• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday August 29, 2016

Or the last two panels will turn out to be hypothetical.

Or The Shive has been captured by Alien Space Bats. You know, the same ASBs responsible for Highlander II?

The most important part of The Shive's commentary is the title of Part Three: Answer Hazy. Which means in this section we can expect the "suspense" to continue with no guarantee of a resolution.

I may have further thoughts on the subject, but I don't want to miss breakfast.

THE PATTY DUKE SHOW THEME (Sid Ramin / Bob Wells)

Meet Cathy, who's lived most everywhere, From Zanzibar to Barclay Square.

But Patty's only seen the sights A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights — What a crazy pair!

But they're cousins, Identical cousins all the way. One pair of matching bookends, Different as night and day.

Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,

Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hot dog makes her lose control — What a wild duet!

Still, they're cousins, Identical cousins and you'll find, They laugh alike, they walk alike,

At times they even talk alike — You can lose your mind, When cousins are two of a kind.

Sorry, I'm just that damned old...

I'm highly suspicious that Dan didn't give us his favorite "Oh, snap!" graphic here....

25 minutes ago, CptNerd said:

THE PATTY DUKE SHOW THEME (Sid Ramin / Bob Wells)

Thanks to Nick at Night, you don't have to be that old to know the old black and white shows.  And now we've got Antenna and all these other channels doing the same thing.  No show will ever be off the air again, unless the music rights are snarled enough....

17 minutes ago, exterminator said:

Theory: Diane is a alternate-universe version of Susan. She somehow ended in this universe after birth, and that's why she was given in adoption: she has no parents here.

Not alternate universe, just from the Griffins side of the coin.  That may explain why she is such a fan girl about both Nanase, a powerful mage, and the griffons.  She thinks Nanase should be a royal figure and of course Griffins are from home and she has a racial memory of them.  

Or something like that.

1 hour ago, CptNerd said:

So am I.

Scrying the Title Page (Again)

Susan and Diane have their backs to each other and are looking at each other over their shoulders. Maybe asking themselves "Who are we to each other?"

Possible Foreshadowing of Alternate Universe Diane:

But remember that Jerry said that Diane was Susan's long-lost sister. Immortals can lie, but I don't think they lie to themselves very often.

So my current bet is on Edward not being infallible after all, or Edward lying because he believes it's the right thing to do.

Grammar Reminder

I just used "its" instead of "it's" before I noticed and corrected myself. "Its" is the possessive or genitive form of the pronoun "it". "It's" is the contraction of "it is". This is one of the many examples of why you should proofread instead of relying on spellcheck. Sorry, fellow slackers.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Should have proofread (doh!)

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

But remember that Jerry said that Diane was Susan's long-lost sister. Immortals can lie, but I don't think they lie to themselves very often.

So my current bet is on Edward not being infallible after all, or Edward lying because he believes it's the right thing to do.

Yeah, that's why I think there's more to this than is shown, I don't see why Jerry would lie and leave false hints about Diane's relation to Susan when he vowed to help Susan and Nanase to make up for Helena and Demetrius supposedly lying to them. I don't think he would just assume Diane is Susan's sister after eavesdropping on Ellen and Nanase discussing the possibility of it, then again, he did assume that Sarah didn't have any innate talents for magic, but that might not count because he apparently wasn't powerful enough to detect it.

We'll have to wait till the next page to see if Edward says anything else about this, but I don't think he'd lie about whether or not Susan was adopted, Nanase would have given him the exact same reasons she gave Elliot and Diane about why she believes they're sisters and he isn't faking seizures or anything so I do believe he didn't find anything. but like I said before, it's possible someone else did a really good job of covering up Susan's true origins.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't think immortals are infallible either.  Yeah, they can watch everyone from another plane of reality, but he'd have to have been watching Susan and/or Diane around the time of their birth to know that for sure, and he was wrong about Susan etc. knowing that immortals die.  He might have just figured out that they were sisters the same way that Ellen and Nanase did (same appearance, he can probably sense magic affinities, and he may have seen/heard Ellen and Nanase's reaction when Diane mentioned her birthday).

5 minutes ago, chridd said:

I don't think immortals are infallible either.

Neither do I, but why was Jerry at that party? Shouldn't he have been watching Susan? Jerry the Next Generation (JNG) may not have the power or smarts of Jerry the Original Version (JOV) but he's still an Immortal with powers and abilities far beyond those of (most) mortal men. Also smarts. My money still goes on JOV being right about the "long lost sister."

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Two sides of the coin ... just my 2¢.

Or faces of a die? :P

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

By now I am convinced that the whole Diane/Susan being twins setup is a huge Dan troll that he has spent more than a decade setting up because he wanted to annoy fans who like to grow epileptic trees. I move that we create a new trope based on this: Troll of God.

If that turns out to be the case, I'll actually be very, truly, for realsies, quite annoyed, to put it mildly.

Just want to point out:

We know that Susan has a summon-magic-objects affinity that gives her a major boost on being a vampire hunter.

We know that Diane also has a magical affinity that gives her a major boost on being a vampire hunter - but no magic-analyzing person has said what that affinity is! Nanase and company were assuming it's the same, on the basis of the two being sisters; but they apparently (pending further info) aren't, and even if they are, it may or may not be the same. 

A different affinity? Maybe she's a vampire-finder; that would definitely help in disposing of them, in fact I'd rate it as more dangerous to a vampire than Susan's ability (since magic weapons are optional - a gun will do - but finding the vampire is essential). Or a blocker - vampire can't feed on anyone in her presence. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Neither do I, but why was Jerry at that party? Shouldn't he have been watching Susan? Jerry the Next Generation (JNG) may not have the power or smarts of Jerry the Original Version (JOV) but he's still an Immortal with powers and abilities far beyond those of (most) mortal men. Also smarts. My money still goes on JOV being right about the "long lost sister."

I thought that Jerry was at the party to watch Nanase. He does owe part of his promise to her after all. Also, if he was aware of who not-Tengu was, then he would have specific reason to be watching over Nanase and her friends.

He still could have deduced they were sisters based on their appearance/affinity before the party.  Plus, why would he know?  We don't have any reason to believe he was paying attention to Susan when she was born, and if he has any other family detection powers, alternate universe counterparts or similar might still look similar to twins to that, especially if he didn't consider alternate universes—he didn't seem to already know about other paranormal things the main characters went through, and Tara thought Elliot and Ellen were twins based on their aura.

16 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

A different affinity? Maybe she's a vampire-finder; that would definitely help in disposing of them, in fact I'd rate it as more dangerous to a vampire than Susan's ability (since magic weapons are optional - a gun will do - but finding the vampire is essential). Or a blocker - vampire can't feed on anyone in her presence. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

"Can't really tell which of ya could summon The Bane one day" — would seem to imply that it is actually a summoning affinity.  It might still be a different summoning affinity—I don't know how specific affinities are—or maybe it's actually Charlotte who has that affinity (but then Diane would still have some vampire hunter affinity).

Technically not twins but possibly still sisters. I don't think Young Jerry was lying or wrong. I'm sure we can all think of a way for them to be sisters even this information, especially considering what we know about Susan's father. Now whether or not this is the case remains to be seen.

WHAT?

14 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Diane could be a clone of Susan using an Uryuom egg. Diane was then adopted out.

And they cloned her 20 minutes after birth? Why?

There is something similar to the TF gun floating around, but it was used to make one baby permanently identical to the other.

Dewitchery diamond would make more sense.

Diane is the Susan equivalent from a parallel universe and somehow got sent to Susan's universe as an infant.

Might work.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Susan was a Fairy produced changeling baby who was intended to replace Diane, but was discovered before the switch could be made.

... how would that be "empower and guide"? Or you think there are some other fairies than immortals and summons in EGS?

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's gotta be more to it than this. The people involved at Diane and Susan's birth might have been just as if not more thorough at covering up the girl's origins than Edward's checks. Maybe Mrs Pompoms is pulling a Mama Kitsune on us?

Simplest answer. Not most probable, but simplest, despite making fake records good enough to fool DGB would be hard.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

maybe Mr Pompoms got them both pregnant at some wild party on night and Mrs Pompom's sister never came forward with it? Or maybe she did and Mrs Pompoms knows, wait, I've heard this story before.

If Mrs Pompoms and her sister are twins, that MIGHT work. But note that in this case, Edward MIGHT notice that in his background checks ...

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not alternate universe, just from the Griffins side of the coin.  That may explain why she is such a fan girl about both Nanase, a powerful mage, and the griffons.

One problem: it would not explain them looking similar. The "mirror universe" relationship is not working between the sides of universe.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Immortals can lie, but I don't think they lie to themselves very often.

Counterexample: Pandora: "I will totally reset when Blaike dies".

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 hours ago, chridd said:

I don't think immortals are infallible either.

He can sense magic abilities AND he may have something like compare DNA just by looking.

57 minutes ago, chridd said:

and if he has any other family detection powers, alternate universe counterparts or similar might still look similar to twins to that, especially if he didn't consider alternate universes—he didn't seem to already know about other paranormal things the main characters went through, and Tara thought Elliot and Ellen were twins based on their aura.

That's true: only option his powers would reject is coincidence, and seriously, so many coincidences don't look likely anyway.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not alternate universe, just from the Griffins side of the coin.  That may explain why she is such a fan girl about both Nanase, a powerful mage, and the griffons.  She thinks Nanase should be a royal figure and of course Griffins are from home and she has a racial memory of them.  

Planes (the different facets of reality in one universe) are different from alternate universes (a universe with its own facets where events occured differently). And doppelgangers only exist between universes, not planes.

40 minutes ago, PSadlon said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And you totally missed the context  of "very often"

She was lying like that to herself for how long, 10 years? 44 years? :)

(I didn't wanted to say your sentence is false. Just to provide example that they may be lying to themselves.)

There's something weird here.  Susan was not adopted but Diane is.  So Separated at birth for some reason.  But you'd expect with a birth separation the Pompoms would keep the older twin if they were going to keep one, and they didn't.

I suspect something is afoot that eluded or confused Ed Verres' background checks, which points straight at The Other Woman in some way, almost-certainly as Susan's and Diane's birth-mother and a need to alter hospital record, give one child to Susan's mom and the other up for adoption.  The why's that go with that are less clear.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

WHAT?

And they cloned her 20 minutes after birth? Why?

Dewitchery diamond would make more sense.

Clones can also be created just after conception. As for why, how would I know? They looked just like twins until Edward said they weren't. Everyone who is saying that Edward must be wrong could be right.

As for the Dewitchery Diamond, that thing requires a curse. What could it be, and how would an infant acquire one?

I agree with the idea of Susan and Diane being children of Adrian.

Why? Think who taught Edward. I'm certain there's a reason he's covering this up. And Edward made no promises about misinformation to Nanase.

24 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Clones can also be created just after conception. As for why, how would I know? They looked just like twins until Edward said they weren't. Everyone who is saying that Edward must be wrong could be right.

As for the Dewitchery Diamond, that thing requires a curse. What could it be, and how would an infant acquire one?

It also requires Susan be capable of passing on the curse. 

Susan is baby #2, therefore the likely duplicate.  But Susan has no accidental cursing in her known past.  Diane doesn't have much past revealed for her, but there are no accidentally-cast curses in her past either,.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:
9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Immortals can lie, but I don't think they lie to themselves very often.

Though to be honest, Pandora might have been fully intending to reset when Blaike died, but that was with the assumption that he would live into old age. When Blaike died, it hit her hard. She didn't want to abandon her ten year old son and she didn't want to forsake the memories of her love that she only got to know for 16 short years. If she didn't have to deal with the trauma of losing Blaike so suddenly, she might have reset after Blaike died.