• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Wednesday August 31, 2016

Time travel into the PAST is impossible. Going into the FUTURE is trivial, as long as you don't need to come back. You just need to suspend the passage of time for your future-traveler until the appropriate amount of time has elapsed--this is fundamentally what Abraham is doing when he petrifies himself.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

Time travel into the PAST is impossible. Going into the FUTURE is trivial, as long as you don't need to come back. You just need to suspend the passage of time for your future-traveler until the appropriate amount of time has elapsed--this is fundamentally what Abraham is doing when he petrifies himself.

Sure. Technically, what is impossible is closed timelike curve. Although ... technically we only know it's impossible by MAGIC. The wormhole one might still work, IF there would be some usable wormhole around ...

Well, really, if you can't be within a lightyear's distance of your old position for each year backwards you travel, then is it really the past? The causality issues of time travel all stem from the idea of information or matter being transferred from the older self to the younger self, whether direct (encounter the younger self) or indirect (do something in the past that results in the younger self doing things differently).

Actually causality may simply be an illusion caused by the limitation of how we perceive the dimension of time.  If something from the present or future changed the past, how would the "updated" version of ourselves know?

But in EGS, time travel is impossible because The Creator (AKA The Shive) says so. At least until He says differently.

And before anyone digs me again, crosstime travel means crossing into an alternate universe, usually one where history unfolded differently. That's been in EGE canon almost from day one.

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

Well, really, if you can't be within a lightyear's distance of your old position for each year backwards you travel, then is it really the past?

You can. The strategy is to find or create traversable wormhole and then take one of it's ends on relativistic trip, ending near the location of the other end BUT with time dilatation making one end of the hole "older" than the other.

The most important limit of this is that you can't travel to the time BEFORE the wormhole was moved. But after the wormhole is in position, time travelers from future can start arriving.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And before anyone digs me again, crosstime travel means crossing into an alternate universe, usually one where history unfolded differently. That's been in EGE canon almost from day one.

Are you sure this is common definition?

But yes, we already saw travel between alternate universes with different history. Also, one nice trick which is ALMOST time travel is to travel between universes which are identical except age. There are no paradoxes, as the universes starts to differ the moment you move, but it LOOKS like you are in past ...