• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Xenophon Hendrix

Opinion and Suggestion About Avatars

4 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I find it much easier to remember who is who when posters use avatars. I assume I'm not alone in this. Please consider using an avatar. If you can't decide what to use, even an abstract shape makes things much easier. Thank you.

Agreed. For instance, I can't remember what your original name was, but I recognize that avatar image for sure. (I also enjoy having avatar threads in order to post previous avys to keep track of the changes people have made over the years).

I think availability, preferability, and "aesthetic" holds some people back from posting an avatar.

Though I so agree on this too. Even IRL I know people more by face so I then can call their name.

3 minutes ago, Stature said:

I think availability, preferability, and "aesthetic" holds some people back from posting an avatar.

Though I so agree on this too. Even IRL I know people more by face so I then can call their name.

Oh, I totally understand that. I tend to use avys I've made myself for that reason. For help with finding appropriate avatars, I do like how Gunnerkrigg Court's forums have an Avatar thread where people will take images from the comic and crop them into avy form. (Gunnerkrigg Forum Thread) It's nice for people to be able to pick like that.

And yeah, I know the vast majority of people by faces, not names. I'm just really bad at remembering them. Takes months of knowing a person to really lock in their name. Forums make it even harder, so I rely on Avatars mostly. (I was constantly getting @HarJIT and @hkmaly mixed up until the former got an avatar, for instance. I believe I actively replied to one when meaning to reply to the other once, even).

2 hours ago, Matoyak said:

I do like how Gunnerkrigg Court's forums have an Avatar thread where people will take images from the comic and crop them into avy form. (Gunnerkrigg Forum Thread) It's nice for people to be able to pick like that.

I think @ProfessorTomoe was doing that in the old forum? I think I remember getting my old avatar from a thread he made about it. Might be mistaking him with another user, though.

1 minute ago, exterminator said:

I think @ProfessorTomoe was doing that in the old forum? I think I remember getting my old avatar from a thread he made about it. Might be mistaking him with another user, though.

No, the good Professor did indeed create a lot of avatars in the old days. He made mine, too, in fact. I am using the current one as a stopgap while waiting for his response to my piteous pleas for help.

Personally, forums avatars can change based on the person's interests and mood "Hey this looks good as an avatar."::4 months later:: "Oooh I like this one!" and so I would have preferred people keeping the name they used in the old forums. Names are a more permanent identifier for me.

I tend to use images of the same character, from a somewhat obscure manga, because she looks like me.  Started in college, when people were putting pictures of themselves on their doors.  My roommate's picture was from Battle Angel Alita.  Seems like every time I do an image search after joining a new forum I end up finding a different specific picture, but I can always find something usable.

My avatar is a simple, silly smiley thing that I drew with Paint. I suppose it's kind of my symbol/logo/whatever you want to call it. I've drawn these smileys for years to amuse myself and to annoy others. I call it "the Bearded Smiley", even though it also has spiky hair, horns, ears with earrings, fangs and a tongue sticking out. I don't even remember when I first came up with it, but I've grown so fond of it that I started using it as an avatar.

My avatar is actually one of my OCs that I used to roleplay on the old Mayhem forum (on Keenspot, for those who don't remember it). Leon deCoeur ("Lee" to his friends) was one of my first RP characters.

7 hours ago, exterminator said:

He sort of was. It was more like his own art thread, and most of his art happened to be avatars. The Gunnerkrigg thread has lots of people putting lots of avys in, and it's purely used for avatars.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Personally, forums avatars can change based on the person's interests and mood "Hey this looks good as an avatar."::4 months later:: "Oooh I like this one!" and so I would have preferred people keeping the name they used in the old forums. Names are a more permanent identifier for me.

Which is why I also like having a thread where you put your previous avatar into a post when you change to a new one. I guess since on these boards you can change your name 3 times a month, we could make a thread about "Forum Identity" and any time you change your name or avatar you would make a post with your current name+avy and what they previously were.

4 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I suppose it's kind of my symbol/logo/whatever you want to call it.

Mine's similar, though it's a more recent logo and I've had a few of them throughout my internet life.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Drachefly said:

I find the circular cropping kind of weird. Is there a way to turn that off?

Also, what's the size limit? 80x80?

I must agree.

Before the crash, I was using a snapshot of a turtle in my driveway next to a car tire.  I cleverly titled this picture "Tired Turtle".  As it was a picture I took at my home and the original had the toe of my shoe in the shot, I felt justified in calling it my avatar.

I still have the picture on my hard drive, but the new cropping limits what I can effectively show.  Thus the turtle appears to be all alone now.

On 3/16/2016 at 11:01 PM, Scotty said:

That's a turtle? For my entire time here I thought it was a type of scarab associated with the whole Pharaoh deal. Lol

I've never actually been able to figure out what it was. Just too pixelated, and my brain could never make it out. I see the turtle now.

On 3/16/2016 at 10:51 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I must agree.

Before the crash, I was using a snapshot of a turtle in my driveway next to a car tire.  I cleverly titled this picture "Tired Turtle".  As it was a picture I took at my home and the original had the toe of my shoe in the shot, I felt justified in calling it my avatar.

I still have the picture on my hard drive, but the new cropping limits what I can effectively show.  Thus the turtle appears to be all alone now.

By that logic I should make one of those pictures of animals on my hands my avatar.... Who am I kidding, that was my response to "there should be a picture of you on your facebook" for months