• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP, Friday August 19, 2016

So what else about Ashley? Why did The Shive show us Ashley, giving her two strips? Okay, Rich and Larry got two, but that's still only one apiece. Surely not merely to show us Liz with huge bazooms. That's what's the sketchbook is for!

Say, does this mean Ashley has been crushing on Liz?

Just now, Aura Guardian said:

I hope she does get a mark, just not of those spells.

I'd vote for it, but the Moperverse is not a democracy; The Shive rules.

Still, we can say our pieces here. And I'll get over my disappointment over having my splendid theory about Ashley having hidden power shot down. Any day now.

Any ideas about a different spell Ashley could be granted? Has to be appropriate. Somehow.

Magically enhanced intuition? It might fit, provided she doesn't get it before the time she was dating Bad Tom.

50 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

So what else about Ashley? Why did The Shive show us Ashley, giving her two strips?

BECAUSE he wanted to show she's really that good.

50 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unlikely. Not sure how monogamous she is with partners, but she certainly wouldn't be mono with targets for transformations. Liz would just end up as target for being near.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'd vote for it, but the Moperverse is not a democracy; The Shive rules.

That doesn't mean you can't vote. Only that your vote wouldn't mean anything. Which isn't THAT much different from democracy ...

53 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Any ideas about a different spell Ashley could be granted? Has to be appropriate. Somehow.

Magically enhanced intuition? It might fit, provided she doesn't get it before the time she was dating Bad Tom.

I already said: the ability to get answers to her questions without asking them.

So, she is Tedd, but without or with minimal science?

Now I want both of them to get all zap-crazy at Tedd's lab (with Elliot's discretion, of course).

5 minutes ago, Stature said:

... I think Tedd is not nearly as good.

Also, without TF Gun and his dangerous rarity (possibly both), Tedd wouldn't get far with his science.

And finally, Tedd is most interested in transforming HIMSELF. Ashley seem to be most interested in transforming OTHERS.

21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd has expressed the exact same desire to go on Transforming Rampages in the past, and he's even given the same reason why not.  Given that Tedd actually *has* the power to transform others, and has for years, and has refrained from doing so, tells me that Tedd is a good guy.

7 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd has expressed the exact same desire to go on Transforming Rampages in the past, and he's even given the same reason why not.  Given that Tedd actually *has* the power to transform others, and has for years, and has refrained from doing so, tells me that Tedd is a good guy.

He is good. But not "I'm not even able to mark him with that" good. I suspect it took him some strength of will to not go on that rampage, AND the fact Edward certainly warned him from that helped. Meanwhile, Ashley wouldn't even consider the possibility she would do that.

He was THIS CLOSE to transform Tony.

Case in point, he WAS marked with spell allowing him to transform others.

Ashley's desires regarding transformations currently run to involuntarily transforming others, for various good or bad reasons.

I suspect that if Pandora wants to Mark Ashley, all she has to do is be present when Ashley finds out about Sam.  That would be a completely altruistic reason to want to be able to transform others.  At the moment of most wishing she could do something to help him, Pandora could probably give her that power.

I suspect the reason Pandora was able to give Tedd a Mark that allows him to transform others, is because he can so deeply understand why someone might *want* to be transformed.  He already knows better than to transform someone else against their will, but he is also experienced enough with transformations to know that it wouldn't necessarily be against someone's will.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unlikely. Not sure how monogamous she is with partners, but she certainly wouldn't be mono with targets for transformations. Liz would just end up as target for being near.

We're not sure if Liz still has her poser boyfriend or is single, Liz probably just isn't into girls and so Ashley never bothered asking her out. Still wouldn't stop Ashley from thinking it could be fun to transform her that way if there was no risk of backlash.

2 hours ago, Stature said:

Tedd said so himself that he sees going around transforming people and stuff without consent as harming them and thus wouldn't go on such a spree. Ashley sees it the same way.

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I suspect that if Pandora wants to Mark Ashley, all she has to do is be present when Ashley finds out about Sam.  That would be a completely altruistic reason to want to be able to transform others.  At the moment of most wishing she could do something to help him, Pandora could probably give her that power.

That could be, but it still wouldn't result in any transformation sprees which is really what Pandora wanted.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Stature said:

Tedd said so himself that he sees going around transforming people and stuff without consent as harming them and thus wouldn't go on such a spree.

He also said "I know I would go on a zapping rampage if it there weren't any consequences" :)

Ok, the difference may not be as big, but still, I think for Tedd it's harder to be good.

Also, to touch the point mentioned in the story thread ... it's possible he's this good only because of Elliot's influence (and/or Grace). Without them, he might end up as Lord Tedd. Ashley is naturally that good and doesn't need any help with that.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

We're not sure if Liz still has her poser boyfriend or is single, Liz probably just isn't into girls and so Ashley never bothered asking her out. Still wouldn't stop Ashley from thinking it could be fun to transform her that way if there was no risk of backlash.

My point was wanting to transform someone - even with "sexy" form - isn't the same as having crush on her.

22 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I suspect the reason Pandora was able to give Tedd a Mark that allows him to transform others, is because he can so deeply understand why someone might *want* to be transformed.  He already knows better than to transform someone else against their will, but he is also experienced enough with transformations to know that it wouldn't necessarily be against someone's will.

Yes, that's possible.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That could be, but it still wouldn't result in any transformation sprees which is really what Pandora wanted.

No, but it could still result in SOME chaos. Like someone noticing the transformation. Of course, after today, Pandora will likely not be THAT eager to mark her ... in fact, Ashley might end up without mark after all ...

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He also said "I know I would go on a zapping rampage if it there weren't any consequences" :)

The fact that he said that means he has a conscience that going on a zapping rampage would be wrong, Ashley would also have such a conscience saying it's wrong. They both have fantasies about it, they just won't act on them.

Sigh.  I'm really disappointed in this...but not surprised. 

Early in EGS, everyone speculated that Dan was Grace.  I still think that has truth to it.  Ashley is another aspect of Dan in my opinion.  Dan likes the sorts of things that Ashley does - but also feels it would be wrong to do them.  Sadly that means that Ashley (most likely...I still have hope) will not get a spell.

It makes me wish that there were a darker version of Pandora about, handing out powers.  It would be interesting (at least to me) to see Ashley have such abilities and struggle not to use them for selfish/immoral purposes. 

4 minutes ago, Circe said:

Sigh.  I'm really disappointed in this...but not surprised. 

Early in EGS, everyone speculated that Dan was Grace.  I still think that has truth to it.  Ashley is another aspect of Dan in my opinion.  Dan likes the sorts of things that Ashley does - but also feels it would be wrong to do them.  Sadly that means that Ashley (most likely...I still have hope) will not get a spell.

It makes me wish that there were a darker version of Pandora about, handing out powers.  It would be interesting (at least to me) to see Ashley have such abilities and struggle not to use them for selfish/immoral purposes. 

Sorry, I tried to edit this post but I kept getting blank text in the editor.

Anyway after reading Dan's commentary I need to remove the "I still have hope" part since he intends to emphasize that Pandora cannot mark Ashley in the next NP.

Maybe someday we can have an evil version of Ashley running around Moperville on a TF rampage....a girl can hope can't she? :) 

41 minutes ago, Circe said:

Sorry, I tried to edit this post but I kept getting blank text in the editor.

A bit of poor configuration. In writing or displaying a message, the default text color is black; in editing, it's white. BRILLIANT!

Best fix I know of: Go ahead and edit. Click in the message. Hit ctrl-A. In the bar of icons for editing, click the underlined A on the far right and change the text color from "automatic" to the black at the left of the second row (or some other color if you prefer - anything but "automatic".) If in the course of your editing it manages to change new typing back to "automatic", hit ctrl-A and change the color again.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Nah, she could want to transform her that way just because she'd find it hot (finding someone hot/attractive/cute is not the same as crushing on them). Or just to see what it'd look like on her. Or because there's an inside joke between the two of them about something like that. Or because the gods of curling demanded it.

7 hours ago, Circe said:

I would think that kind of behaviour from Pandora would get her reset by other Immortals pretty quickly.

What she's doing there may be bending the rules, but she's still able to give people marks because it's something they would yearn for are likely to use, her method of questioning is basically getting their permission to mark them. In Ashley's case, and to an extent Sarah's case back in Hammerchlorians, their goodness and maturity negated any fun they could have with the spell. Pandora could in theory still give Ashley the spell, but it would very likely fall under breaking the "empower and guide" rule.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, Circe said:

I would think that kind of behaviour from Pandora would get her reset by other Immortals pretty quickly.

What she's doing there may be bending the rules, but she's still able to give people marks because it's something they would yearn for are likely to use, her method of questioning is basically getting their permission to mark them. In Ashley's case, and to an extent Sarah's case back in Hammerchlorians, their goodness and maturity negated any fun they could have with the spell. Pandora could in theory still give Ashley the spell, but it would very likely fall under breaking the "empower and guide" rule.

No, Jerry didn't mark Sarah not because he didn't want to, but because he couldn't. He stated, on the page you linked, "You've realized things that negate what would have allowed me to give you the spell in the first place." Also, he wasn't looking for fun (though that certainly would have been a plus), he was trying to be helpful. If Jerry could have given Sarah that spell, she could have used it a lot and eventually been able to awaken and potentially get cool, awesome, useful spells, but he couldn't because she realized things that caused her to grow a little as a person, which unfortunately negated her potential for that spell. A person's growth and maturity can significantly influence what spells the person can be given by an Immortal. The Immortal doesn't get to choose what spell a person can get and for many may not even be able to give the person a spell. They just get to choose whether or not they want to grant the spell that the person might be able to receive.