• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Pinup: Thursday September 1 2016: Dan's choice 1 (Sabotage)

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Big melons? Beanbag chairs? Flotation devices? What the heck did Ashley say to get this result if "big boobs" several times only resulted in Mall Girl Elliot?

"Super boobs" ... or more likely "Superhero with super boobs."

4 minutes ago, Stature said:

These days I just dismiss those as oh-so comical.

The lower half of image is still sexy. Also, "comical" is important - these are not supposed to be JUST sexy.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The lower half of image is still sexy. Also, "comical" is important - these are not supposed to be JUST sexy.

Katy Keene would still have some words for that, you know.

And again, hers (and a scientist, *ahem ahem*) still puts Power Girl to shame, so I conclude that the sexiness here is overloaded. :demonicduck:

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

There's a reason that "Boobs of Steel" is "the most common superpower". :D

Is it not superhuman strength, partly due to a certain comic artist heavily implementing muscles in his art? (Sarcasm quite implied; TVTropes got me and you)

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

There's a reason that "Boobs of Steel" is "the most common superpower". :D

Actually that combines two tropes.

"The most common superpower" is simply women with off-the-chart-huge boobs by real-world standards.

"Boobs of Steel" says that female bad-assery correlates to bust size.  Nanase is a classic "boobs of steel" sort of girl.  She may even be listed in the TV Tropes article.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

"The most common superpower" is simply women with off-the-chart-huge boobs by real-world standards.

And totally unrealistic shape, don't forget that!  Antigravity is a built-in part of the most common superpower.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

"Boobs of Steel" says that female bad-assery correlates to bust size.  Nanase is a classic "boobs of steel" sort of girl.  She may even be listed in the TV Tropes article.

There are two acceptable shapes for women in these sorts of cliches.  One is tall, hour-glass shaped with long legs and big perky boobs.  The other is the "tomboy" character, who usually manages to look flat-chested until they are seen naked, when they suddenly have shapely boobs which would never have fit under their clothes without a hint of being there, maybe a bit smaller than the standard super-heroine model but still....

Sarah used to fit the "tomboy" model, but she seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak.

33 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

And totally unrealistic shape, don't forget that!  Antigravity is a built-in part of the most common superpower.

There are two acceptable shapes for women in these sorts of cliches.  One is tall, hour-glass shaped with long legs and big perky boobs.  The other is the "tomboy" character, who usually manages to look flat-chested until they are seen naked, when they suddenly have shapely boobs which would never have fit under their clothes without a hint of being there, maybe a bit smaller than the standard super-heroine model but still....

Sarah used to fit the "tomboy" model, but she seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak.

Anti-gravity or something, yes.  You'd expect, say, Power Girl to be unnaturally perky.  Kryptonian invulnerability means the weight of her considerable bust is still trivial for purposes of stretching her skin or pulling her spine out of alignment.  Keep her under red-sun radiation for even a few hours and she'll start to ache in a number of places.  Wonder Woman is in this same class.

Other characters such as the many versions of Phoenix, Sue Richards or the Scarlet Witch may have powers to help support themselves.

...which just leaves everybody else.  The trend among contemporary comics artists is to draw less-extreme figures than in past decades too.

I've never seen Sarah as a "Tomboy".  Not in the sense of having a larger bust in private than she should possibly be able to conceal in public.  Baseline Sarah has been pretty constant for years.

I've seen some extreme cases of concealment, however.  A girl I once knew, who looked a DD bust in normal clothes crafted a renn-faire anti-bustier for herself that made her look flat as a board.  I never actually asked her what her bust size was...it seemed--and still seems--rude and impertinent unless it's someone I know really well.

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Actually that combines two tropes.

In El Goonish Shive, Nanase, Ellen and (by extension) Female Elliot are the best physical fighters of the main cast, and they also have the largest chests. Even Grace is fairly well-endowed, compared to Sarah, who combines A-Cup Angst with an undesired lack of powers.

• This is explained in-story in that characters with magic will often find that magic has enhanced one or more physical traits, leading another character to grow several inches taller, and Nanase's hair also grows rapidly at one point. Nanase is quite pleased with the idea that she literally has "magic boobs."
  • Lampshaded hereexternal_link.gif.

That said, I'd argue that the "boobs of steel" trope is specific to physical strength and not how badass they are, or else Susan would have the biggest of the group. ;)