• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

What Are You Doing Right Now?

Just getting back from a new (yet another new) sleep doc.  I actually have some hopes for this one-- he didn't suggest yet another sleep study to see if I have apnea (I do, the CPAP handles it, can we move on?), nor try to prescribe the latest, greatest, new sleeping pill.  Instead, he actually listened to what I had to say, described the course of therapy he recommends, and gave me some homework in the form of a sleep diary.

This might actually work.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Just getting back from a new (yet another new) sleep doc.  I actually have some hopes for this one-- he didn't suggest yet another sleep study to see if I have apnea (I do, the CPAP handles it, can we move on?), nor try to prescribe the latest, greatest, new sleeping pill.  Instead, he actually listened to what I had to say, described the course of therapy he recommends, and gave me some homework in the form of a sleep diary.

This might actually work.

Sounds good.  It's always good to have a doctor listen to you, as apposed to him just talking at you.  That's one reason I like my shrink.  He takes what I say seriously and that is rare in shrinks.  When I say "drug X isn't working because Y" he finds another option.  He also is aware of my finances so offers therapies that might have a short term issue but save me several hundred bucks.

Granted one of those short term issues resulted in a cracked rib and a broken knuckle bone, but he did warn me and talk to me about what could happen.   Granted he did talk more about manic episodes and less about total loss of balance, but it was brought up.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sounds good.  It's always good to have a doctor listen to you, as apposed to him just talking at you.  That's one reason I like my shrink.  He takes what I say seriously and that is rare in shrinks.

My psychiatrist put it beautifully. She said, "Your doctor is an expert on medicine and treatment. You are an expert on yourself." Indicating that a good doctor or psychiatrist is aware that getting a patient better can be a team effort.

Right now I'm torn with indecision.  I know exactly what I want to write, and the chapter orders, but I can't decide on what to start on first.  I tried start and 0 and work my way up the chain and that failed.  So I've asked my editor what she wants to edit first.  Keep in mind this is table top role playing rules, so it's sort of modular.  They can be written in more or less any order.

0) Basic "what is a role playing game", and glossary of terms used in
this game.  Dry, more like a dictionary.  Also cut and pasted from
several sources, TBH
1) Pure fluff about the back ground.  This will need to be edited like
it was fiction.  Virtual smacking of hand with ruler may be needed.
2) Very nuts and bolts1 tables and check lists about creating your
character and their pre adventuring  careers.  Their old job so to
speak.
3) Nuts and bolts tables, and paragraphs of fluff about stuff to buy,
ranging from food to plasma guns.
4) Semi nuts and bolts, but with fluff attached list of skills and how
to use them.
5) Slightly fluffy, but with nuts and bolts stuff about classes.
Classes are what you do after you start being an adventurer.
6 [or maybe between 9 and 10]) Nuts and bolty, with minimal fluff
about combat on the ground.
7) Very fluffy, but with a side dish of nuts and bolts about spells
8) Even fluffier, but still with some nuts and bolts about monsters
9) extremely nuts and bolty about how to design space ships and vehicles
10) Near MIT level nuts and bolts about space combat.  Explaining how
to easily do analog version of vector math on a plane will be a big
part of it.
11) Almost as nuts and bolty as 9 about designing worlds and the
things that live on them.

1Nuts and bolts = Crunchy rules sort of stuff.

This editor sucks when it comes to converting blocks of text to numbered lists.  Also how it handles <span> tags is sub optimal.

Attempting to install 4 slightly older version of Adobe products.

I keep forgetting how much Adobe and Apple really freaking hate each other now.

Seriously about a word press script to post to my wall on face book, and scan for select hashtags at post here.  I strongly suspect this may be more trouble than it's worth.  Posting to Facebook and Tumblr is a built in feature, but I'm not sure that the forum has the API to do so.   I may create an off topic "poking with sticks" thread for testing.

Unless The Old Hack or his cow orkers say "please don't do that.

Playing my favorite monthly game "waiting on midnight before the 3rd".

Which is followed by some what lesser favorites like "pay the rent and bills"

On 02/08/2016 at 6:19 AM, mlooney said:

Seriously about a word press script to post to my wall on face book, and scan for select hashtags at post here.  I strongly suspect this may be more trouble than it's worth.  Posting to Facebook and Tumblr is a built in feature, but I'm not sure that the forum has the API to do so.   I may create an off topic "poking with sticks" thread for testing.

Unless The Old Hack or his cow orkers say "please don't do that.

Related note: I do have something I have been working on which is a package and command-line app, in Python 2, for reading a variant of Markdown (Read: basic Markdown features, some features seen elsewhere, plus pretty much anything else I wanted to add - much of which can be disabled with parser flags) and outputting to HTML (fragment or document depending on writer flags), BBCode, MediaWiki and TVTropes wikitexts, and a (more) orthodox Markdown.  There is even an HTML writer flag attempting spoilers compatible with this forum, added post-crash.

If you gain the ability to script posting to the forum, these could go together to some extent…

5 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Related note: I do have something I have been working on which is a package and command-line app, in Python 2, for reading a variant of Markdown (Read: basic Markdown features, some features seen elsewhere, plus pretty much anything else I wanted to add - much of which can be disabled with parser flags) and outputting to HTML (fragment or document depending on writer flags), BBCode, MediaWiki and TVTropes wikitexts, and a (more) orthodox Markdown.  There is even an HTML writer flag attempting spoilers compatible with this forum, added post-crash.

If you gain the ability to script posting to the forum, these could go together to some extent…

Are you aware of Pandoc?  I would directly link to their page, but it seems to not be loading right now.
Ah, the
GitHub version is.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Are you aware of Pandoc?  I would directly link to their page, but it seems to not be loading right now.
Ah, the
GitHub version is.

Hmm… I'm not especially versed with Haskell.  I was aware of Pandoc's existence, but I was initially writing for the very niche MD-to-BBCode case (which it doesn't list supporting). 

My more recent additions are along the lines of Emoji and emoticon conveniences (this is why I came up with a Demonic Duck PUA encoding) and on Rubi markup, Japanese Kana from romanisation, and Chinese character from Cangjie features.

….as I mentioned, I have HTML output flags specific to this forum (I worked on that following the BBCode writer ceasing to be useful due to The Crash).

But while we're here:

8 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Edit: oh my actual…

Going to do an early crash and burn. Last night and this morning has wound me up way to tight.

• F*ck EPPIC ACS
  • F*ck Cox Cable
  • F*ck City of Tulsa Water Department
  • F*ck Conservice.
  • F*ck PSO

Of all the people I've had to deal with over the last 12 hours, only the lady at EMSA seem to have a clue. But I've got to wait for snail mail to see if that is the case.

Fun fact, the dirty word censor is gone. Opps

Giving serious thought to another 4 or 5 hour nape, followed by actually going to bed for the night.  I can still feel the sleep aid making me groggy.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: Again, please don't.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Oops - forgot about this. Been spending too much time on Scribophile. My apologies.

I did give permission to edit with great force, but in the grammar thread.  No bad feelings all around.