• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
heroesofcrash

Comic 8/13/16 - School Curricula Should Include Common Sense

ComicNumber642.png

theheroesofcrash.com

While Gelatin Boy is questioning Sugar Rush's common sense, it prompts me to consider the notion that common sense isn't so common.  In college, I studied Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences; simply put, it's the idea that there's different kinds of smarts, like book-smarts, people-smarts, body-smarts, etc.  Everyone is smart, just in different ways.

While my experiences in the realm of education taught me that everyone can be smart, my experiences in working retail taught me that the opposite is also true: everyone can be a bonehead sometimes.  Just as we all have our mental strengths, we all have our weaknesses, too.  So while Gardner has his theory of multiple intelligences, let me take this moment to call dibs on Winthrop's Theory of Multiple Stupidities (Although I'll likely change the name to something less offensive, but equally catchy and expedient).  It's true of real people, and people in my comic... especially when it comes to social cues.  Cannon doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, Sugar Rush acts (and eats) before she thinks, and Belt Boy... well, you could probably write a book on the stuff he doesn't grasp.

So if everyone's got these mental Achilles' heels, then perhaps what one person considers common sense may not be quite so obvious to someone else...?  Maybe that's why it's only "common" sense instead of unanimous sense: because it's not obvious to everyone.

But that's just a theory.  A BRAIN THEORY!  Thanks for reading!

(All apologies to MatPat for that last joke!)