• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story: Wed, Aug 3, 2016

52 minutes ago, Catprog said:
5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Let's see. "Magic Itself" wants everything humans "know" about magic to become wrong. Tedd has an uncanny insight into magic. Could his insight mean he's actually changing the nature of magic? Now that would qualify as a far more dangerous rarity.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1833

No Tedd's not doing anything that risks a system change.

Yeah, but Tedd's ability does allow him to basically write out an encyclopedia of spells and how they work. That might be worthy of being a dangerous rarity, considering he hasn't actually created said encyclopedia and his notes likely wouldn't be made public because Edward wouldn't approve, that would mean that someone else have been keeping notes that are nearly as accurate as Tedds and plans on making them public at some point.

Theory: Luke has a spell that lets him detect who has magic, it doesn't really give much detail other that differentiate between normal magic and Uryuom Power. His friends have also been marked and have some sort of spells that we currently don't know what they are yet. If they've been researching magic trying to figure out what they have and how to get more...They don't have DGB telling them they need to keep a lid on it and they have no idea that it should be kept secret. They've been laying low about it so far because it would probably make people think they're crazy if they do anything before they have more information to back them up.

1 hour ago, Catprog said:

How would Tedd know? Just the day before yesterday in story time, he was asking "How does magic work?"

I think maybe that magic detection  wand that can't detect Tedd's magic doesn't work because Tedd came equipped with a new magic operating system, one that updates itself. Nobody else has the update. Yet.

So why is the emissary fooling around in Grace's mind instead of Tedd's? I've got a new angle on that. Remember the magical space whales, and how they could only get into Tedd's mind less than a second? If Tedd changes his magical environment continually, that could be all they could manage.  So the ultimate purpose could be get Grace to get to Tedd, whether or not space whales are pulling the emissary's strings.

21 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
On 08/04/2016 at 2:17 AM, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I would expect that during this kind of work people are routinely scanned which would reveal that.

Yes, and who decides who gets scanned? Would that be Arthur J. Arthur?

Look again. Agent Wolf isn't scanned because it was decided ; he was scanned because he wanted to visit Abraham. Considering the risk of illusions and transformation based identity thefts, there will be places and situations where EVERYONE, even president, will be scanned and any complain based on rank would be dismissed with "sure, Arthur Arthur is my superior, but until I scan you I can't be sure you are Arthur Arthur".

Secret services where similar precautions are NOT deployed won't work well. Or would work for some other country than the one they belong to.

3 hours ago, Catprog said:
8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Let's see. "Magic Itself" wants everything humans "know" about magic to become wrong. Tedd has an uncanny insight into magic. Could his insight mean he's actually changing the nature of magic? Now that would qualify as a far more dangerous rarity.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1833

... assuming Disco Wizard was given enough informations. Which he probably wasn't, because otherwise he would realize Pandora is the reason of events he speaks about ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

How would Tedd know? Just the day before yesterday in story time, he was asking "How does magic work?"

I think maybe that magic detection  wand that can't detect Tedd's magic doesn't work because Tedd came equipped with a new magic operating system, one that updates itself. Nobody else has the update. Yet.

So why is the emissary fooling around in Grace's mind instead of Tedd's? I've got a new angle on that. Remember the magical space whales, and how they could only get into Tedd's mind less than a second? If Tedd changes his magical environment continually, that could be all they could manage.  So the ultimate purpose could be get Grace to get to Tedd, whether or not space whales are pulling the emissary's strings.

Space Whale warned Tedd that something was causing an energy build up around Moperville. It assumed it was caused by one or more beings of great power which I guess is a good enough clue for Immortals, but beyond that, it didn't seem to know anything about Magic having a will and could bring about a system change. Heck it didn't seem to know that Magic was supposed to flow to the other half of the world through Moperville and that it was a clog that was causing the buildup. So I don't see Space Whale being behind Disco Wizard's contact with Grace.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Space Whale warned Tedd that something was causing an energy build up around Moperville. It assumed it was caused by one or more beings of great power which I guess is a good enough clue for Immortals, but beyond that, it didn't seem to know anything about Magic having a will and could bring about a system change. Heck it didn't seem to know that Magic was supposed to flow to the other half of the world through Moperville and that it was a clog that was causing the buildup. So I don't see Space Whale being behind Disco Wizard's contact with Grace.

Good points. I was mostly using the Space Whale as a possible reason "magic itself" didn't give Disco Wizard a spell to get into Tedd's dreams. I can think of another example: Remember what happened to Luke when he tried to use his power on Tedd?

20 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Good points. I was mostly using the Space Whale as a possible reason "magic itself" didn't give Disco Wizard a spell to get into Tedd's dreams. I can think of another example: Remember what happened to Luke when he tried to use his power on Tedd?

Yeah, it's possible that Tedd's rarity could prevent Disco Wizard from using that kind of spell to get into his dreams, then again, Luke's spell lets him see auras, Tedd's aura could just be extremely bright and not a form of magic defense, Luke being a newbie probably doesn't know of ways to brace for such things if there are any.

If "magic" can change itself so that humans won't be able to use familiar spells, why not change itself for Pandora? If Pandora is the prnicipal reason why magic is getting wide exposure to humans, "magic" can't take it's ball away from her? Pandora is more powerful than "magic"?

This is why I put quotation marks around "magic".

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Look again. Agent Wolf isn't scanned because it was decided ; he was scanned because he wanted to visit Abraham. Considering the risk of illusions and transformation based identity thefts, there will be places and situations where EVERYONE, even president, will be scanned and any complain based on rank would be dismissed with "sure, Arthur Arthur is my superior, but until I scan you I can't be sure you are Arthur Arthur".

Look again. The clowns insisting on scanning Agent Wolf already know that Abraham is a stone statue. They're just being dicks because they can. Think they're dumb enough to dick around with a big shot like Arthur J. Arthur?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Look again. The clowns insisting on scanning Agent Wolf already know that Abraham is a stone statue. They're just being dicks because they can. Think they're dumb enough to dick around with a big shot like Arthur J. Arthur?

Anyone dumb enough to be a dick is all too likely dumb enough to NOT follow procedure when it is actually important.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If "magic" can change itself so that humans won't be able to use familiar spells, why not change itself for Pandora? If Pandora is the prnicipal reason why magic is getting wide exposure to humans, "magic" can't take it's ball away from her? Pandora is more powerful than "magic"?

"Magic" lacks precise tools. It can't do something JUST to Pandora. It MIGHT possibly do something to all immortals, but immortals collectively being able to prevent that doesn't sound that unlikely ...

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Think they're dumb enough to dick around with a big shot like Arthur J. Arthur?

... actually, I think they are.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Anyone dumb enough to be a dick is all too likely dumb enough to NOT follow procedure when it is actually important.

On the other hand, this is also true.

I think Magic worked with great precision...if.  It occurs to me was that Magic's intent all along was not to have Grace solve the Pandora Marking People problem but gain enough awareness of it to pull Pandora into Grace's dreams in order to have this conversation with Disco Mage.

I think Magic could depower the world's supply of Immortals if It so desired.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I think Magic worked with great precision...if.  It occurs to me was that Magic's intent all along was not to have Grace solve the Pandora Marking People problem but gain enough awareness of it to pull Pandora into Grace's dreams in order to have this conversation with Disco Mage.

....huh...That actually sounds plausible, it probably would have been more difficult to get Pandora attention normally. Magic might not be able to act directly either, hence Disco Wizard being an emissary. If DW had been told where and how to find Pandora and try to warn her directly that what she was doing was bad, she might not have taken it seriously. Instead, get her interested, make her wonder why someone is going into a person's dreams and giving them information about what she's doing, what kind of motivation is there. Well, she's got it.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Wolf was going into a high-security area. Protocol probably is very simple: you want to go in (or someone is taking you in), you get scanned. It doesn't matter what-all is in there, or why you want to go in, or who you are.

On 08/06/2016 at 4:22 AM, Scotty said:
On 08/06/2016 at 3:01 AM, Vorlonagent said:

....huh...That actually sounds plausible, it probably would have been more difficult to get Pandora attention normally. Magic might not be able to act directly either, hence Disco Wizard being an emissary. If DW had been told where and how to find Pandora and try to warn her directly that what she was doing was bad, she might not have taken it seriously. Instead, get her interested, make her wonder why someone is going into a person's dreams and giving them information about what she's doing, what kind of motivation is there. Well, she's got it.

Agree, this sounds plausible: DW's mission was ineffective, but was the best magic was able to do within the rules prohibiting it from directly reset Pandora or something similar.

On 08/06/2016 at 3:01 AM, Vorlonagent said:

I don't think so. Magic is likely bound by some rules - either it's own rules, or rules based on some agreement with Immortals or something, but in any case can't act freely, just like immortals can't act freely and even half-immortals are limited.