• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Friday August 19, 2016

5 hours ago, Darkxemjas said:

On a side note, it's good to know that Pandora's more of a neutral person.... I need to explain more.....

She's not entirely Good, but she's also not Evil either. Just someone in between the two, with bigger goals in mind.

The only times she has expressed intent to harm someone, the target was someone who had hurt FAMILY.

I'd say she leans slightly toward Good... and heavily toward Chaotic. According to the backstory pages, in her pranking days she did trade value for the entertainment her pranks provided. Overall I'd rate her as a benevolent trickster...

... of course, at the time, the target of a benevolent trickster may not recognize the benevolence...

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

But then that raises the question of why it took him seven months to make his second attempt, given that Elliot's death was apparently a high enough priority to him that he wouldn't likely wait that long without trying anything.

He's an immortal; he has time.

Why did I fail to notice this the first time.

At the time we read about the battle with Tara, there was a fair amount of speculation (wishful thinking) that "Elliot Dunkel is The-Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed-Super-Heroine" would not be reported beyond the mall.

How often do comic books or cartoons make "Secret Identity Cover Up" a story?  In my experience, these stories almost always feel like a wasted issue or episode.  If we have learned anything from the news coverage of scandals, creating elaborate lies to cover up what has been discovered only makes it worse you.

I hope Dan has the characters deal with the exposure rather than try to deny it.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Recent NP comics tell us that it is not unusual for Pandora to sleep for a week at a time.
http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=491

But this comic tells us that she took more than one nap between Friday night and Sunday morning.

I am compelled to ask the question.

When does a mad demigoddess sleep?

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Whenever she wants, for however long she wants apparently.

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Whenever she wants to. Do you want to try to wake her up? And who are you calling a demigoddess?

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

The Colonel's spider-sense should be going off about now.  he's in big danger of being fried...

Think popcorn chicken.

Actually, Elliot getting his cover blown isn't a big deal (except for Elliot.) Arthur J. Arthur has already set up an out: "I just got powers, I don't know how. No, Mr. Wolf, I am not an alien..."

The much bigger cat let out of the bag at the mall was the revelation of Immortals. So far all we can be sure anyone in the crowd heard was "Elliot Dunkel" but we haven't heard any of the interviews yet. Anyone want odds on us catching part of Carol Brown's latest interviews of Rhonda (no, it's Rhoda) and Catalina pretty soon? Do you think Carol will remember that both of these girls were around when major weirdness (bloodgrem at Moperville North, floating girl at Moperville South, megapig...)

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

The much bigger cat let out of the bag at the mall was the revelation of Immortals. So far all we can be sure anyone in the crowd heard was "Elliot Dunkel" but we haven't heard any of the interviews yet. Anyone want odds on us catching part of Carol Brown's latest interviews of Rhonda (no, it's Rhoda) and Catalina pretty soon? Do you think Carol will remember that both of these girls were around when major weirdness (bloodgrem at Moperville North, floating girl at Moperville South, megapig...)

Disco Wizard says his only source of info is what he saw on the television news, and he explicitly mentions three immortals. Tentative conclusion: the television news mentioned three immortals. Alternative: DW lied about how limited his sources of information are - but not necessarily about how limited his information is.

16 hours ago, animalia said:
18 hours ago, ijuin said:

From Pandora's reaction in the second panel, I think that we can safely assume that she has an interest in the welfare of Tedd's friends, if for no greater reason than because they are his friends and allies.

I wonder why the line was cut short though? Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I can't help but wonder if she was gonna say soulmate. Hear me out. In every universe we've seen but one Elliot and Tedd have been together, in universes where Elliot was a woman they were also dating. Finally, that one universe without Elliot, that is the one with LORD Tedd. All of this seems to imply that Elliot is a central figure in Tedd's life, perhaps even mire so then Grace.

"Soulmate" would be generic. She might say something else. Protector. Balance. Anchor (as in "keeping Tedd anchored to reality").

... or it was really just to not tell the name.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, if Elliot were Tedd's soul mate (and come to think of it, that might have been a motivator for giving Elliot a girly transformation via the whole "Sister" plot), then I would have expected that Pandora would be trying to play matchmaker for them a bit . . .

She has no problem with Grace. Apparently, Elliot's role doesn't REQUIRE them to be in sexual relationship. It DOES require them to be close, though ... and the "Sister" plot might've been just to keep them close. Or to give Elliot magic.

16 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:
19 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Trouble is, Voltaire can always just vanish so that Pandora can't sense him.  She's got to figure out a way to get her hands on him without warning.

People have been speculating about Edward being Disco Wizard, which triggered me wondering....how the heck has Elliot not gotten a call from Edward the minute word of the incident at the mall got out??

In the comic, we have only seen a short amount of time from Elliot's point of view since he was outed. The last time we saw Elliot, it probably hadn't hit the news yet. I imagine that Edward did call Elliot, though, before the two of them turned if for the night.

It probably did, but Edward is not watching news all the time. Or he may be busy with something. But I agree, he will want to talk with Elliot just as he finishes talking Arthur Arthur out of imprisoning him.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

For the rest, if Pandora does care about the well being of Tedd's friends, then that seems to throw a wrench in the idea that Pandora was behind the bulldog dragon. Unless she knew that it wouldn't kill Cheerleadra.

Grace was there as well. Also, she had good reason to not hurt Noah either. It's possible she predicted Grace will be quick enough, but still, why that fireball?

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So Pandora pops into the security office of the mall, distracts the staff into leaving the room, and watches the security camera footage from last night.
She may recognize Voltaire and/or Les Immortels.  She will be impressed by Ashley.  She could have a few choice words about mall security.

Or is that too reasonable?

She MIGHT just get all the informations directly from air. Or, like, watch the news.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

But I think it's more likely that a secondary motivation for the creation of an Ellen in the Moperverse was to create a version of Elliot that would be acceptable to Nanase while retaining the original male Elliot for Tedd. And who could think this far ahead?

Pandora could.

... that's actually pretty likely. She might be indirectly helping the main eight form.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Try this one on for size: Pandora arranged for Magus to be evicted from his own universe into her son's and her great godson Tedd's the same year Nanase and Susan went to France. Helen and Demetrius were following Nanase at that time--Helen almost says this at one point--and Pandora sets them up so that Nanase gets awakened. And Pandora diddles them into followng Elliot during or right after their reset. Why? Nanase has to already be awakened for the showdown with Abraham.

Gee, it's almost like pretty much everyone is Pandora's catspaw, doesn't it, even a couple of younger Immortals.

That's little wilder, but still possible ...

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

At the time we read about the battle with Tara, there was a fair amount of speculation (wishful thinking) that "Elliot Dunkel is The-Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed-Super-Heroine" would not be reported beyond the mall.

How often do comic books or cartoons make "Secret Identity Cover Up" a story?  In my experience, these stories almost always feel like a wasted issue or episode.  If we have learned anything from the news coverage of scandals, creating elaborate lies to cover up what has been discovered only makes it worse you.

I hope Dan has the characters deal with the exposure rather than try to deny it.

It would certainly be more interesting. On the other hand, it IS surprising twist.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually, Elliot getting his cover blown isn't a big deal (except for Elliot.) Arthur J. Arthur has already set up an out: "I just got powers, I don't know how. No, Mr. Wolf, I am not an alien..."

Mr. Wolf likely already read the complete file DGB has on Elliot, 2nd January if not sooner.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Disco Wizard says his only source of info is what he saw on the television news, and he explicitly mentions three immortals. Tentative conclusion: the television news mentioned three immortals.

The television news mentioned - or SHOWN - enough for anyone who knows about immortals that there were three immortals. It's still not certain how much will someone who DON'T know about immortals will get from that.

And most important question: will "Empower and Guide" be mentioned?

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And most important question: will "Empower and Guide" be mentioned?

I doubt any of the crowd would pick up on a detail like that--unless maybe one of the interviewees is Luke or one of the other meddling college students investigating magical wierdness. But Carol or any other imaginable reporter would be much more interested in Cheerleadra and "Elliot Dunkel".

Which brings up the question, did Carol remember that Elliot is/was Sarah's boyfriend? If so, Carol could well step up from occasional stints as comic relief (I believe the Demonic Duck has made more appearances.) Carol might even have a crisis of conscience about dragging her little sister into this uproar.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I doubt any of the crowd would pick up on a detail like that--unless maybe one of the interviewees is Luke or one of the other meddling college students investigating magical wierdness. But Carol or any other imaginable reporter would be much more interested in Cheerleadra and "Elliot Dunkel".

Camera phones. AND security footage from mall. If that part will get to news, it doesn't matter if Carol considers it important - it will be in wild and ANYONE might be picking that. (Including Luke if he wasn't there.)

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which brings up the question, did Carol remember that Elliot is/was Sarah's boyfriend? If so, Carol could well step up from occasional stints as comic relief (I believe the Demonic Duck has made more appearances.)

While the fact she's Sarah's sister was only comic relief so far, her role as reporter was more important than Demonic Duck.

20 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Carol might even have a crisis of conscience about dragging her little sister into this uproar.

Carol: "Uh, Sarah, do you still date Elliot Dunkel?"

Sarah: "No, why?"

Carol: "Good. Because it seems he will be in problems."

Sarah: "Hey, we're still friends!"

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The Shive may have made Carol Brown Sarah's sister with this arc in mind. Hey, it is called Sister III, so it would fit in the theme.

Shive made Carol Brown Sarah's sister at readers request. Well ... readers said they would like that and Shive said "why not". It wasn't originally planned, that's why Elliot didn't recognized her.

Of course, this arc might've been done with Carol Brown being Sarah's sister in mind.

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If it wasn't for the Demonic Duck paying his tab...

Then what?

Justin couldn't get pregnant so quickly after transformation, so what's the worst which could've happened? Those two being more awkward around each other? Justin getting different spell? Susan being awakened sooner? I think at current point of the story, it would already be irrelevant.

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Gee, it's almost like pretty much everyone is Pandora's catspaw, doesn't it, even a couple of younger Immortals.

Personally I can't help but wonder if Pandora will turn out to be a catspaw herself

1 hour ago, animalia said:

Personally I can't help but wonder if Pandora will turn out to be a catspaw herself

Considering that Sirleck is behind Pandora on the title page, that seems possible. Of course, Sirleck has been set up as a catspaw of Voltaire's.

there was discussion earlier in the thread about Pandora's alignment. Frankly, I put her as Well-Intentioned Extremist ( warning- TV Tropes link) - she has good intentions, but because she hasn't reset in far too long, she has become increasingly insane by both human and Immortal standards. ( and that's legal insanity, by the way- she meets the test of "operating under such a defect of reason that she fails to understand the severity of her acts" as well as possibly "or fails to understand the criminality of her acts" so legally, she would be confined for medical treatment- which could include a forcible reset- rather than convicted of a crime.)

Frankly, I stand by what I said earlier in the arc- Pandora needs to be persuaded to go through a proper Immortal death, since that would reset her back to being a good person. Clean up the damage she has caused as much as possible, then reset. ( if she properly resets, judging by Jerry, she could even be useful to the cast in future.)

As I said earlier in the arc, I think Pandora resetting may be the climax of this arc. It makes sense story-wise. Exactly how she would do it is up to The Shive, but given that Voltaire outed Adrian to Sirleck, I think what Voltaire has in mind is that Sirleck kills Adrian which makes Pandora rampage.

One trope which might be awesome is the one from the climax of the third season of Sailor Moon: Pandora comes back as an infant or a small child.

6 hours ago, sstabeler said:

she would be confined for medical treatment- which could include a forcible reset- rather than convicted of a crime.

I know a reset is likely the only thing that will cure Pandora's madness, but I still find it unsettling for it to be referred to as medical treatment, since resetting for an Immortal is their equivalent of death.

To be completely honest, I find Pandora to be no more unstable than the people I deal with every day at work. She's eccentric, sure, but I've always found sanity to be relative.

Just now, Arcanimus said:

To be completely honest, I find Pandora to be no more unstable than the people I deal with every day at work. She's eccentric, sure, but I've always found sanity to be relative.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dan's built all this up making us think that Jerry's description of what could happen if an Immortal gets too bored and powerful is referring to Pandora, when it's probably Voltaire that's the insane one.