• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Friday August 5, 2016

I find mall interviews, even by cute co-eds to be creepy.  And people in the mall asking you to sign their petition REALLY get up set when you read it first, then hand them back the form saying "nope, can't sign that".

21 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I actually think that Rhoda DID realize she can make things smaller or larger during timeskip AND having friend who ALSO have some magic ability helped her to deal with it.

I'm not so sure, because with Rhoda's personality, how do you think she would feel if she realized she was the cause of the boar getting big, and then brought attention to it which lead to getting it killed? I think we would have seen something about her behaviour change.

I don't think it would be THAT bad long-term, and we were not seeing her often enough. Remember that the reason why they started to hunt the boar was that he attacked her ; hardly anyone believed them how big it was, so no, it wasn't it's size which get it killed.

Also, she might not realize she enlarged the boar. Especially if she found she can make things smaller but not bigger yet ...

18 hours ago, ijuin said:

That would be fun, but being able to morph away the fairy wings when needed would help with fitting into tiny spaces.

... makes my dragon form not really though over ...

10 hours ago, ijuin said:
17 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(Well, in a universe such as ours it would literally take a lot of energy - several megatons equivalent.)

It would only take megatons if the matter were being created "ex nihilo". If instead the component atoms were drawn from the surrounding air and ground, then it would only require the chemical energy amount (a few thousand kilocalories/megajoules). If the Fairy Doll is 1/6 of Nanase's height, then it masses about 1/200 of her weight--about 250-300 grams (8-10 ounces). The chemical energy contained in a mammal of that weight with the fat/muscle proportions of Nanase is in the ballpark of two thousand kilocalories, and we can multiply that by a factor of three or so to reflect the energy cost of gathering and assembling the atoms.

You will still need NUCLEAR reactions to change the nitrogen from air to something more solid. If you would build it from nitrogen ... well, typical compounds with lot of nitrogen are nitroglycerin, TNT ... you get the idea. You need carbon to build something solid and stable (or silicon, but that's even harder to make from nitrogen, and the doll LOOKS like mostly from carbon ; or something even heavier). You can get the energy from the atoms in air, but you will still need to MANIPULATE at least kilotons of energy, and end up with so small overhead it won't catch fire.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, she might not realize she enlarged the boar. Especially if she found she can make things smaller but not bigger yet ...

I would think that the next time she used the spell and made something shrink, if she noticed that it was her that did that, the next likely thought in her head would be "if I can make things small, can I make them big too?" which would lead to "Oh my god, I made that boar big!"

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I find mall interviews, even by cute co-eds to be creepy.  And people in the mall asking you to sign their petition REALLY get up set when you read it first, then hand them back the form saying "nope, can't sign that".

When someone approaches me in a mall and asks me if I want to do something, with the incentive being a free gift, I tell them "No thank you, I prefer expensive gifts".

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Blow that for a game of soldiers. If they can't handle rejection, they are in the wrong line of work.