• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

What Are You Doing Right Now?

Still alive just sort of computer less.   Facebook and forums are a pain on a tablet,  and my real computer is in my new apartment.  I will be back as an active gadfly starting in a week or ten days.

J.  Michael Looney

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Still alive just sort of computer less.   Facebook and forums are a pain on a tablet,  and my real computer is in my new apartment.  I will be back as an active gadfly starting in a week or ten days.

J.  Michael Looney

Good to hear, and we'll be glad to have you back!

13 minutes ago, mlooney said:

J.  Michael Looney

We'll hang on to the best puns for ya. ;)

I'm currently at the Shadows Over Innistrad prerelease, sitting on a 2-1 record with one round left to go. I'm already guaranteed 2 prize packs, but a win in the fourth round will bump that up to 9 or 10.

2 hours ago, Howitzer said:

I'm currently at the Shadows Over Innistrad prerelease, sitting on a 2-1 record with one round left to go. I'm already guaranteed 2 prize packs, but a win in the fourth round will bump that up to 9 or 10.

Watch out for the pink (or purple) haired kid who may or may not be female. ;)

On April 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Howitzer said:

Speaking of "Shadow's Over Innistrad", has anyone else noticed?

Large numbers of Vampire and Werewolf cards... a transformation mechanic for the Werewolves...?

Somebody at Wizards must be a fan.

10 hours ago, Christopher28 said:

Speaking of "Shadow's Over Innistrad", has anyone else noticed?

Large numbers of Vampire and Werewolf cards... a transformation mechanic for the Werewolves...?

Somebody at Wizards must be a fan.

It's a sequel to the first Innistrad block, which had all the same transformation mechanics, and came out in 2011. Dan's magic tournament storyline was based on that, not the other way around.

The first Innistrad set was also the most popular set Wizards of the Coast has ever done, so OF COURSE they were going to to a sequel eventually.

Waiting for some sort of resolution to the screw-ups perpetrated by the siding contractor. One of the higher-ups in the company is parked outside our house, waiting for the site foreman to arrive. He's been given a tour. Here's hoping he calls the foreman on the carpet for the mistakes, then orders said foreman to fix them.

Waiting for smegging Windows Update to finish finding updates for my system. It got hung earlier on 0% when trying to download updates, so I blew out the cache and made it start over. I don't care if it takes all day, as long as it eventually finishes. I'm still using my machine while the check runs.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm still using my machine while the check runs.

This right here? probably a bad idea. I don't know why but microsoft seems to assume that users will just drop everything for an update. The only times I've had one NOT get stuck involved leaving the machine idle for several hours while the updates ran. 

Well, it finished, but not without some prodding. I shut it down again, ran CCleaner on my system, rebooted, and ran Windows Update again. It finally installed its stuff, but not on the first try. Had to reboot and re-run again before it'd successfully install everything.

Just finished reading When Titans Clashed by David M. Glantz and Jonathan House. It's kind of a breeze through the history of WW2 on the Eastern Front at only 400 odd pages, but the bird's eye view helps maintain context. Been reading it partly for my own intellectual curiosity, as it is one of the first Western histories of that theater to have access to declassified Soviet archives, but it's also related to one of my own projects. I've been drawing inspiration from that awful conflict for a sci fi novel series I've been working on.

30 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Waiting to see whether or not someone is going to try and seriously screw me over.

Uh oh....that doesn't sound good.  I sincerely hope your misgivings are misplaced, and/or that the arbitrator/judge/other authority sees it your way quickly.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Uh oh....that doesn't sound good.  I sincerely hope your misgivings are misplaced, and/or that the arbitrator/judge/other authority sees it your way quickly.

Seconded. Stiff upper lip and all that, Prof. We're behind you here. Take good care of yourself, Mrs. Prof and the cats.

On 4/18/2016 at 0:30 PM, CritterKeeper said:

On 4/18/2016 at 0:34 PM, The Old Hack said:

Seconded. Stiff upper lip and all that, Prof. We're behind you here. Take good care of yourself, Mrs. Prof and the cats.

I never did supply an update to this, did I? Well, I didn't get seriously screwed over. There was a miscommunication, which was resolved to the benefit of both parties.

New topic: I'm transferring—very slowly—files from my old laptop to my new one. Damned crawling WiFi transfers. I'd use a thumb drive, but I don't have a spare one with 89 GB free on it.

Staring to put words, well not on paper, but on disk, for Project X (aka Project [redacted]) and having the same problem.  That first blank page makes my brain freeze up.  Have the same problem with programming in that  "int main(int argc, char** argv)"  (or it's non c equivalent) is the hardest function to write.

Given that I'm writing crunch (i.e. rules) first not fluff, I think I'm going to liberally steal from the SF source I'm using to kick start my brain.   That's the nice thing about stuff released under either the Open Gaming License or the Creative Commons license (assuming they don't slap some of odder modifiers to it) you can do that legally.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Just remember, you can always go back and file off the serial numbers later.  If making liberal use of prior works helps get you started, go for it!

Given that Project X is more or less taking 2 existing RPG and making one unified one out of them, liberal use of prior works is putting it lightly.  That's the great thing about the Open Game License, is that it's legal to do just that.  I suspect when I'm done about 30% of the project is going to be word for word from one of the two "system reference documents"

Fun legal note. In the US you can't copy right game rules, only the exact expression of the rules.  What Wizards of the Coast did, in creating the Open Game License, is give 3rd party developers an option to use the exact expression of the rules and be in a "safe harbor" and not worry about having their ass sued off.

Testing a theory about edit mode.

And I was right.  Select black as your text color, not automatic, and poof you can see your text.  I has a happy!

Edited by mlooney
Found a fix!