• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

34 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Am I the only person here who gets a lot of gas (burping) after drinking coffee? Yes or no?

I do about one time in three, so yeah.

Clearing out some of my Keurig non-K-cup backlog. Drinking Pinhead Gunpowder green tea, but with Equal and creamer. The stuff's kind of meh on its own.

Got it from a place called FreshRoastedCoffee.com - worth visiting. Most of their stuff is quite good, especially their Costa Rica Tarrazu. I bought this particular tea to put me over the free shipping limit on an order. It's the only thing I've ever bought from them to which I wouldn't give at least four stars. I'm drinking it today for the brain freeze-fighting caffeine and, like I said, to clear out stock.

I just found out that my favorite Indian food restaurant, Desi Wok, had a fire last month.  It looks like they are in the rebuild state right now.

I am bummed.

I'm in a state of dinner limbo at the moment, at the mercy of Mrs. Prof. She's over at a friend's and fellow cat lover's house. However, as long as Mrs. Prof maintained proper temperature control, her friend should be enjoying some Australian Tim-Tams. The lady is getting the third of three packs of Tim-Tams I ordered earlier. Mrs. Prof got the second, a pack of Dark Chocolate Tim-Tams, and devoured them on her own. I did in all but one of a pack of Black Forest Tim-Tams. The lady is getting just the regular kind.

I doubt I'll be eating Tim-Tams for dinner.

I will be eating some 20-year-old Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese next week, once it arrives. Can't wait.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I will be eating some 20-year-old Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese next week, once it arrives. Can't wait.

Oldest I've had was 5 year old white cheddar which had a pretty strong and salty taste, I wonder what 20 year old cheddar would be like.

I've also had 3 year old gouda which is quite different than the stuff that's only aged 6 months.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Oldest I've had was 5 year old white cheddar which had a pretty strong and salty taste, I wonder what 20 year old cheddar would be like.

I've also had 3 year old gouda which is quite different than the stuff that's only aged 6 months.

My favorite cheddar so far has been an Old Quebec 7 Year Old Reserve Cheddar. It gets a crystallization that's hard to match. Oldest I've had was 14 or so, and the 7 year old was better. I'm very interested to taste the 20 year old Wisconsin.

3 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My favorite cheddar so far has been an Old Quebec 7 Year Old Reserve Cheddar. It gets a crystallization that's hard to match. Oldest I've had was 14 or so, and the 7 year old was better. I'm very interested to taste the 20 year old Wisconsin.

Maybe you could ask the Pharaoh to share some of his 5000-year-old Egyptian Blue.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm in a state of dinner limbo at the moment, at the mercy of Mrs. Prof. She's over at a friend's and fellow cat lover's house.

Dinner turned out to be linguine and meat sauce with garlic cheese toast, made by the lady that Mrs. Prof was visiting. Not bad, but way more than I could hold. I just had a little more of it (no bread this time). There's still plenty left in the fridge.

Mrs. Prof gave the lady her Tim-Tams. As of Mrs. Prof's leaving, the lady hadn't opened the package yet. Don't know if she liked them or not.

And here I've been throwing out packages of colby-jack when they're beyond the Use By date....should just keep 'em in the back of the fridge for a decade, then sell them for medium bucks!

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And here I've been throwing out packages of colby-jack when they're beyond the Use By date....should just keep 'em in the back of the fridge for a decade, then sell them for medium bucks!

I have a feeling you're joking, but I'm pretty certain that aging cheese is a bit more complicated than just ignoring it for a while. ;)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I have a feeling you're joking, but I'm pretty certain that aging cheese is a bit more complicated than just ignoring it for a while. ;)

No kidding. In order to properly prepare Egyptian Blue for the long millenniae of maturation, you need a circle of at least a dozen chanting priests to carry out the preservation rituals and administer the sacred unctions. And then of course you have to wrap it in bandages, too.

Ask the Pharaoh if you don't believe me.

I have good feelings about Sonic. Here is why.  David is my brother.  And where he says 15 years, this was written a long time ago.  He posts in every April 19th.

Fifteen years ago I was lying in bed reading when there was a loud noise and the house shook. I initially thought that a car had hit the house. I lived in Oklahoma City and I was three and half miles away from the Murrah Federal Building.

Within a couple of hours I was scrubbed in surgery at St. Anthony's. I was no longer an employee, having parted ways with the hospital almost a year earlier. I was part of three separate teams working at the same time on the most seriously wounded patient. I've been scrubbing for almost twenty years. I remember two patient names. This woman is one of them. (The other was named David Stapleton.)

At one point I went to see if I could help in instrument processing. St Anthony's was the nearest hospital to the federal building. (Close enough that the hospital building itself had minor damage.) Hundreds of walking wounded had found their way to the St. Anthony ER. Almost all of them had severe lacerations. The average hospital stocks maybe thirty suture trays. Luanna, the scrub in charge of processing, had her staff opening every tray we wouldn't being using that day, the GYN instrument and the like, and reassembling them into suture trays: Two hemostats, a needle holder, a pair of scissors and some forceps.

When I came out of surgery, I was surprised to find bags full of Sonic hamburgers. Someone at Sonic had figured that there would be a lot of people working a lot of hours at the hospitals who would not have much chance to eat. They made and sent thousands of burgers to every hospital in town without being asked.

Today I will say a prayer for the souls of the departed and a prayer for the continued health of the survivors and families. And I'll eat at Sonic.

As a side note, I posted this to BofhNet many years ago, which caused a Swedish bofh to stop at a Sonic on the 1st or 2nd day of a six-week long "drive across America" vacation.  His kids liked Sonic so much that he changed his route a little so that they would be in a town with a Sonic as often as possible

Spicy meatball sub with onions, jalapeños, and datil pepper sauce.

The sore spot where I bit my lip finally healed.

By the way, "Egyptian Blue" wasn't a type of cheese. It was a kind of music that never became very popular. Fortunately, the other Memphis on that other river was able to do something worthwhile with that genre. Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Two polish sausage sandwiches with cheese (just the Kraft sliced cheese, nothing fancy), romane lettuce and tomato.

Also a tall glass of chocolate milk.

Some sort of roast beef (I think?) sandwich Mrs. Prof brought back from Jimmy John's. She's been out and about, doing "cat roundup" stuff for the T-N-R program today. More roundup stuff coming after she gets in a short nap.

/* cue the "Herding Cats" Super Bowl commercial */

Gonna be having roast beef for supper in a bit, not 500 degree roast, but a slow cooker roast with potatoes cooked along with it, there's a pepper squash in the oven with butter and brown sugar cooking into it.

About to be having BBQ strip loin steak with grilled asparagus and baked potatoes, then for desert a lemon cream cake and ice cream.

Ding! Level 38.

Had something surprisingly good last night, from Arby's. Yes, Arby's. Quit laughing, or quit barfing, whichever you're doing. This shocked the hell out of me, too.

Their Pork Belly sandwich.

Yes, I've looked at the nutritional info. I am unapologetic, since it's a limited-time offer and I probably won't be able to get it again.

But damn, it was good. Best fast food I've had in a very, very long time.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Just drank a cup of coffee. Now I feel sleepy. WTF?

Government cutbacks. They slashed 40% of the caffeine budget. But since the cuts were unevenly distributed, there is a good chance of getting coffee that is entirely decaf. Especially if you live in Minnesota, Texas or Eastern Zealand.