 hours ago, Changer said:

I have a concern that when he explains why he is there, Pandora will get some kind of loophole to attack him because he is "directly interfering with her plans".

I don't think Pandora really wants to attack him--though if there's a loophole, she'll see it and probably tell him about it, reinforcing the two warnings she's already given him.

Even if my theory about him being Abraham doesn't pan out, I'm wondering now if Pandora didn't set up the fight between her son and Abraham to teach both of them lessons--and maybe Magus as well. She didn't kill Abraham or Magus despite her white-hot anger.

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The way the story with Blaike was told, doesn't seem Pandora had anyone before or after Blaike.

I agree, it doesn't seem that way. What I was actually thinking at the time was that Voltaire might be a rejected suitor, or even a stalker. And, as Ellen has pointed out, stalkers are not always big on revealing themselves. Or an "ex" in the sense of Nanase's or Diane's many, many boys they dated once or twice and then pretty much forgot.

But I do have a new thought: Voltaire might have known and grown attached to Pandora before her last reset. Since according to Jerry memories of past lives are more like knowing something from reading a book, it would mean that Voltaire could be older, crazier, and more powerful than Pandora. He might even have set up Blaike's murder.

Still, he doesn't show at all in the title page. Does he? 

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe, but do these government-approved officials have the ability to have fighter jets do aerobatics in celebration of your marriage? I don't think so!

Enough of them seem to think that they do or should have the ability to call in an air strike to blow you up if you piss them off...