• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Churros

Crispy fried cake rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

I remember when Doughnuts used to be like that.  Now they're a puffy delivery vehicle for glaze and/or frosting.  Used to be that the puffy rolls were at least filled with something.

Tim Hortons has the classic Boston Cream, a Maple Cream and raspberry jam filled. Sometimes they even have Nutella filled.

I made a sauce less pasta dish using the leftover of two boxes of pasta, two packages of tuna, some lime juice, horseradish and some soysause.

For Reasons.  I've been out of sugar, flour, dairy products and any thing remotely looking like "not passed it time" in the freezer.  I've been forced to experiment with weird things to make pasta "sauses" with.  The two best is the Cream of Mushroom Soup/Pasta pie.  (fill 9" pie plate with dry pasta.  Cover with CoM and one can of water, put in 350 oven for about 40 min) and Sesame Oil and poppy seed pasta salad. (make pasta.  drain and chill, add oil until it looks like all of the pasta has some, dump a couple of tea spoons of poppy seeds into the mix, plus a dash or two of both lime juice and Fire Oil. 

I get my  check in roughly 28 hours.  I'm making pizza order from hell in 28.5 hours.

I'm making an experiment right now.  Trying to cook oatmeal with Apple Cinnamon tea for the water.

[Edit]

Do not do this.  At least not without sugar at least.

Mrs. Prof made another Sam's Club run. This time, she brought back some kind of weird chocolate vs. peanut butter generic Chex mix. Not bad, but probably bad as hell for you. Wish she'd brought home cottage cheese instead.

Yesterday about 11 PM I put a spiced pork loin in a zip-lock bag and placed it in a deep-fryer full of water and carefully adjusted (with guidance from a cooking thermometer) to 180 degrees F. It sat on top of the stove all night, got briefly unplugged and moved elsewhere so I could cook breakfast, and later was briefly unplugged again to be moved outside.

So by 3 PM today that loin had been cooking for about 16 hours. Protected from being burned (by a fairly low temperature) and from drying out (by being sealed in a plastic bag).

Definitely tender.

Unfortunately, the spice mix it had been packaged with was a "black pepper and garlic" thing, to which we had two responses: (1) too much pepper, and (2) where's the garlic?

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Yesterday about 11 PM I put a spiced pork loin in a zip-lock bag and placed it in a deep-fryer full of water and carefully adjusted (with guidance from a cooking thermometer) to 180 degrees F. It sat on top of the stove all night, got briefly unplugged and moved elsewhere so I could cook breakfast, and later was briefly unplugged again to be moved outside.

So by 3 PM today that loin had been cooking for about 16 hours. Protected from being burned (by a fairly low temperature) and from drying out (by being sealed in a plastic bag).

Definitely tender.

Unfortunately, the spice mix it had been packaged with was a "black pepper and garlic" thing, to which we had two responses: (1) too much pepper, and (2) where's the garlic?

Have you tried any of the myriad barbecue rub recipes out there? I don't know how well they'd work with sous vide, but they might be worth a try. From what region of the country do you emanate, if you don't mind me asking?

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

from the Keurig 2.0 compatible cup. For some reason, it's not as good as their  Keurig 1.0 compatible

The sequel is rarely as good as the original.

Shouldn't make a difference since the same grounds are being used, but in this case you're right.

Fresh Roasted Coffee dot com's Black Knight Dark Roast coffee, Keurig 2.0. Bought it on a whim, based on a coupon they sent that included free shipping. Lives up to its name in darkness, but I think that's just a whim of the roaster as well. Bitter taste, even with creamer and sweetener. Tastes like slightly burnt walnuts. Not too many redeeming values on the first cup. Hoping it gets better, because I've got 17 more of these buggers to go through.

Mrs. Prof tried a couple of cups of Black Knight. She's come to a similar conclusion: it's just too dark. I'm trying a second cup with more creamer and an extra packet of Equal. Now it tastes salty, for some unknown reason. I don't think we'll be finishing off this box.

I've never been a coffee drinker.  I'm one of those who finds the taste an incredible betrayal of the promise of the scent.  It just tastes awful, no matter how good a dessert it's added to it will ruin it, and no amount of cream and sugar can salvage even the mildest coffee I've tried.

However, once, at an Eritrean restaurant, after an excellent meal of unfamiliar but tasty foods, when they offered an Eritrean coffee, I accepted, and tried it, and didn't hate it.  It wasn't an Earth-shattering revelation, but I did like it enough to finish my portion.  What's weird is that it was a very intense brew, like an espresso, but also what should have been overcooked as well.  I have no idea why this particular coffee didn't get my usual reaction.

I'd go back there and try it again, except the place closed shortly afterwards.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm one of those who finds the taste an incredible betrayal of the promise of the scent.

I suppose I qualify as one of those also - the scent promises that the stuff will be merely unpleasant, but when I take a sip it's disgusting.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are a lot of scents I enjoy that I would not care to consume.

Pine Needles, New Car, Coffee, Binturong

Most people who've tasted frankincense would put it at or near the top of that list.