• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Wednesday August 24, 2016

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I still think Ashley Mareep is cuter.

That is for Susan.

Naïveté strikes again. (And again and again)

I feel like it's too bad that Pandora never ran into Ashley between the mall date and swearing off marking.  There probably would've been something she could've given her.

34 minutes ago, WR...S said:

I feel like it's too bad that Pandora never ran into Ashley between the mall date and swearing off marking.  There probably would've been something she could've given her.

Let's see, can we find a way to squeeze it in?  Ashley wouldn't have to know Pandora was there, and Pandora wouldn't have to learn anything about what happened at the mall....perhaps Ashley came by to get something from or give something to Sarah?  Or Carol, for that matter, although I suspect she didn't go back after running off to report at the mall, or Sarah would have heard about it and invisible Pandora would likely have overheard.  Unless she was napping....

Hmm, we also don't know for certain that Sarah never went anywhere between heading to dinner and her conversation with Pandora.  She could have gone to a shop or something, and Pandora saw Ashley going into the shop next door, and broke away just long enough to mark her.  Sarah and Ashley would never need to know they'd been anywhere near each other, it could just be a coincidence.  Or, again, Ashley could have asked Sarah to meet her in order to give or get something, but been in too much of a hurry to explain what had happened.

Yeah, I see plenty of wiggle room here.  ;-)

Haha~! A fire type! That could be construed as wanting pyromancer abilities...

And... There's already been one flamy guy. To do it again would be boring.

Damn. You win this time, random girl who will surely not by pure chance get herself in the social circle of the people I semi-protect!

next tiiiiime!

Ashley wants to transform herself or others, but she knows it would be wrong in most circumstances.  She wants to know about magic, but won't ask anyone to betray their friends by revealing secrets.  She wants to save Elliot, but can't simply take the weapon she needs from an unguarded arsenal.

I think Dan had already defined her overwhelming characteristic, but this is just one more example.

...Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means, at the point of highest reality. A chastity or honesty, or mercy, which yields to danger will be chaste or honest or merciful only on conditions. Pilate was merciful till it became risky.

Uncle Screwtape.

C.S. Lewis

This comic gives me food for thought in regards to time setting/the timeline. Initially it was that this couldn't possibly be set in 2013 (or 2002) anymore because this is October, and I thought Pokemon XY came out in November. 

But it actually came out in early October, so that really makes it being something that'd be in Ashley's immediate thoughts far more likely, since it just came out. I like to imagine that Dan did this on purpose to hint at setting (since the timeline on the wiki gives estimated years, partially due to my input), but who knows how often he actually looks at that thing.

10 hours ago, Wixelt said:

This comic gives me food for thought in regards to time setting/the timeline. Initially it was that this couldn't possibly be set in 2013 (or 2002) anymore because this is October, and I thought Pokemon XY came out in November. 

Ah, but that's only in this universe.  In the EGS universe the pokemon fought in the american civil war.

29 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

Ah, but that's only in this universe.  In the EGS universe the pokemon fought in the american civil war.

...am I missing something here?

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yeah, I see plenty of wiggle room here.  ;-)

I don't think that's plenty. But yes, there ARE possibilities.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

I still think Ashley Mareep is cuter.

Agree. But I generally think older pokemons are better. Like ... they already used cute and most of the new ones are too weird because they need to be different.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Ashley wants to transform herself or others

But seems that she desires transforming others much more.

13 hours ago, Wixelt said:

But it actually came out in early October, so that really makes it being something that'd be in Ashley's immediate thoughts far more likely, since it just came out. I like to imagine that Dan did this on purpose to hint at setting (since the timeline on the wiki gives estimated years, partially due to my input), but who knows how often he actually looks at that thing.

Look at phones. Technology progress in EGS was not exactly realistic ... why would you expect matching dates of games?

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
14 hours ago, Wixelt said:

Look at phones. Technology progress in EGS was not exactly realistic ... why would you expect matching dates of games?

We could just assume that the first cell phones Elliot and Ellen had were cheap basic ones or maybe they were supplied by Edward and then a little later he got them newer ones. He would want to make sure that the phones Tedd's closest friends had were safe. Doesn't really explain Susan's phone, though in her case, just like her getting a job sooner than the others (aside from Justin), she could have got her own phone with the money she made, so it'd make sense if she budgeted herself to a specific type of phone with limited plan. Edward might have upgraded her phone later as well once it became clear she was in the circle.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

We could just assume that the first cell phones Elliot and Ellen had were cheap basic ones or maybe they were supplied by Edward and then a little later he got them newer ones. He would want to make sure that the phones Tedd's closest friends had were safe. Doesn't really explain Susan's phone, though in her case, just like her getting a job sooner than the others (aside from Justin), she could have got her own phone with the money she made, so it'd make sense if she budgeted herself to a specific type of phone with limited plan. Edward might have upgraded her phone later as well once it became clear she was in the circle.

I guess we can. Maybe the technology was there from start and Dunkels were just too poor which Tedd was affected by slow bureaucracy of DGB who just later finally managed to get the security of smartphones high enough. And who knows what Susan chosen just to prove she don't need the phone her mother bought her ...

... but explaining out the dates of videogames in this regard would be even simpler.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think that's plenty. But yes, there ARE possibilities.

If it were enough to drive a truck through, it wouldn't be wiggle room.  ;-)

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Repeat to yourself: "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Ah, but discussing details like this is how many of us relax....

3 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

It's a convention of lots of comics that they are set in the now. You just have to accept the changing technology and pop-culture references as part of your suspension of disbelief.

True, but if it were 'in the now', wouldn't the reference be to Gen 7 Pokemon. That said, Gen 6 wasn't that long ago so it wouldn't be a stretch, but I choose to stand by my own time logic on this matter.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Now?

It's a youtube link.  Not following it.  Lay long odds it to that Damn Movie.

Mel Brooks, he either makes GREAT1 movies or FULL ON FAIL2 movies.   Spaceballs is made of fail, more so than most of his type 2 movies.

1Silent Movie, Blazing Sadles, Young Frankenstein

2Every thing else he made.

41 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's a youtube link.  Not following it.  Lay long odds it to that Damn Movie.

Mel Brooks, he either makes GREAT1 movies or FULL ON FAIL2 movies.   Spaceballs is made of fail, more so than most of his type 2 movies.

I largely agree. Spaceballs was dire in a lot of ways, but it is still a guilty pleasure of mine because it so mercilessly pokes fun at sci fi movies I love.

However, I would add 'To Be or not To Be' to your list above. His version of it is not as good as the original, but this is in part because the original was so utterly marvelous and Brooks' version was merely very good.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Did you forget about The Producers, Prince Myshkin?