• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Games of the XXXI Olympiad

There has been a lot said about these games already.  Much of it has been for the wrong reasons.

Well, now that they are here, I figure we need a place to toss in our invaluable opinions and observations.

And speculate about how the Uryuom team would perform in open competition.  That's Uryuom (URY), not to be confused with the Uruguay team (URU).

The Opening Ceremonies are Friday night 08/05/2016.  But competition begins today, 08/03/2016.  The first event (of which I am aware) to be broadcast in the US will be the Women's Soccer game between Sweden (SWE) and South Africa (RSA) with coverage in the US beginning at 11:30 a.m. Eastern on the NBCSports Network (NBCSN).  More women's games will follow through the day.  Canada v Australia at 2:00, USA v New Zealand at 6:00.  Men's Soccer begins Thursday.

To keep things fair in inter-species competition, the Uryuoms should probably be disallowed from changing forms in the middle of an event--the conpetitors need to pick a form at the start and stick with it till the end. Otherwise, we are going to see decathletes swapping from running-and-jumping-optimized forms to throwing-optimized forms and back again.

19 minutes ago, Stature said:

10k Dash in Tokyo? Balderdash!

You do understand that the gold woman from the USA can break mach 4 in flight and is fast enough to give an atomic wedgie to a teleporter who knew she was coming.

The objection is not to the use of a 10k dash, but rather to its placement within the city of Tokyo. There is literally nowhere in Tokyo where you have a road that remains straight for a ful ten kilometers--they all twist around all over the place (I have lived there). Also, running at supersonic speed only a few meters away from the glass windows on city buildings is probably a recipe for lots of broken glass.

26 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The objection is not to the use of a 10k dash, but rather to its placement within the city of Tokyo. There is literally nowhere in Tokyo where you have a road that remains straight for a ful ten kilometers--they all twist around all over the place (I have lived there). Also, running at supersonic speed only a few meters away from the glass windows on city buildings is probably a recipe for lots of broken glass.

I'm sure they can find an air base with a runway, or a longish chunk of land some place.  Hell, the built an island to put an airport on, just do that again.

The runners appeared to be warming up in a rather typical stadium so this is probably not a road race.

It they are using the standard 400 meter track, that is 25 laps.

Of course the stadium may house a larger track.  10K would be about five laps at Churchill Downs or less than three laps at Indy.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The runners appeared to be warming up in a rather typical stadium so this is probably not a road race.

Of course the stadium may house a larger track.  10K would be about five laps at Churchill Downs or less than three laps at Indy.

How many laps would that be around the Pyramid of Cheops?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I would think that having a race around a normal olympic sized track, at the speeds Maxima would run, would probably spawn a tornado in the stadium.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Indy is a 4km Track, Talladega though is a 4.28km track. :)

Day -2 of the XXXI Games is over and the Canadian women set a new record with the fastest goal ever scored in Olympic Soccer.

Action today kicks off with Denmark facing Iraq.

The USA Men's soccer team failed to qualify for the tournament.  Again.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

Side note: here in England, roads within a city do likewise twist around the place from what I've seen; grid-plans don't seem to be a very English thing to use.  Might relate to the age of the settlements?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Day -2 of the XXXI Games is over and the Canadian women set a new record with the fastest goal ever scored in Olympic Soccer.

GO CANADA! :D

I didn't really have many hopes for my country doing well in the summer games, We're more Winter Games focused.

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Canada has a decent history in the Olympics outside the winter games.

Whenever Ice Hockey has been played at the summer games, Canada has won the gold.  And Canada has won every Olympic gold medal in Lacrosse.

This clearly shows what Egypt has been doing wrong. Egypt needs to lobby for introducing sand hockey and crocodile water polo.

Beach Volley Ball was SUPPOSED to mark a triumphant return of the sand based games at the Olympics.  But the Americans and Brazilians have dominated the competition.

As for your other suggestion, Crocodile events have a mixed and troublesome history at the modern Olympic Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7KWV73N3s

EDIT This Is Monty Python

While not the most offensive of all Python material, THIS IS MONTY PYTHON

If you have any doubt about whether or not it would be appropriate to play this clip where you are, don't.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

The Opening Ceremonies were ok.  But there does not need to be an hour of "entertainment" before the athletes enter the stadium.
I wonder which Olympic Organizing Genius decided that the Rio games needed to start with Samba and The Girl From Ipanema?  Probably the same mastermind who figured out that the Atlanta Opening Ceremonies needed to include Georgia On My Mind.
I remember Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima from Athens.  Letting him light the cauldron, as the second choice when Pelé had to decline due to health, was a nice gesture.  But an even better gesture would have been letting him light that obnoxious spectator.

The first day of full competition is going better than I expected.
Rowers are in the potentially contaminated lagoon, but the biggest problem seems to be ordinary wind.
First Gold Medal of the Games was awarded to an American.  10m Air Riffle.  That is a huge caliber.
Crashes on the bicycle road race are more dramatic than NASCAR.