• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday August 29, 2016

49 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Is this color okay?

The identity of Susan's biological parents has had two possible and seemingly contradictory foreshadowings:

1. The Other Woman With Susan's Face from  Feb 23, 2007
  2. You Don't Have Any Kids, Do You? from  Jan 17, 2012

Susan noted the first time she met Diane that they looked exactly alike, and unless The Shive is going to say that Grace made a mistake, that stands. It's reasonable to assume that Grace will enter the conversation soon an reveal this, or remind Edward that she's already told him. Grace also notices that the illusion that Adrian put on her makes her look like Susan. She was supposed to look credibly like "his niece" to the muggles.

As I've noted before on this forum, It's credible that Susan's memory of The Woman With Her Face could be false, but The Shive has never added a commentary to that one. Perhaps this signifies that He has forgotten (I hope I don't have to dodge lightning bolts for suggesting that The Shive might be fallible) or perhaps that is exactly what He meant to convey and still does.

Maybe Adrian has a sister?

I'm quite the fan of multiverse and alternate history stories, but I don't see any foreshadowing for this development.

Great color.  Thanks.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:25 AM, K^2 said:

I choose to remain skeptical. Edward has been shown not to be infallible as far as his information goes. Of course, that would imply Dan very deliberately making a red herring out of a red herring in some sort of red heringception (would that make it an infrared herring?) And it seems unlikely that this would be done without a very significant, yet unrevealed plot reason pertaining to Edward and his knowledge of characters involved. But that still keeps it under the bar I have for skeptical.

I like to refer to these sorts of situations as blue herrings. You'd think it'd be a red herring but its blue, so its definitely not a red herring, but wait could the fact that its blue be there just to throw you off?

Also I can't wait for tomorrows comic to either present option D to this whole conundrum, or to curse Dan for teasing us with this tidbit and just leave us hanging for a few weeks.

39 minutes ago, Wrothmonk said:

Also I can't wait for tomorrows comic to either present option D to this whole conundrum, or to curse Dan for teasing us with this tidbit and just leave us hanging for a few weeks.

I hope we will get some more indicia tomorrow, but it's improbable we will get resolution.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Is this color okay?

What do you have against black? I mean, EXPLICIT black, as opposed to the automatic black which turns white.

20 hours ago, chridd said:
  • There are two different possible ways the diamond could produce a copy of something: either Susan or Diane touched the diamond (problem: what is the curse?), OR someone could have used a Susan/Diane clone form and then touched the diamond (problem: how do we account for the magic affinity?). It's also possible that BOTH of them are duplicates made by the diamond, but then you'd have to account for the hospital records somehow.

Third option, their pregnant mother was cursed and touched the diamond.  For added plot convolution, the "other woman" is the separated cursed form or vice versa.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Susan noted the first time she met Diane that they looked exactly alike, and unless The Shive is going to say that Grace made a mistake, that stands. It's reasonable to assume that Grace will enter the conversation soon an reveal this, or remind Edward that she's already told him. Grace also notices that the illusion that Adrian put on her makes her look like Susan. She was supposed to look credibly like "his niece" to the muggles.

Susan's never met Diane, Diane's seen Susan though from watching the videos and she was initially skeptical about looking alike until Nanase brought it up again at New Years. Susan's only interaction with Diane has been through private message on youtube, which made Diane believe she was Susan's sister. Things probably would have been a lot easier, or at least the questions might have been asked a lot sooner if Susan had met Diane already.

On another note, I wonder if we should keep track of the time, as it's 10 o'clock (presumably AM) when Nanase asks Edward about Susan and Diane.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Susan's never met Diane, Diane's seen Susan though from watching the videos and she was initially skeptical about looking alike until Nanase brought it up again at New Years.

This could suggest that Diane has yet another characteristic that's strong in Susan: family loyalty. Arguably Diane resisted the idea that she had a natural sibling because it would might alienate her from her family, most probably her mother and Rhea.

Things probably would have been a lot easier, or at least the questions might have been asked a lot sooner if Susan had met Diane already.

Yes, and they would have probably met earlier if Principal Verrucht hadn't backed down on the uniforms. Susan was ready to transfer schools over that. In fact, I wrote a little fanfic around that road not taken.

Which reminds me of a question no one else seems to have asked yet: Where is Diane now? Is it possible she might be worried about more vampires coming after her? Is anyone else worried about that?

On another note, I wonder if we should keep track of the time, as it's 10 o'clock (presumably AM) when Nanase asks Edward about Susan and Diane.

Given that Sarah was lying down for a nap after a night without much sleep, it could have been a direct jump. It would have been cool if there had been a clock in Sarah's room. If it's ten at night, Central Time, it's time for some more news and maybe more Carol.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which reminds me of a question no one else seems to have asked yet: Where is Diane now? Is it possible she might be worried about more vampires coming after her? Is anyone else worried about that?

as it's probably only been 12 hours since we last saw Diane, It's possible she's at home. It's currently unknown whether Nanase went to talk to Edward by herself or it Ellen, Elliot or anyone else is there so another possibility is Ellen went to check on Diane maybe with the intention of bringing her to Edward or maybe to see Susan if she gets the go-ahead from Nanase.

21 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Given that Sarah was lying down for a nap after a night without much sleep, it could have been a direct jump. It would have been cool if there had been a clock in Sarah's room. If it's ten at night, Central Time, it's time for some more news and maybe more Carol.

Given that Sarah didn't get much sleep, she probably got told to get up shortly before 10am by her parents, went to the bathroom, then attempted to go back to bed before Pandora showed up.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Given that Sarah didn't get much sleep, she probably got told to get up shortly before 10am by her parents, went to the bathroom, then attempted to go back to bed before Pandora showed up.

SARAH'S DAD: Sarah, who are you talking to in there?

SARAH: Just a floating magical girl who's hundreds of years old. Again.

SARAH'S DAD: Very funny. 

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

On another note, I wonder if we should keep track of the time, as it's 10 o'clock (presumably AM) when Nanase asks Edward about Susan and Diane

There are so many interconnected plotlines within this story arc, I wouldn't be surprised if Dan is inserting a reference like the clock to keep himself organized.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

From the linked comic, maybe she got up, ate pancakes, and then headed back to bed for a nap.... 

pan...cakes....

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are so many interconnected plotlines within this story arc, I wouldn't be surprised if Dan is inserting a reference like the clock to keep himself organized.

As long as it doesn't turn into Frank Miller time. Good Lord what a fubar he managed to create in his All-Star Batman & Robin. Newspapers that printed a kidnapping story that happened after they went to print. Milk cartons listing a boy as missing who didn't go missing till days later. Batman and Robin driving around in the Batmobile arguing for SIXTEEN HOURS just driving from the circus to the Batcave. And the time issues were just a small part of what made the whole monumental mess so awful.

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan is inserting a reference like the clock to keep himself organized.

And have you noticed that the last time a precise date and day-of-the-week appeared in canon was Saturday, June 15th? One might expect The Shive does not wish the Moperverse to be bound to the mundane calendar. A wise choice, particularly if Matt Cohen ever returns, because then we might have to look up Jewish holidays. And watch out for that Easter Bunny, because Easter is a movable feast.

By the way, comparing Diane and Susan's fingerprints could yield surprising results as I just posted in Unsolved Mysteries of Susan and Diane.

On 8/29/2016 at 7:09 PM, hkmaly said:

She was lying like that to herself for how long, 10 years? 44 years? :)

(I didn't wanted to say your sentence is false. Just to provide example that they may be lying to themselves.)

On 8/30/2016 at 9:08 PM, Drasvin said:

Though to be honest, Pandora might have been fully intending to reset when Blaike died, but that was with the assumption that he would live into old age. When Blaike died, it hit her hard. She didn't want to abandon her ten year old son and she didn't want to forsake the memories of her love that she only got to know for 16 short years. If she didn't have to deal with the trauma of losing Blaike so suddenly, she might have reset after Blaike died.

As Drasvin notes the lying to oneself need only have been a short term thing due to the circumstances and even so one example out of how many immortals, a group she admits she is different from in ways.

On 08/31/2016 at 5:00 AM, Scotty said:
On 08/30/2016 at 1:43 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Susan's never met Diane

From context, seems Tom wanted to say "Grace".

On 08/31/2016 at 5:44 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, and they would have probably met earlier if Principal Verrucht hadn't backed down on the uniforms. Susan was ready to transfer schools over that.

Pity. I would totally like her going in school in male uniform and Verrucht after few tries resigning at doing something with that ...

Given that Sarah was lying down for a nap after a night without much sleep, it could have been a direct jump

Or jump BACK.

On 08/31/2016 at 6:35 AM, Tom Sewell said:
On 08/31/2016 at 6:11 AM, Scotty said:

"Very funny"? I don't think Pandora would ignore that.

On 08/31/2016 at 6:11 AM, Scotty said:

Where is Diane now? Is it possible she might be worried about more vampires coming after her? Is anyone else worried about that?

as it's probably only been 12 hours since we last saw Diane, It's possible she's at home.

Considering she wasn't attacked at home before, she may consider it reasonably safe ... and it's not like she can sleep over somewhere else on this short notice.

On 08/31/2016 at 11:32 PM, The Old Hack said:

Newspapers that printed a kidnapping story that happened after they went to print.

Sounds like the scene from Airplane! with newspapers containing photo taken just second before they appeared in frame ...

3 hours ago, PSadlon said:

As Drasvin notes the lying to oneself need only have been a short term thing

"For years, Pandora assured herself that she would reset her identity upon entering her two hundredth year."

3 hours ago, PSadlon said:

one example out of how many immortals, a group she admits she is different from in ways.

With the number of immortals we saw so far it's too early to say if they HAVE something common - beside being immortals of course.

You really do enjoy swimming upstream, don't you?

For years , she had nothing, nada, no reason to change or even believe that was a reason to change her mind. Then her beloved husband was taken from her due to being killed in an act of heroism. Her son, her only connection to Blake was, and still is, all too will brave the sort of dangers that killed Blake. She may have tried  to tell herself that the pan had not changed that she would still reset at 200 but at that point after that would have been a lie she told herself.

And yes we have seen only a few immortals we have also been explicitly told even before the tragedy and the years without reset her motivations were never quite in mind with other immortals

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

From context, seems Tom wanted to say "Grace".

I'm actually more inclined to say he probably meant Ellen initially since it was her that first noticed the similarity, then Grace agreed stating that she's "gotten good at analyzing physical structures".

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Considering she wasn't attacked at home before, she may consider it reasonably safe ... and it's not like she can sleep over somewhere else on this short notice.

I'm sure she could have made up some excuse to crash at Rhea's apartment, though she was Nanase and Ellen's ride...would Ellen have suggested Diane stay at her place? Would Diane's safety override Ellen's desire to make sure Diane doesn't do anything funny with Elliot?

Probably more likely Diane would go home or back to Rhea's apartment.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:
42 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure she could have made up some excuse to crash at Rhea's apartment

... I was actually thinking that's where she's "home" now, but you're right, she was only stuck there for the new year celebration. So, yes, that would be option, although she wouldn't have much additional protection there.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

would Ellen have suggested Diane stay at her place? Would Diane's safety override Ellen's desire to make sure Diane doesn't do anything funny with Elliot?

I suspect Dunkels don't really have room for that, UNLESS someone is going to do "something funny" (sharing bed).

18 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

but at that point after that would have been a lie she told herself

So you agree.

19 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

And yes we have seen only a few immortals we have also been explicitly told even before the tragedy and the years without reset her motivations were never quite in mind with other immortals

"Never" is pretty strong word for immortal :) ... I think it was just her last incarnation which felt different, and not even Pandora herself is sure how much. But, ok, Pandora might not be best example. Let's wait years of real time for some other :)

On 8/30/2016 at 4:43 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Susan Grace noted the first time she met Diane that they looked exactly alike, and unless The Shive is going to say that Grace made a mistake, that stands.

Yes, I meant Grace.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Sounds like the scene from Airplane! with newspapers containing photo taken just second before they appeared in frame ...

With one key difference. In "Airplane" it was intentional. Miller's All-Star Batman & Robin was just a mess. *sigh*

55 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect Dunkels don't really have room for that, UNLESS someone is going to do "something funny" (sharing bed).

I would suspect Elliot would end up in the living room or basement on a couch, although Diane would probably quickly figure out that Ellen and Elliot share a bedroom, and we know Elliot doesn't want that being spread around, not sure if Ellen cares if anyone knew or if she'd respect Elliot not wanting it known.

Though let's be honest, how long does everyone think it will be till Diane learns of Ellen's true origins? Who will spill the beans on this one? ;)

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Though let's be honest, how long does everyone think it will be till Diane learns of Ellen's true origins? Who will spill the beans on this one? ;)

Ellen will spill these beans, if she already hasn't. The only other candidates I feel would be right would be Elliot and Ellen's parents, which would fit in with Diane spending the night at their house.

Revealing Ellen's origin to Diane will allow her to wonder if she's got the same origin or a similar one, especially if Edward continues to exposit that Susan is an only child. Sounds like another source of haze around that reply.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I would suspect Elliot would end up in the living room or basement on a couch, although Diane would probably quickly figure out that Ellen and Elliot share a bedroom

If Diane would end up sleeping in Elliot's bed, it would be impossible to hide the fact it's Elliot's bed from her.

34 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Ellen will spill these beans, if she already hasn't. The only other candidates I feel would be right would be Elliot and Ellen's parents, which would fit in with Diane spending the night at their house.

Revealing Ellen's origin to Diane will allow her to wonder if she's got the same origin or a similar one, especially if Edward continues to exposit that Susan is an only child. Sounds like another source of haze around that reply.

We already talked about it and Dewitchery diamond being involved doesn't seem likely (although that theory of cursed mother ...).

I suppose basically anyone from main 8 would be able to disprove it using same arguments ... of course, if that happens with Diane listening ...

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We already talked about it and Dewitchery diamond being involved doesn't seem likely (although that theory of cursed mother ...).

I suppose basically anyone from main 8 would be able to disprove it using same arguments ... of course, if that happens with Diane listening ...

I could be wrong as with a lot of theories, but I want to be pretty certain that the diamond is strictly an Elliot/Ellen/Magus plot device, it doesn't seem right to reuse it as a Susan/Diane plot device when cheating father has been a known aspect of Susan's life for the majority of her time in the comic.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Diane knows enough that, if she learned about the diamond's effects in general (including the powers it gives), she could probably deduce (or at least guess) that that's where Ellen came from, so it could also be someone who doesn't know about Ellen's origin but knows about magic stuff (e.g., I've imagined situations where Diane learns about the diamond from Charlotte, who learned about it from her spooky forums or something, and then one or both of them realize that it fits with what they know about Ellen).

On August 31, 2016 at 0:35 AM, Tom Sewell said:

So, Clarisse van Rossum?