• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday August 15, 2016

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Quite a range there.

A .300 batter is a player to be named later.

a .400 batter is half way to Cooperstown.

I dunno. I'd be more worried about a .303 batter or maybe one who bats .357 Magnum.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Catching or hitting a ball is indeed a high-precision task. Consider the batter in baseball--assuming a pitch speed of 30 m/s (about 110 km/h, not too fast for a baseball), the ball is within the strike zone for literally less than 1/30 of a second--the length of ONE frame of a typical video--and we know that video frames pass by so quickly that our brain is unable to distinguish one frame from the next (sort of the point of animation, after all). So, the baseball is going past the batter in less time than a human can usually perceive, and yet at the professional level, a batter can hit the ball a good fraction of the time (typical professional batting averages are around .300 to .400, meaning that they strike out no more than about two-thirds of the time at most). I think that is pretty impressive.

Heck, consider the pitcher too.
To throw the majority of pitches properly, the signals for your fingers to release the ball must be sent a few fractions of a second BEFORE they actually release the ball, which makes throwing those incredible pitches tricky at minimum.

Yes--typical human reaction time is upwards of 200 milliseconds--which is six to ten times as long as the window for hitting the ball (or any similarly precise action by a pitcher). This means that correct timing not only requires knowing where the ball is to a greater precision than your brain is actually capable of perceiving, but also requires that you start the action quite a ways ahead of time.

10 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I've seen a clip about a man who was able to do advanced arithmetics in his head faster than most people are able to enter them into a calculator or computer. They did some experiments trying to learn how he was able to do this and found that his brain was wired a bit differently from most peoples. For instance, working on complex math activated a large part of the brain that in most people is used for hand eye coordination tasks such as catching or throwing a ball. Catching a ball is a surprisingly complex action that most of us doesn't have much problem with, yet we have to see the ball, determine the speed, angle, wind speed and how much it will drop so we can move to catch it. Get some spin on it and it's even harder. Unfortunately they didn't talk about how good his hand-eye coordination was so I have no idea if his ability to compute numbers and the way his brain is wired might make other tasks harder.

Interesting but makes sense. And yes, the question if his ability to coordinate was affected would be very important.

37 minutes ago, Hariman said:

the length of ONE frame of a typical video--and we know that video frames pass by so quickly that our brain is unable to distinguish one frame from the next

That's myth. We can see lightning, which is MUCH shorter. The thing is that brain is very good at adapting. 20fps is usually already good enough for it to pretend it doesn't see the frames separate, EXCEPT when something moves quickly. For quick move, you need to add motion blur to fool brain, OR go as high as 60fps - and there are gamers complaining that 60fps is not fluid enough. Yet, screen flashing at 60fps is VISIBLY distracting if you don't look at it directly but just by peripheral vision, which is why CRTs went up with vertical synchronization up to 120 even if it meant to show same image twice (or four times). Is less problem with LCD, as LCD has longer inertia and don't actually go black between frames like CRT.

16 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yes--typical human reaction time is upwards of 200 milliseconds--which is six to ten times as long as the window for hitting the ball (or any similarly precise action by a pitcher). This means that correct timing not only requires knowing where the ball is to a greater precision than your brain is actually capable of perceiving, but also requires that you start the action quite a ways ahead of time.

I remember reading that if athlete starts running less than 100 milliseconds after the start of race, they call it cheating.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I remember reading that if athlete starts running less than 100 milliseconds after the start of race, they call it cheating.

Given the known reaction rate of the human nervous system, in order to start moving within 100 milliseconds, either the athlete's brain and motor nerves function superhumanly fast, or else the athlete was NOT acting in response to the start signal actually beginning, and instead merely predicted it.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Given the known reaction rate of the human nervous system, in order to start moving within 100 milliseconds, either the athlete's brain and motor nerves function superhumanly fast, or else the athlete was NOT acting in response to the start signal actually beginning, and instead merely predicted it.

Yeah ; clearly case of racism :)

And religious intolerance :)