• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

STORY: Wednesday March 9, 2016

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Alternate IDs, extremely likely. Female forms, hard to say. It's also possible all Elliot's female forms count as one but different from "normal" Elliot.

(The comment suggests that Cheerleadra is somehow special in this regard ...)

Well, the Cheerleadra transformation is a spell of its own. Elliot can look like any female he pictures in his head, but if he wanted to look like Cheerleadra without actually using the superhero spell, he wouldn't gain Cheerleadra's powers. I believe (and I might be wrong) that only Cheerleadra and her secret identities are protected against magical communications directed at Elliot unless the one trying to contact Elliot knows that they need to contact Cheerleadra.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

It's possible that all of Elliot's female morphs count as 1 spell and all Nanase would have to do is focus on the fact that Elliot would be female rather than trying to picture what Elliot looks like but I guess that's what's unclear about Nanase's fairy doll spell, does she have to picture the target, or just think of the target's name?

I agree with this theory. Elliot morphing into any girl he wants is all one spell and those forms might not block Nanase's fairy dolls even if she doesn't know that Elliot is transformed at the time. Remember, one of the biggest known superhero traits is keeping their identity a secret, so it makes perfect sense that a superhero spell would make sure that its user's identity is safe from things like fairy dolls.

Of course, it's ALL pretty much pointless now, thanks to that jerk immortal. Not even Memory Charms can help Elliot keep his secret anymore. He's outed for good.

2 hours ago, Circe said:

I wonder though...if he spent too much time as, say, Heidi, would that personality start to become dominant?

I doubt it. Heidi's personality is very different from Elliot's, but I wouldn't exactly call her domineering.

50 minutes ago, LivewareProblem said:

He seems to transition personalities pretty quickly though, so I don't really think that bleed through is a real danger. The wrinkle is that each personality, though, might not want to switch. Lust-for-life Heidi may not want to turn into stick-in-the-mud Elliot. Though I don't think they're so much separate personalities but different facets of Elliot's core personality, with different traits emphasized or diminished as needed.

Yes, I agree. And even if Heidi somehow took over Elliot's mind, I don't think it would be very dangerous. The others would simply have to smash her skull in with a giant flail and she would immediately poof back to Elliot. :P

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I believe that @Sjmcc13 may be referring to Dina in Dumbing of Age, specifically this comic. :)

Thew referecne is a bit older then that : http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-4/01-the-only-dope-for-me-is-you/upset/

25 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I strongly doubt that. To me it seems much more likely that they are all built on the same foundation. Elliot's core traits consist of: honesty, empathy and protectiveness. Heidi, Mildred and Gothica would be just as likely to take a bullet for a friend as Elliot himself would be. After all, Elliot is a defender and the whole reason he got a superhero spell is because he dreamed of defending and protecting people.

I feel the same, The disquise forms seem to be tweaks on elliot's personality, with some traits added and removed, but the core is the same.

It occurred to me that this is a moment where people would be like "Nanase would have known this if she read her spell book.", but I can actually see this issue not being a new thing and that Nanase has read over the requirements for using the spell, but either the wording didn't specify that targets capable of morphing would require the caster to focus on the morphed form rather than the base form, or it did in such a roundabout way that Nanase didn't pick up on it. It's possible that the book just assumed the caster might figure that multiple forms would mean a link to one wouldn't be shared with other forms.

This is very interesting regarding how magic defines a person. I guess different form is different enough in genetic composition and such.

4 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I doubt it. Heidi's personality is very different from Elliot's, but I wouldn't exactly call her domineering.

Not really what I meant.  In a lot of transformation-based stories, spending too much time in an alternate form can lead to permanent changes in personality.  Since Elliot's secret identities are complete personalities of their own, I'm just wondering if there would ever be a danger of him slipping into the background and one of them taking over.

It's probably not likely given that the superhero form + secret identities are all part of a single spell, and as others have pointed out there are supposed to be safeguards built in, and finally Dan just isn't likely to go that route from a story standpoint.  

I could possibly see Elliot getting stuck for a while as one of the secret id's.  It would be fun to see everyone's reactions when "cousin Heidi" or "long lost goth sister" comes to visit town for a while. :)

I would like to see a storyline in EGS where someone is permanently changed.  In a way Tedd has been, of course, but that's not exactly a huge change. I think the best bet would be Sam eventually getting a magical female-to-male transformation.  I'll even fearlessly predict that will happen (mostly because it will be years in real time before we ever get to that point in the plot and no one will remember this post by then! :D ).

EDIT:  Of course there is the storyline with Hedge and Vladia....but we have not seen them in a looooong time.

54 minutes ago, Circe said:

I would like to see a storyline in EGS where someone is permanently changed.

EDIT:  Of course there is the storyline with Hedge and Vladia....but we have not seen them in a looooong time.

{cough}Ellen{cough}

36 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Mildred?  I thought she was Elliot's Mild-Mannered Alternate, Emma...

I thought we had named her Velma, after the character from Scooby-Doo.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Mildred?  I thought she was Elliot's Mild-Mannered Alternate, Emma...

Someone please tell this to Dan. This has to be her canonical name (he didn't give her one already, did he?)...

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I strongly doubt that. To me it seems much more likely that they are all built on the same foundation. Elliot's core traits consist of: honesty, empathy and protectiveness.

What I (kind of) mean is about the attitude. Sure, his virtues and ethics are aligned with the good and that these are more of built in his system plus the fact these are always considered first, but the stark contrast is on the predisposed attitude of his alter-egos.

Granted, he could have expressed those feelings in himself alone.

10 minutes ago, exterminator said:

Someone please tell this to Dan. This has to be her canonical name (he didn't give her one already, did he?)...

(I) do not feel that he did. Actually, nope, he did not. Why would we still call it Mild!Elliot if, and only if, it has a name?

9 hours ago, LivewareProblem said:

He seems to transition personalities pretty quickly though, so I don't really think that bleed through is a real danger. The wrinkle is that each personality, though, might not want to switch. Lust-for-life Heidi may not want to turn into stick-in-the-mud Elliot. Though I don't think they're so much separate personalities but different facets of Elliot's core personality, with different traits emphasized or diminished as needed.

For start, both Elliot and Heidi thinks they are same personality. I think if Elliot would like being Heidi, it wouldn't make him keeping that form forever - it would cause him to became less stick-in-mud even if not transformed, so eventually "base" Elliot will behave like Heidi.

8 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:
9 hours ago, LivewareProblem said:

Yes, I agree. And even if Heidi somehow took over Elliot's mind, I don't think it would be very dangerous. The others would simply have to smash her skull in with a giant flail and she would immediately poof back to Elliot. :P

Susan's hammers might come handy as something which is guaranteed to not cause permanent damage ... or they can simply wait until Elliot spent all energy: I don't think he can keep the transformation forever.

(At least not outside Moperville or with Sarah making hole in ambient magic.)

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

It occurred to me that this is a moment where people would be like "Nanase would have known this if she read her spell book.", but I can actually see this issue not being a new thing and that Nanase has read over the requirements for using the spell, but either the wording didn't specify that targets capable of morphing would require the caster to focus on the morphed form rather than the base form, or it did in such a roundabout way that Nanase didn't pick up on it. It's possible that the book just assumed the caster might figure that multiple forms would mean a link to one wouldn't be shared with other forms.

Agree. I think this is not case of "not reading spellbook" but the way the book is explaining this is just too hard to understand.

Alternatively, it may be case of "your magic into my magic": if neither Nanase nor Ellen book said anything about what will happen when Ellen tries to copy Nanase's guardian form, why should Elliot or Nanase book said anything about what will happen if Nanase tries to contact Elliot under Cheerleadra spell?

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan's hammers might come handy as something which is guaranteed to not cause permanent damage ... or they can simply wait until Elliot spent all energy: I don't think he can keep the transformation forever.

(At least not outside Moperville or with Sarah making hole in ambient magic.)

I was making a reference to one of my current favorite cartoons, but yes, you have a point.

5 hours ago, PrincessColumbia said:

I was initially skeptical of Ashley as a part of "the crew," but hot-damn if she isn't a perfect fit!

Very much agreed.

On 3/10/2016 at 1:47 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Were the giant velociraptors asian?  I thought they'd only been found that big in Utah.

True Velociraptors are Asian and they were peacock sized. What are shown were supposedly the North American Deinonychuses (which were just tall enough to bit of a man's junk) and they made them almost as big as another Asian inhabitant the Achillobators. Utahraptors were about polar bear sized. All of these genuses were members of the Dromaeosaurids

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

True Velociraptors are Asian and they were peacock sized. What are shown were supposedly the North American Deinonychuses (which were just tall enough to bit of a man's junk) and they made them almost as big as another Asian inhabitant the Achillobators. Utahraptors were about polar bear sized. All of these genuses were members of the Dromaeosaurids

Hehe, ninja'd ya by about two days or so :p. I like your measurement for height of them though :P