• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Just got back from The Outback.  Less than meh.  Plus the service sucked, so I suspect David and I will not be returning.  On the plus side, their cheese fries are actually rather good.

The Sam's Club stuffed bell peppers weren't bad. The peppers themselves I could have done without, but the stuffing topped with cheese was actually quite palatable.

One thing I'm glad she did bring back from Sam's Club is a pack of single serve containers of Sabra hummus. We don't have pita for dipping, so I've been forced to improvise. Triscuit works well, but some of the flavored Triscuit varieties overpower the hummus. Experimentation continues.

Chicken Kow, because I was in the middle of a dental with twenty extractions and didn't get a chance to peruse the menu of the unfamiliar Chinese place the staff was getting food from.  Chicken Kow is generally chicken and mixed vegetables in a very boring sauce, which I can at least be sure I can eat, as opposed to picking something that sounds interesting but possibly finding it unsatisfying or inedible,

My fortune cookie reads "You business will be successful."

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Twenty extractions? What sort of creature was it that needed half of its teeth pulled all at once?

A small dog.  They're prone to dental disease.  When you selectively breed to make dogs smaller, their teeth don't shrink as quickly as their heads and jaws do, so they wind up with proportionally much bigger teeth and much less bone around them, meaning any loss of bone from dental disease is much more significant.  This poor girl is only seven, but we found and treated a lot of dental disease that was invivsible below the gumline, so we're hoping she'll be much more comfortable now and get a good long time of healthy teeth and gums if the owners start brushing regularly.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:27 AM, ijuin said:

*starts imagining what dentures for dogs would be like and how to keep the dog from spitting them out*

There are veterinary dentists, and they do things like root canals and crowns, implants, etc.  Why?  The most commonly given example would be a police dog who has a problem with a canine tooth (the big "fang" tooth); their job requires them to be able to grab ahold of a suspect, so losing one of their main grabbing teeth could force their retirement, after thousands of dollars and man-hours of training being invested in them.  Give them an implant, a new canine tooth, and they can continue doing their job for years longer.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There are veterinary dentists, and they do things like root canals and crowns, implants, etc.  Why?

Oh, I was just imagining a dog having to live with removable dentures and all of the things that a human with dentures has to do as a result.

The "free" packet of pretzels United gave me on the flight from ORD to SRQ.

I couldn't eat them in flight because I already had a can of Mr & Mrs T's Bloody Mary mix*.  I just can't handle that much salt at one time.

A single can of Mr & Mrs T's has 62% of the USRDA for sodium.  I know it isn't good for me.

But my dad drank it every time he would fly.  Now whenever I fly I order it and think of him.  Seemed appropriate on the trip for my mother's funeral.

*Just the mix.  No Vodka.  Those little bottles of Airline Booze must be priced by the same people who run the gas stations outside the airport rental car returns.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A single can of Mr & Mrs T's has 62% of the USRDA for sodium.  I know it isn't good for me.

But my dad drank it every time he would fly.  Now whenever I fly I order it and think of him.  Seemed appropriate on the trip for my mother's funeral.

Very appropriate.

On that note, I somehow got started on drinking ginger ale with a slice of lime whenever I fly. I don't remember exactly when, but it was well before my senior year of high school. I still order it to this day when drink service is offered.

Jump to the middle of my senior year. I flew to Washington, D.C. with a group of students from my school as part of the Close Up Foundation, a student program to get to know the workings of Washington better. (Note: Famed lawyer Leon Jaworski was one of my financial sponsors.) En route, I ordered my usual ginger ale with a slice of lime. It caught the attention of the rest of my school's group. On the way back, there were a great many orders for ginger ale with a slice of lime.

Probably the one and only time I set a trend in my high school days.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:32 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Those little bottles of Airline Booze must be priced by the same people who run the gas stations outside the airport rental car returns.

I got a good tip on my previous Disney trip about gassing up rentals.  The little gas station on the way out of the Disney complex actually has some of the cheapest gas in town, so my source recommended filling up there on your last day.  Saved me a lot of bother trying to find cheap gas elsewhere.

I also found the one place in any tourist place I've seen where you get more than your money's worth, in a very immediate way.  They had change machines next to the Souvenir Penny Press which would take your dollar and give you four quarters and two shiny pennies.  (The presses each take two quarters and one penny to get each squashed penny souvenir.)  Granted, it would take more work than it would be worth to make any significant profit that way, but it was still amusing that you could get back more money than you put into it.

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A 102% immediate return on investment?

Call the treasury department, I think there may a way to pay off the national debt.

Don't pennies cost way more that 1 cent to make?

Canned chicken noodle soup, of my old-favorite/comfort variety.  I have caught the cold my boss had last week, and just didn't feel like eating all day.  At lunch break I went home and took a nap instead, hit snooze and didn't even have time to eat anything, but I just didn't miss it.  I mostly had the soup now because I figured I should.  We'll see whether it opens a floodgate, or whether I continue anorectic until my nose clears up....