• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

NP Wednesday August 17, 2016

57 minutes ago, Matoyak said:
13 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

How's this for a rationalization? Ashley has been into transformation for a long time. As a child, she tried transforming herself over and over again until she gave up trying. Now that she is marked, she isn't going to change until she tries to change, or at least wishes to change, but she has long since given up trying and wishing.

That would actually make a fair amount of sense, especially in comic logic.

One would figure though that with Elliot showing off his transformation abilities, and then all the crazy stuff that happened after, Ashley would have accidentally used the spell. It's too bad Tara apparently didn't look at Ashley's when she was telling everone of Elliot's, Ellen's, Nanase's, and Diane's magic potential. She would have noticed if Ashley had form of magic, heck, she should have looked for any potential in Ashley immediately after getting soccer balled to the face.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

One would figure though that with Elliot showing off his transformation abilities, and then all the crazy stuff that happened after, Ashley would have accidentally used the spell.

Ashley has been pretty careful about prying, though she makes slips like when she asks if spells like magically transporting oneself into the imaginary worlds of fiction are common. In story time, she's only known magic is real for a few days, and as of the end of So a Date at the Mall, she hasn't met Grace yet and doesn't know about magic marks. And, as I postulated earlier, just like Rhoda, she may have already used her magic without realizing it.

The only one in the gang who could pick up that Ashley has powers instantly is Grace, and Grace hasn't met Ashley yet. Elliot, Ellen, Nanase, and Ashley are all focused on:

1. Susan and Diane
  2. Vampires in Moperville
  3. Voltaire outing Elliot as Cheerleadra

Even if Elliot somehow finds a magic mark on Ashley, does Elliot know about magic marks yet? And if Ashley has had an "invisible" awakening like Justin's, she won't have a mark any more.

I think I have demonstrated that:

• Ashley could have been marked
  • Her spell could remain undiscovered
  • How her magic could remain undiscovered for some time

Of course, The Shive will likely explode some or all of our current Ashley theories tomorrow or whenever with the next NP posting. I bet He likes to pop bubble wrap.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The only one in the gang who could pick up that Ashley has powers instantly is Grace, and Grace hasn't met Ashley yet. Elliot, Ellen, Nanase, and Ashley are all focused on:

Grace doesn't have any special "I can see if people have marks" ability, the only reason she had those moments when she saw Rhoda and Justin were because of her discussions with Disco Wizard in her dreams, she was likely told that Justin and Rhoda were marked and where the marks likely were, seeing their backs triggered an "I saw this in my dreams for some reason" feeling, it wasn't until she saw Dex, whom she knew had a mark on his chest that she realized why she had those moments with Justin and Rhoda. Note, she didn't have that moment with Luke when he showed up, but then she never met Luke before so she wouldn't think that he was marked.

At best, having Grace look at Ashley will let her relationship senses tell her if Ashley and Elliot are good for each other.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

One would figure though that with Elliot showing off his transformation abilities, and then all the crazy stuff that happened after, Ashley would have accidentally used the spell. It's too bad Tara apparently didn't look at Ashley's when she was telling everone of Elliot's, Ellen's, Nanase's, and Diane's magic potential. She would have noticed if Ashley had form of magic, heck, she should have looked for any potential in Ashley immediately after getting soccer balled to the face.

Tara may not know what's worth commenting on in our half of the world.  Her rattling off a few examples of who has what magic didn't seem like it was meant to be an exhaustive catalog of every ability of everyone there.

Rich's first possible spell was greater insight, which certainly wouldn't be visible to the outside world.  Ashley's could have been something similarly not apparent to others, like instinctively being drawn to shapeshifters, or enhancing the transformation abilities of others and making them "level up" faster (which would explain Elliot suddenly having at least two new spells, or at least significant variations on existing ones).

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The only one in the gang who could pick up that Ashley has powers instantly is Grace, and Grace hasn't met Ashley yet.

Grace doesn't sense Marks directly, she only has vague memories of the Marks she saw in her dreams.  However, it's possible that there is more to her dream than she has so far remembered, and/or that Disco Wizard has been adding to her knowledge since the dream we first saw him in.  So, I don't think it's impossible that she could see someone new, and flashback to more dream memories.  Given that she saw what their powers were, and not just that they had Marks, that could prove very interesting....

Even if Elliot somehow finds a magic mark on Ashley, does Elliot know about magic marks yet?

I've been assuming they share information, but you're right, I don't think it's canon that everyone in the circle knows everything -- Justin is proof of that!

I'm now picturing a scene where they discuss magic Marks, and Elliot pipes in with something along the lines of, "But Ashley has a mark like that on her....um...." *blush*

And if Ashley has had an "invisible" awakening like Justin's, she won't have a mark any more.

I think she'd have to have been using her spell a lot to have Awakened in just a few months.  I guess we don't know exactly when Pandora Woke Justin, so we don't have a good benchmark for how long that process takes.  She'd have to build up her magic capacity before she could Awaken properly, even with help.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

She likely noticed - she just didn't found anything noteworthy on her. Compared to others.

Hmmm ... Ashley had barely time to stop and think. It would be more likely for her to use the spell later ... actually, ideal opportunity will be when she will be talking about what happened to Liz.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Even if Elliot somehow finds a magic mark on Ashley, does Elliot know about magic marks yet? And if Ashley has had an "invisible" awakening like Justin's, she won't have a mark any more.

... I'm sure they get to trying, but it would be little too much on first date :)

I would say that invisible awakening is unlikely, but with Justin as example ...

22 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think she'd have to have been using her spell a lot to have Awakened in just a few months.  I guess we don't know exactly when Pandora Woke Justin, so we don't have a good benchmark for how long that process takes.  She'd have to build up her magic capacity before she could Awaken properly, even with help.

Definitely. Remember that Justin had lot of Anime martial arts training - AND probably trained with his spell as well.

Of course, if the spell Ashley got is something inconspicuous, she might be casting it all the time without realizing ... I mean, unlikely, but possible.

I've been assuming they share information, but you're right, I don't think it's canon that everyone in the circle knows everything -- Justin is proof of that!

I'm now picturing a scene where they discuss magic Marks, and Elliot pipes in with something along the lines of, "But Ashley has a mark like that on her....um...." *blush*

Not speaking about the possibility that Elliot was being told but forgot.

Yes ... I would really like to know who exactly knows what ... but I suspect Dan is keeping this vague deliberately.

Rich's first possible spell was greater insight, which certainly wouldn't be visible to the outside world.  Ashley's could have been something similarly not apparent to others, like instinctively being drawn to shapeshifters, or enhancing the transformation abilities of others and making them "level up" faster (which would explain Elliot suddenly having at least two new spells, or at least significant variations on existing ones).

What makes you think Elliot got new spell before the "I'm girl and I like it"? I mean, it could've been OLD spell he just didn't noticed.

18 hours ago, Drasvin said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why?

Because Federation ships treats the plasma conduits like a modern person would treat power outlets and the supporting wires in their home.

That sounds VERY dangerous.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

These ship functions demand energies on the same order of magnitude as the ship's main propulsion, and once you've already got the conduits in place to transfer all of that energy, then you may as well tap into it for other power needs rather than build a second, separate system for all of the lesser functions.

While I agree that phasers need plasma conduits, I don't think they are actually used in crew quarters.

Ashley's could have been something similarly not apparent to others, like instinctively being drawn to shapeshifters, or enhancing the transformation abilities of others and making them "level up" faster (which would explain Elliot suddenly having at least two new spells, or at least significant variations on existing ones).

Pandora was hoping for something that would produce a large effect of noticable  magic, her reaction upon seeing Ashley and Liz suggests she either found what she was hoping for, or something entirely different but still enough to shock her.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... Ashley had barely time to stop and think. It would be more likely for her to use the spell later ... actually, ideal opportunity will be when she will be talking about what happened to Liz.

She had time to think about how to get Tara to stop chasing Elliot, mind you a transformation spell probably wouldn't have helped like a well aimed soccer ball to the face did. Still most of the accidental uses we've seen from Justin, Rhoda, and Tedd weren't fully thought out things, they were emotion fueled with the hint of intent. Justin under attack from a hostile fire golem, needing to do something to stop it.  Rhoda scared of a big bad boar coming at her. Tedd having the revelation about genderfluidity and the rush of feelings there. For Ashley, there's been plenty of moments where she's been excited about transformation, and if she had known about her spell for a while now, why keep that a secret from Elliot, they'd be kindred spirits, she'd be like "You can do that too?!?" when she saw Elliot in the stairwell.

Also, I doubt Ashley will go into details about what she's seen to Liz, if Liz did see the news and ask about it, Ashley would probably attempt to say as little as possible, she's already been established as someone that didn't want Elliot betraying anyone by telling her about magic, and also told Nanase she wouldn't pry despite having so many questions. The only time Ashley did ask about something was when she was trying to help Nanase reach Elliot with the fairy avatar. So yeah, I don't see her saying too much about it to Liz.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't see her saying too much about it to Liz.

Yes, she didn't tell Liz about Elliot transforming. Although the prospect of going on a real date seemed to be more important news. To Ashley, anyway.

Kind of think Liz's dating experiences haven't been of the best.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Mixed up Liz with Ashley--really!!

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She had time to think about how to get Tara to stop chasing Elliot, mind you a transformation spell probably wouldn't have helped like a well aimed soccer ball to the face did.

Ok, not literally. Just ... considering how many things she would need to think about, not enough time to do it on date itself.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Still most of the accidental uses we've seen from Justin, Rhoda, and Tedd weren't fully thought out things, they were emotion fueled with the hint of intent. Justin under attack from a hostile fire golem, needing to do something to stop it.  Rhoda scared of a big bad boar coming at her. Tedd having the revelation about genderfluidity and the rush of feelings there.

Actually, Rhoda making the bear bigger doesn't exactly look like intent. It would make more sense to make it smaller - but it LOOKED bigger to her.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

For Ashley, there's been plenty of moments where she's been excited about transformation, and if she had known about her spell for a while now, why keep that a secret from Elliot, they'd be kindred spirits, she'd be like "You can do that too?!?" when she saw Elliot in the stairwell.

Yes, the most likely train of thoughts is "Pandora wanted to give someone transformation" - "Ashley want's transformations" - "Pandora marks Ashley" - "Ashley will cast the spell accidentally in same day" - "Ashley will have plenty of time to realize it's spell" - "When noticing Elliot, she would totally tell him". Obviously, the last part didn't happened. Now, which part of that chain is the weakest link?

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also, I doubt Ashley will go into details about what she's seen to Liz, if Liz did see the news and ask about it, Ashley would probably attempt to say as little as possible, she's already been established as someone that didn't want Elliot betraying anyone by telling her about magic, and also told Nanase she wouldn't pry despite having so many questions. The only time Ashley did ask about something was when she was trying to help Nanase reach Elliot with the fairy avatar. So yeah, I don't see her saying too much about it to Liz.

Quite the contrary. She would DEFINITELY be telling Liz and would tell lot of details ... about the parts which were already on news, so she can be sure she's not betraying anyone. Similarly how she immediatelly told Liz she has date, but not telling her that Elliot can transform.

She actually MAY tell Liz that Elliot can transform because assuming the cats already out of bag with Illuminated calling him by name. She would DEFINITELY not tell her Diane is vampire hunter (or Susan's sister) and Nanase have blood of queens. Other stuff is harder ... will she tell her about the vampire? About Andrea? Probably not, although it wouldn't be completely against her character. Meddling teenagers? Nanase and Ellen are local celebrities, she MAY mention she met them, but probably without mentioning they have magic.

... would be interesting story. Pity we will get one page from that top and will be left guessing what exactly Liz knows.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, she didn't tell Liz about Elliot transforming. Although the prospect of going on a real date seemed to be more important news. To Ashley, anyway.

Kind of think Ashley's dating experiences haven't been of the best.

We only know of 2 prior cases, Ashley's internet relationship that she broke off because of distance issues and the low chance of them actually seeing each other, and Bad Tom and either she broke up with him after catching on that he's a manipulator, or he dumped her when he decided to target Susan. Though knowing Bad Tom, he probably manipulated Ashley into dumping him so he'd be free to go after Susan, which would certainly make him worse.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, Rhoda making the bear bigger doesn't exactly look like intent. It would make more sense to make it smaller - but it LOOKED bigger to her.

Ok, I'll give you that one, it was more like "big boar's gonna kill me!"

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, the most likely train of thoughts is "Pandora wanted to give someone transformation" - "Ashley want's transformations" - "Pandora marks Ashley" - "Ashley will cast the spell accidentally in same day" - "Ashley will have plenty of time to realize it's spell" - "When noticing Elliot, she would totally tell him". Obviously, the last part didn't happened. Now, which part of that chain is the weakest link?

I doubt she would keep any of her magic secret from him, Elliot was willing to share stuff about his abilities, she should have been fine with sharing stuff about her.

I still refuse to believe Ashley has a hidden agenda for dating Elliot.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Quite the contrary. She would DEFINITELY be telling Liz and would tell lot of details ... about the parts which were already on news, so she can be sure she's not betraying anyone. Similarly how she immediatelly told Liz she has date, but not telling her that Elliot can transform.

I agree it'll be hard for Ashley to "play dumb" about what happened in the mall, but she can still limit how much she says, she can even just say "I'm sorry, but it's not right for me to say more".

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I agree it'll be hard for Ashley to "play dumb" about what happened in the mall, but she can still limit how much she says, she can even just say "I'm sorry, but it's not right for me to say more".

It would be hard and against her character.

And yes, I was saying she will limit herself. The first limit will actually be that she will want to talk about her date - so, second half of universe would be unlikely to be mentioned, whereas what they did in the store's changing area WILL be probably mentioned.

(Or ... well, maybe she will say "we went into the changing area" and blush so much Liz wouldn't need to ask about details.)

She will definitely try to not betray anyone, but she didn't exactly get explanation about what informations are dangerous (unless Ellen told her while waiting for Elliot or something), so she MAY tell something she shouldn't ...

(Of course ... if LIZ was marked by Pandora, that could change a lot.)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Heh.  I was just thinking, "Oh, look, 11pm, not long now before we find out that Liz was marked and Dan is a great big tease!"

16 hours ago, Drachefly said:

It is possible to shoot a good space battle without having exploding panels, but you need to do it right.

Well, they did have exploding panels in Star Wars: A New Hope, but possibly that may be forgiven as it was generally caused by the whole X-Wing or Tie Fighter exploding.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Meddling teenagers? Nanase and Ellen are local celebrities, she MAY mention she met them, but probably without mentioning they have magic.

Yeah, it's also reasonably-public knowledge that Ellen and Elliot are siblings, so getting to meet Ellen and Nanase now that she's associating with Elliot is not too big of a surprise . . .

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Heh.  I was just thinking, "Oh, look, 11pm, not long now before we find out that Liz was marked and Dan is a great big tease!"

Heh. We will only find out next Friday.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Meddling teenagers? Nanase and Ellen are local celebrities, she MAY mention she met them, but probably without mentioning they have magic.

Yeah, it's also reasonably-public knowledge that Ellen and Elliot are siblings, so getting to meet Ellen and Nanase now that she's associating with Elliot is not too big of a surprise . . .

Of course.