• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Amiable Dorsai

NP, Monday, August 1, 2016

It is still a Monday NP??

1 hour ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Yeep! Munged the title. Hack?

Surely you could edit it yourself, mate.

Way too cheeky. Surely she could pull the trick off with her spectacles.

4 minutes ago, Stature said:

It is still a Monday NP??

Surely you could edit it yourself, mate.

Wow, I could! I don't think we could do that before The Crash, could we?

Surely, it's still Monday somewhere.

I think I have been interviewed by college student Pandora last time I went to a mall. Same hair and glasses.

And for my obligatory pervert comment, elven Pandora is hotter than college student Pandora.  But y'all knew I would say that, I said I have sorta an elf fetish.

In an Introductory Psychology Class, I remember the Professor telling us that one hundred people willing to answer your questions at the mall is not necessarily representative of the metropolitan area.  Then he told us of the assignments that required the advanced students to go to the mall and try to get one hundred people to answer their questions.

As for her appearance?  I recall a lot of students putting a lot of effort into their appearance in early September.  But by October, there was little attempted beyond basic hygiene (and for more than a few, not even that much).

P.S. Are you sure this is BEFORE Goo? I thought this was the October in the time skip.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In an Introductory Psychology Class, I remember the Professor telling us that one hundred people willing to answer your questions at the mall is not necessarily representative of the metropolitan area.  Then he told us of the assignments that required the advanced students to go to the mall and try to get one hundred people to answer their questions.

As for her appearance?  I recall a lot of students putting a lot of effort into their appearance in early September.  But by October, there was little attempted beyond basic hygiene (and for more than a few, not even that much).

P.S. Are you sure this is BEFORE Goo? I thought this was the October in the time skip.

I thought everyone agreed that this is in fact during the timeskip?

I don't remember anywhere Dan saying that this pre-dates goo, the "previous year" bit I assume was put there to indicate that this NP isn't jumping ahead in the current year.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I think I have been interviewed by college student Pandora last time I went to a mall. Same hair and glasses.

And for my obligatory pervert comment, elven Pandora is hotter than college student Pandora.  But y'all knew I would say that, I said I have sorta an elf fetish.

That being said college student Pandora is still pretty attractive. Oddly enough though, I'm seeing a fusion of Sarah, Grace and Elliot in that form.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

While I largely agree with that, I also agree with Scotty that college student Pandora looks quite appealing. Mind you, what I really love about the strip is her line of "Whoops! I already decided for me!" Somehow it just strikes me as hilarious.

Reminds me of all the writers who talk about their characters deciding what they're going to do on their own, refusing to do what the writer wants or taking them completely by surprise.  Pandora is both writer and character here. :-)

Actually, posing as a college student doing a psychology assignment, I think that pretty much guarantees Luke and his friends will be involved as they're in college.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Reminds me of all the writers who talk about their characters deciding what they're going to do on their own, refusing to do what the writer wants or taking them completely by surprise.  Pandora is both writer and character here. :-)

That's what usually happens to me when I and a character disagree...

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't remember anywhere Dan saying that this pre-dates goo, the "previous year" bit I assume was put there to indicate that this NP isn't jumping ahead in the current year.

That being said college student Pandora is still pretty attractive. Oddly enough though, I'm seeing a fusion of Sarah, Grace and Elliot in that form.

I see a lot of "mild mannered" Elliot in Psych Student Pandora...

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

As do I, and also that like the first time MME (Mild Mannered Elliot) appeared, the transformation happened without either Pandora or Elliot being aware of making the change.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dost thou mean thou asked The Shive? And He answered that verily it was Before the Goo (BG)?

Well, there's a reference to "Before the Goo" set in October, so it would seem to be consistent, except that The Shive labeled the first panel of Pandora's wake-up as "October, the Previous Year." Previous to what? The main storyline has advanced past New Years.

You know, we could really use a consistent dating system for story time. And it should have a Year Zero to make the math easier. Year Zero would be the Year of the Goo. -1 EG (Era Goo) would be the year that guy quit the Anime Martial Arts Academy. Susan would have been born at the very beginning of -17 EG, and will probably get her first doctorate in 10 EG. And maybe Elliot will graduate from Moperville North by then, because you know he'll be held back.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, there's a reference to "Before the Goo" set in October, so it would seem to be consistent, except that The Shive labeled the first panel of Pandora's wake-up as "October, the Previous Year." Previous to what? The main storyline has advanced past New Years.

You know, we could really use a consistent dating system for story time. And it should have a Year Zero to make the math easier. Year Zero would be the Year of the Goo. -1 EG (Era Goo) would be the year that guy quit the Anime Martial Arts Academy. Susan would have been born at the very beginning of -17 EG, and will probably get her first doctorate in 10 EG. And maybe Elliot will graduate from Moperville North by then, because you know he'll be held back.

The is a timeline that was put together a while back by forum members, but Dan's been pretty vague about the actually dates ever since pretty much New Years. Squirrel Prophet starts with a conversation between Tedd and Edward that was stated to have happened January 2nd, but there's not mention of exactly when Identity takes place. I firmly believe that Identity covers the first week of school after the holidays which would be from the 6th to the 9th with the card tournament for Squirrel Prophet being on the 10th and So a Date, Playing with Dolls, and Question Mark being on the 11th. This would of course make Sister 3 cover the 12th to whenever.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dost thou mean thou asked The Shive? And He answered that verily it was Before the Goo (BG)?

No. I was referring to asking the question in the forum.

Somehow, it feels like cheating to ask the author what was intended.  In the natural order of things, the author will write something and then the literary critics will argue about what it means with no regard for the author's opinion beyond what was originally written.

16 hours ago, mlooney said:

Quick, look for marks!

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

As do I, and also that like the first time MME (Mild Mannered Elliot) appeared, the transformation happened without either Pandora or Elliot being aware of making the change.

We don't know for sure if Pandora was aware of Elliot MME form before - oh. Right. :)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The is a timeline that was put together a while back by forum members, but Dan's been pretty vague about the actually dates ever since pretty much New Years.

And he was ALWAYS vague with the YEAR. In fact, I suspect that the reason he's more vague with dates now is because he realized that by revealing if February 29th is present in current year he would drastically limit the choice of what year it is. Just ONCE after February he says what day of month and day of week is at the same time and we will know.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And he was ALWAYS vague with the YEAR. In fact, I suspect that the reason he's more vague with dates now is because he realized that by revealing if February 29th is present in current year he would drastically limit the choice of what year it is. Just ONCE after February he says what day of month and day of week is at the same time and we will know.

Yeah, a lot of the dates that Dan had put out correspond to the year he started the comic which was in 2002. 2013 also matches the timeline and the second year in EGS is following 2014 so far so good. The issue, as you point out, is the leap year, which if we follow the original 2002 layout, 2004 is a leap year so year 3 of EGS would presumably have 29 days in February, however if we go by the 2013 layout, 2015 is not a leap year, 2016 is so EGS year 4 would have to be a leap year. The next possible match for 2002 would be 2019 AND 2020 is a leap year, so we'll be close to confirming or debunking that possibility soon enough.

After all that though, 2030 is the next possible match with 2032 being the leap year and so basically it's an exact match for 2002 with 2004 leap year. That's pretty far ahead considering what they're currently using technology wise. But then again, technology in EGS has developed quite rapidly over it's year. ;)

7 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

I can hardly wait to see the questions she asks.

Well, an old standy is "If you could have one superpower, what superpower would you choose?"

Sometimes it's narrowed down to Flying vs Invisibility.

Of course, to my mind, the answer to the question would depend on what anciliary powers are included.  Flying isn't much fun if you don't have a way to prevent windburn and bugs impacting on your face.  Invisibility is much less useful if you can only make your own body invisible but not your clothes or anything else you're carrying.  If teleportation includes being able to make sure you're not observed when you appear and not materialize in the middle of a wall, then can you use this sense when you're not teleporting, for example to know where the rooms are in a building and where the people are within them?

22 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, an old standy is "If you could have one superpower, what superpower would you choose?"

I remember when a friend of mine got that one. She said, "The stretching power of Elasti-Girl from Incredibles, hands down." When asked why, she replied, "Duh. Can you imagine how easy it would be to have children?"

On 8/2/2016 at 10:31 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Almost every writer I've heard talk about the process of creating a story (and I attend writing panels at sci-fi cons) has mentioned getting into an argument with one of their characters - and losing.