• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Monday, August 8, 2016

50 minutes ago, animalia said:

Do you even know what a parasite is?

The Moderator: Please do not ask questions in a condescending manner like this. Offering a polite correction is in good order. Talking down to your fellow posters is not, try to avoid it.

~tOH.

17 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

It is better to be at the top of the food chain than the bottom.

The leopard eats the bird. The mosquito eats the leopard. The bird eats the mosquito.

If there's one thing good about parasites (or at least, mosquitoes) it's that they are a feedback loop in the food chain.

The grass consumes sunlight.  The buffalo consumes grass.  The mosquito consumes the buffalo.  A bat which cannot eat grass and cannot consume sunlight lives because mosquitoes are tapping the energy flow for it.

It's probably not what The Shive has in mind, but maybe magic is basically created by humans, whether or not they can use it. This could provide another reason for the Immortals to suppress vampires: they deplete a renewable resource that Immortals use. Perhaps the Immortals themselves are unconscious creations of humanity. Or, in other halves and other universes, unconscious creations of griffinity, pony-inity, centaurinity, space whale-inity, etc.

19 hours ago, inqntrol said:

How come the Disco Wizard doesn't know that Immortals can shapeshift? Being the ''Emisarry of Magic itself'' you'd think he knows much more.

I totally predicted this. I mean, I was saying that just because he's emissary of Magic it doesn't mean he knows as much as he thinks he knows. I didn't predicted that Pandora will tell him directly.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When Pandora was playing the part of Grace, she should have grown a tail.

Or antennae. But that would reduce the effect of "Immortals shapeshift, you dumb dummy!".

BTW, she's not first using similar sentence: Cubi are shapeshifters you moron!

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But why would "the will of magic" play such an elaborate game?

Possibly for the same reason Pandora "Warned" Luke.  There may be some requirement to make the warning, but no need to make the warning known.

... you mean magic would actually be surprised it worked?

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora does not say anything about unmarking.

Well, because it's not possible, likely.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Pandora is so dangerous to the "will of magic", why doesn't "magic itself" just take away her powers? Then only thing that makes sense is that Pandora is as powerful or more powerful than whoever or whatever "magic itself" really is. How can a being dependent on magic be more powerful than "magic itself?

Magic itself - not. "Magic itself" - easily. Or the "will" of magic doesn't really have that much control over magic.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora kind of sounds less like the mythical Pandora to me now than Prometheus or Loki, both sentenced to dreadful punishment for giving the power of fire to man. Hmm... that horde was gonna throw fire when suddenly they couldn't...

I see the similarities ... also, yes, she might've been the one who gave the horde that fire ...

4 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

So humans are... parasites, feeding off of a living force of nature...

Considering magic WANTS some magic users, it more reminds a symbiosis which is destabilized if one side of symbiosis get overpopulated.

3 hours ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

If there's one thing good about parasites (or at least, mosquitoes) it's that they are a feedback loop in the food chain.

It's not feedback unless they return the energy to the SUN.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's probably not what The Shive has in mind, but maybe magic is basically created by humans, whether or not they can use it.

I suspect Dan would rather explore how Uryuom fought in second world war than explain the creation of universe.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or, in other halves and other universes, unconscious creations of griffinity, pony-inity, centaurinity, space whale-inity, etc.

Well, in some universes, they are completely conscious about it.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect Dan would rather explore how Uryuom fought in second world war than explain the creation of universe.

Ellen said on her first day of school that in her other life, Uryuom fought in the American Revolution. Their Second Amendment probably gives the right to bear any number of arms, legs, antennae, tails, etc.

2 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

I feel this is obligatory. Hopefully at least some folks here know where it's from.

Cubi are shapeshifters.png

Darnit, beat me to it.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Magic itself - not. "Magic itself" - easily. Or the "will" of magic doesn't really have that much control over magic.

That's one of my favorite theories, that Magic itself can't do anything about how an individual uses magic, only what the general rules for using magic is. So Magic can rewrite the rulebook for how magic works for all humans, but can't single out one individual or a  small group of humans.

14 hours ago, animalia said:

Do you even know what a parasite is?

Apparently not.* You're kind of a jerk, though.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

*puts on vet/biologist hat*

A parasite is something which feeds off of or takes resources from another (generally larger) host creature, to the detriment of the host and the benefit of the parasite.  The classic form is endoparasites, such as tapeworms that live in the intestines and feed off of the host's bloodstream, but the term can also encompass stealing resources another creature has gathered or depositing eggs in another bird's nest so that the other bird will expend resources on raising the parasitic young instead of their own.

Mosquitoes are parasites -- they take blood, and the host does not benefit in any known way from the relationship.  They're not predators because they don't kill the host (at least not directly, the diseases they can carry are another matter).  The plants do no harm to the sun, therefore they are not parasites.

*takes off vet/biologist hat, tries to fix bad case of hat-hair*

Thanks for the correction. Would you call a human a parasite on the earth, then, or a parasite to magic in this context?

EDIT: *in my defense, I have been adjusting to a new job that has a 12 hr Dupont shift schedule, and my body hasn't caught up to it. I'd been awake for around 48 hrs at the time of writing that comment. I'd like to think I'd've caught it had I been more on point.

3 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

Apparently not. You're kind of a jerk, though.

Thanks for the correction. Would you call a human a parasite on the earth, then, or a parasite to magic in this context?

Sorry I was tired and did not want to explain. It does not excuse my behavior though.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, CritterKeeper said:

Mosquitoes are parasites -- they take blood, and the host does not benefit in any known way from the relationship.  They're not predators because they don't kill the host (at least not directly, the diseases they can carry are another matter).  

Clearly we need to get some mad scientists at work on breeding mosquitos that are pack hunters. 

And surely by now some villain in literature somewhere has used throwing the hero into a box with half a million starving mosquitos as a death trap.

2 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:
9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So you want to be a star?

Wouldn't a star be on the bottom? Green plants feed on light. Herbivores feed on the plants.

Obviously, black holes are on the top. The ones big enough to not evaporate.

Black holes definitely have it good. They're attractive despite not being on a diet ...

22 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: Please, Matoyak. I had already called them on this.

Apologies. I missed that there was a third page at the time.