• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Aura Guardian

Story Friday August 5, 2016

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I doubt he would have done so if he had killed the guard rather than pay him.

Once the guard has performed the task, he became a loose end that begged to be tied up. Sirleck depends on not being detected. An incident involving a secret magical artifact would be certain to attract the attention of the DGB (Dad's Government Bureau?). Even if he didn't get his (embezzled) money back, Sirleck should have taken some measures to break the chain of evidence that could lead back to him.

However, since the tenor of EGS is closer to Scooby-Doo than The Big Sleep, I doubt we'll be tripping over many dead bodies.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Once the guard has performed the task, he became a loose end that begged to be tied up. Sirleck depends on not being detected. An incident involving a secret magical artifact would be certain to attract the attention of the DGB (Dad's Government Bureau?). Even if he didn't get his (embezzled) money back, Sirleck should have taken some measures to break the chain of evidence that could lead back to him.

However, since the tenor of EGS is closer to Scooby-Doo than The Big Sleep, I doubt we'll be tripping over many dead bodies.

Thing is though, Sirleck changed hosts after the bribe occurred, and the guard wouldn't know he was bribed by an aberration, heck the guard likely never saw the guy the bribed him.

There's also the fact that if the guard that let Tedd and Elliot into the facility mysteriously died shortly after, Edward would become suspicious. As it stands even if the guard comes out and says he was bribed to let them in, the money likely wouldn't be traceable because Sirleck has beem embezzling money for a while through many hosts and probably has run it through a labyrinth of banks and offshore accounts and stuff.

23 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

As DBG has apparently been active for long time they probably has a secret number of vaults filled with secrets, in secret places, their existence and location only known to a secret number of peolpe who is very secretive about the issue. Add to that all the secret aliens and magical beings that DBG has hidden in plain sight and you have a lot of people depending on the DBG to keep their true nature secret.

Just cutting the Red Tape would either mean that all those secrets are lost to the organization, or they risk being exposed. Neither sounds like a good idea. So all that Red Tape, as cumbersome as it might be, does serve a purpose as it's keeping the DBG working slow, and minimizes the risk to society.

I wasn't saying to cut the red tape. DGB can continue having it and all the good it entails. But the main 8 do not need to subject themselves to it, and could work as an external strike force or private eye organization.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Sirleck changed hosts after the bribe occurred

Umm, enlighten me and perhaps the rest of us, is that in canon? I'm not being intentionally snarky here, but I do keep re-reading the series quite a lot. It is possible without technically breaking canon as I understand it. Sirleck isn't seen at all until long after Ellen's creation. While he's never seen using another host, he could have switched hosts during one of his "breaks" from his currently brain-dead ride if Mr. Yet-Another-Character-With-No-Name-After-Multiple-Appearances-Over-Years-and-Demonstrated-Importance-to-the-Story if (Okay, my brain is channelling that Monty Python sketch about the long dead guy with an impossibly long name ending with "of Ulm) (Let's call  Sirleck's host "BDN" for "Brain Dead Now") While BDN was NYBD (Not Yet Brain Dead.)

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Umm, enlighten me and perhaps the rest of us, is that in canon? I'm not being intentionally snarky here, but I do keep re-reading the series quite a lot. It is possible without technically breaking canon as I understand it. Sirleck isn't seen at all until long after Ellen's creation. While he's never seen using another host, he could have switched hosts during one of his "breaks" from his currently brain-dead ride if Mr. Yet-Another-Character-With-No-Name-After-Multiple-Appearances-Over-Years-and-Demonstrated-Importance-to-the-Story if (Okay, my brain is channelling that Monty Python sketch about the long dead guy with an impossibly long name ending with "of Ulm) (Let's call  Sirleck's host "BDN" for "Brain Dead Now") While BDN was NYBD (Not Yet Brain Dead.)

Sirleck's never seen until the first T-Minus chapter which shows the moment he takes possession of the old guy who was basically in the process of dying until Sirleck stopped it. This happens March 20th, nearly 2 months after Ellen's creation. The second T-Minus has Sirleck revealing that he bribed the guard, stating his part of Magus' plan worked despite the plan overall not going as intended. This conversation happens March 21st.

Dan said in the commentary for Sirleck's first appearance that the old man wasn't important, so we'll likely never know who he was. The previous host we didn't see probably because Dan wasn't able to work them into the story at the time.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

the first T-Minus chapter which shows the moment he takes possession of the old guy who was basically in the process of dying until Sirleck stopped it.

Maybe The Shive could have made that more explicit. Sirleck's remark could have meant that the old man had just become brain-dead. But it could also mean that the old man was already brain-dead. If Sirleck thought it was safe to "take a break" before that scene and was re-possessing the old-man, why wouldn't Sirleck have just possessed the guard? Would have saved a bribe, wouldn't it? And if this was the first moment Sirleck possessed the old man, how did he raise the money for the bribe?

But, of course, only The Shive really knows.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe The Shive could have made that more explicit. Sirleck's remark could have meant that the old man had just become brain-dead. But it could also mean that the old man was already brain-dead. If Sirleck thought it was safe to "take a break" before that scene and was re-possessing the old-man, why wouldn't Sirleck have just possessed the guard? Would have saved a bribe, wouldn't it? And if this was the first moment Sirleck possessed the old man, how did he raise the money for the bribe?

But, of course, only The Shive really knows.

Maybe the term 'brain dead' was meant derogatively. Sirleck is already a life-stealing horror that cares nothing about other human beings. I would not put it past him to be ableist, too.

9 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe the term 'brain dead' was meant derogatively. Sirleck is already a life-stealing horror that cares nothing about other human beings. I would not put it past him to be ableist, too.

That's how I've always read it. The idea that the host might actually be clinically brain dead didn't occur to me until some in this forum posted that view.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe the term 'brain dead' was meant derogatively.

Sirleck's host being brain-dead is why Sirleck can't leave the old man without losing access to his wealth, home, dancing secretary, etc.

I wonder how long Sirleck has been using that host? Could it be that he keeps wearing out his hosts, perhaps rapidly aging them?

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Dad's Government Bureau?

The DGB is defined as Dad's Government Business ... obviously, it's not real name of organization and in fact Edward was referring not to the organization itself but business in the "not your business" sense.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

the first T-Minus chapter which shows the moment he takes possession of the old guy who was basically in the process of dying until Sirleck stopped it.

Maybe The Shive could have made that more explicit. Sirleck's remark could have meant that the old man had just become brain-dead. But it could also mean that the old man was already brain-dead. If Sirleck thought it was safe to "take a break" before that scene and was re-possessing the old-man,

I'm not sure why that would be even an repossession. The moment that old man died, maybe.

why wouldn't Sirleck have just possessed the guard? Would have saved a bribe, wouldn't it?

Either there are additional conditions for the possession the guard didn't met, or Sirleck can't switch hosts too rapidly and didn't wanted to be caught inside that guard. Also, the guard likely wasn't rich enough for Sirleck.

And if this was the first moment Sirleck possessed the old man, how did he raise the money for the bribe?

Well, his previous host might ALSO be rich ... (although I do think that it wasn't the moment he possessed him first time)

44 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could it be that he keeps wearing out his hosts, perhaps rapidly aging them?

Probably not so rapidly it would be suspicious. But, maybe he can't really possess someone young? Or maybe he IS using this host for long time.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

the money likely wouldn't be traceable because Sirleck has beem embezzling money for a while through many hosts and probably has run it through a labyrinth of banks and offshore accounts and stuff.

Agree: Sirleck didn't needed to switch hosts, he just used more mundane means of making sure the money are not traceable.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Either there are additional conditions for the possession the guard didn't met, or Sirleck can't switch hosts too rapidly and didn't wanted to be caught inside that guard. Also, the guard likely wasn't rich enough for Sirleck.

My guess is that he can't possess several hosts at the same time, and his current host is the identity that has access to all of Sirleck's money. Most probably he either couldn't leave his host without having it either dieing on him or having it try to sabotage his money laundering scheme, or leaving a host will always kill it. So Sirleck has to prepare a transfer carefully if he want to have access to his wealth after. And from what we've seen personal wealth is very important to him.

4 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

My guess is that he can't possess several hosts at the same time, and his current host is the identity that has access to all of Sirleck's money. Most probably he either couldn't leave his host without having it either dieing on him or having it try to sabotage his money laundering scheme, or leaving a host will always kill it. So Sirleck has to prepare a transfer carefully if he want to have access to his wealth after. And from what we've seen personal wealth is very important to him.

Sirleck's situation.

I AM THE LINKER! SAVING THE DAY WITH HYPERTEXT!

10 hours ago, Zorua said:
11 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Sirleck's situation.

That's Sirleck's situation THEN. The question was if he had other options months before in time of the dewitchery diamond incident. Or, well, WHY he didn't had other options.

I mean, his host might not be braindead back then.

35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's Sirleck's situation THEN. The question was if he had other options months before in time of the dewitchery diamond incident. Or, well, WHY he didn't had other options.

I mean, his host might not be braindead back then.

Sirleck's host may not have been his host before the comcs timeframe.  This comic could be showing Sirleck latching onto his current host.  Even I'm not sure either way....

Sirleck may have had other options but he either did not take them or wasn't ready to take them at the time.  His situation has evolved from some unknown state to become what we see in Zorua's link.

On August 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Scotty said:

Sirleck's never seen until the first T-Minus chapter which shows the moment he takes possession of the old guy who was basically in the process of dying until Sirleck stopped it.

Interesting!  I have seen that page so many times, and I never thought of it that way.  It's like looking at the vase and suddenly seeing the faces.  After thinking about it, I do think it more likely that Sirleck had been possessing this host for a while before that point, but I can't rule out that being the moment of possession, either.  I'll have to keep the possibility in mind on my next re-read and see if it brings up any other ideas....

Sirleck indicated that selecting a new host and arranging for said new host to "inherit" a nice fortune from him takes significant time and effort. So I doubt that he does it casually - he wants a host that he can remain in for a long time.

People who already have nice fortunes by other means tend to be fairly conspicuous and connected - so a change in behavior will be noticed. So do established people with careers, spouses, children...

For a variety of reasons, Sirleck wants a young person. Someone at a breakpoint where they normally tend to leave their family and friends (or have friends leave them) and scatter, such as shortly after they graduate from high school or college, would be great.