• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

One of the suggested uses on HP sauce is on or in baked beans.  I tried it on black eyed peas based on that.  Result: Meh.  Not horrid, but not real good either.  Will not do again.

Have you tried the suggested use? HP + a bottle of B&O Baked Beans actually kind of sounds appetizing.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Have you tried the suggested use? HP + a bottle of B&O Baked Beans actually kind of sounds appetizing.

I don't really like baked beans, so no.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

About to try a place called "Fat Guy's Burger Bar".

With a name like that, I'm not expecting diet food.

Meh.  A solid 6, may or may not go back.

A long time ago, there was a Bloom County where Opus called 911 because he ate a green banana and his tongue was all starchy.  I never really understood that until about 30 minutes ago, when I ate a green banana.  Will not do again.

Don't you remember?

Green Bananas are for cooking.  If you live in an area where you can not get plantains at the local grocery, green bananas can take their place in almost any recipe.

Yellow bananas are not quite ripe, let them sit at room temperature a day or so.

Bright yellow with little brown freckles is ideal for eating fresh out of hand.  Also for any salad or desert that calls for raw bananas.

A few more freckles is good for Frozen Bananas,  Take a banana (or half a banana) put it on a stick, cover it with chocolate syrup, and stick it in the freezer.

And finally a lot of brown on the peel, but not mushy, is perfect to mash up for banana bread and banana ice cream.

Are they not teaching this to young people any more?

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Green Bananas are for cooking.

True story, from the summer of 1980 in Houston. Summer band, before my senior year.

Five of my friends and I were hanging around the band hall, mid-day, after a summer rehearsal. Some guy drives up and asks if we want to make some money helping off-load an 18-wheeler[1] that was on its side on Interstate 45 (a.k.a. the Gulf Freeway), a little over a mile away. We ask what kind of money. He flashes $100—big money for high schoolers back then. We get in our cars and follow.

On to the scene of the accident. Sure enough, the trailer portion of the 18-wheeler is lying on its side, blocking traffic on northbound I-45. They've got a metal-wheeled conveyor ramp set up. Our job is to off-load the cargo—boxes of bananas—onto the ramp, where their guys with roll them off and load them onto a second trailer.

You'd be surprised at how quickly six motivated, well-conditioned band kids can move. We had that thing off-loaded in just over an hour. The guy hands us the $100, in five $20 bills, plus a bunch of green bananas each, and promptly forgets about us.

New problem: how do you divide five $20 bills among six people? Answer: you find a bank and let them do the math. Each of us got approximately $16.67. And a bunch of green bananas.

I was pretty damned tired by the time I got home. Guess what was one of the first things my stressed-out mind decided to do? Yep—eat a banana. Oh, the memories of the heartburn afterward live with me still.

Lessons: don't eat green bananas, and bargain for more money if asked to off-load a truckload of them.

[1]Of course, they're actually 23-wheelers: 18 rolling, 2 spare, a 5th wheel, steering wheel, and flywheel.

I normally avoid any food with "smart" in the name.  Yesterday, while getting groceries, I grabbed two packages of fake crab.  Today I noticed it was "Smart Crab".  Read the back.  The "smart" was no artificial flavors or colors and no added sugar, plus adding sea salt.  I could taste a difference and it will be my pseudo crab of choice now.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

I normally avoid any food with "smart" in the name.  Yesterday, while getting groceries, I grabbed two packages of fake crab.  Today I noticed it was "Smart Crab".  Read the back.  The "smart" was no artificial flavors or colors and no added sugar, plus adding sea salt.  I could taste a difference and it will be my pseudo crab of choice now.

Smart surimi?

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

The fake crab that I see up here is usually made of Alaskan Pollock.

Alaskan Pollock is ok.  But I really prefer cod.

Trouble is, cod is so overfished that all the things that were originally built around cod as a mild whitefish are now constructed from Pollock.

C'mon aquaculture.  You can do more than tilapia, catfish, and bland Atlantic salmon.

As for what I'm ingesting now?  Ginger Slaps.  That's ginger snaps that have become a little moist and stale and lost their snap.

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Trouble is, cod is so overfished that all the things that were originally built around cod as a mild whitefish are now constructed from Pollock.

C'mon aquaculture.  You can do more than tilapia, catfish, and bland Atlantic salmon.

Gotta agree with pollock vs. cod. Believe it or not, Long John Silver has been offering a Beer Batter Cod plate in these parts, and it's not overly greasy. Tastes great, and you get just enough of it. Much better than their usual fare, which comes from I don't know what.

I actually prefer flatfish from the sea—crab-stuffed flounder is my favorite fish dish, while my son's is pretty much anything made with halibut.

Tilapia is bleh and catfish is meh. For freshwater fish, give me panfish (a bluegill perch will do nicely any day), crappie, or bass. I'd prefer that someone else do the cleaning of the crappie or the bass, however. ;)

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The funny thing is that in olden times, cod was considered to be so low-prestige that it was only eaten by those who couldn't get "real" food.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Long John Silver has been offering a Beer Batter Cod plate in these parts, and it's not overly greasy

You inspired me to go to my local Long John's.

That was a bad idea.

They did not have the beer batter cod.  Just their usual fare, which comes from I don't know what.

The coleslaw was OK.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You inspired me to go to my local Long John's.

That was a bad idea.

They did not have the beer batter cod.  Just their usual fare, which comes from I don't know what.

The coleslaw was OK.

I apologize for ruining your evening meal.

Mrs. Prof and I are about to partake of a Pizza Hut pizza: garlic-parmesan sauce, beef, meatballs, and red onions on top, Hut Favorite flavor on the crust. Got it for half off because the Dallas Mavericks won last night.

For the record, garlic-parmesan sauce is surprisingly good on a pizza, in certain combinations. Quite a change from the boring tomato-based sauce.

I finally have true jasmine tea back in my life! Oolong and jasmine, bought from Teavana, mind you, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the stuff elsewhere! Jasmine green tea is simple to find, as is jasmine Earl Grey, but not jasmine with nothing but tea leaves.

My obsession dates back to somewhere between fourth and sixth grades, when my mother bought a tin of Twinings black tea with jasmine. I couldn't drink it hot, but I loved the smell of it and, once it cooled down enough, the taste. Must have been expensive as hell, because she wouldn't let me make it often. I had to settle for smelling it and looking at the jasmine buds that were scattered among it.

It's still expensive—$16.93 for a 2oz. packet, and that's with a 30% discount. Fortunately, since it's a strong Oolong, I can steep the leaves three times. I've already made a cup. GOOD stuff!

57 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I can certainly see how getting good Jasmine might be hard around where you live--I've heard what they say about Texas Tea and all . . .

Considering that a barrel of oil is going for approximately $51 a barrel, and that a barrel is 5,376 ounces, a barrel of Oolong jasmine tea would sell for $45,507.84 with the 30% discount I got at Teavana. I'd say that the Oolong jasmine outdoes Texas Tea by a wide margin. ;)  (see below)

BTW, I tested whether or not you could really get 3 good cups out of one teaspoon of leaves. It's true—you can. I had to let the third cup steep an extra 30 seconds, but it was just a hair shy of tasting as good as the first cup.

BTW part two: Teavana's link to the tea is here. I misread the invoice. It was actually $12.98 for 2oz, which makes a 5,376 ounce barrel worth $34,890.24. Still way more than a $51 barrel of oil.

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I finally have true jasmine tea back in my life!

I'm so sorry.

Oh, wait you like it.  Well, different teas for different folk.

On 3/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

I finally have true jasmine tea back in my life! Oolong and jasmine, bought from Teavana, mind you, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the stuff elsewhere! Jasmine green tea is simple to find, as is jasmine Earl Grey, but not jasmine with nothing but tea leaves.

My obsession dates back to somewhere between fourth and sixth grades, when my mother bought a tin of Twinings black tea with jasmine. I couldn't drink it hot, but I loved the smell of it and, once it cooled down enough, the taste. Must have been expensive as hell, because she wouldn't let me make it often. I had to settle for smelling it and looking at the jasmine buds that were scattered among it.

It's still expensive—$16.93 for a 2oz. packet, and that's with a 30% discount. Fortunately, since it's a strong Oolong, I can steep the leaves three times. I've already made a cup. GOOD stuff!

The right tea can be hard to find. I currently have a shipment on order that cost me a total of just over $60 - about $20 of that is shipping because it's being shipped *to me* from China. The order is that big because the shipping charge was not affected by the size of the order in the range I would buy, so I bought more than I otherwise would have.

However, for a jasmine oolong, there are other sellers, such as this one (not an endorsement, I've never tried them): http://www.tenren.com/jasmineoolong.html

On 2/28/2017 at 2:52 AM, mlooney said:

Just had some bratwurst with HP sauce instead of mustard and horseradish.  Liked it.  Will do again.

I just finished some bratwursts with both HP sauce and horseradish.  That was splendid.  I will do that again.