• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

On 9/9/2017 at 7:30 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

as long as it's not Velveeta queso.

Read the package. It says it contains "process cheese food".

I have no idea what a process cheese is. But the things, whatever they are, eat Velveeta.

13 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Read the package. It says it contains "process cheese food".

I have no idea what a process cheese is. But the things, whatever they are, eat Velveeta.

Maybe they are a bit like Horace the Cheese. Though it should be said that Horace will eat just about anything that gets in his way, including other cheeses.

With my recent investment in teas in mind, I felt I needed to get a clear teacup so I could see what I was drinking. Easier said than done via Amazon. I dd finally settle on something though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBUUH9V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 15oz, it's tall, and there's no handle, but it's dishwasher safe (BIG plus) and gets the job done. It can multitask if I want to drink a tall coffee or a small beer (when that comes back). And, it's aesthetically pleasing. I'm happy with it on first use.

Trying my first cup of jasmine flower herbal tea. Nothing but 1½ tsp. of jasmine flowers, steeped for 7 minutes with 17oz. water just below boiling.

First impression: hot flowers.

Second impression: more flowers.

Third, fourth, and etc. impressions: flowers.

While I love jasmine tea, I'm starting to think I need the tea to make the experience complete.

Later impressions as the drink cools down: herbal notes. The waxiness from the superhot flowers is diminishing.

Note: do not let it backwash up your nose.

Later: the jasmine note that I seek from jasmine tea is starting to appear. The only problem is that it's taken half of the entire batch to get to this point. I'm full.

Experimentation time. I have a glass of Crystal Light lemon tea next to the jasmine. Let's mix. Not bad. Needs more ice. I'm still full.

Thus endeth the lesson.

I am now drinking Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea. Two teaspoons in twelve ounces of water, steeped at around 195°F for 90 seconds (30 seconds longer than the recommended minimum).

I find nothing wrong with it.

Seriously, it's just a very strong tea with a hint of brisket. I like strong tea. I like brisket. The two seem to mix rather well, even when hot.

I might go up to a 2 minute steep, but I'm not sure how far I'd go beyond that. I don't like resin, which I think might slip in if I steep it any longer.

8 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I find nothing wrong with it.

Seriously, it's just a very strong tea with a hint of brisket. I like strong tea. I like brisket. The two seem to mix rather well, even when hot.

There are people that don't respond well to the idea of BBQ Tea.  I don't understand why, but I know they exists.

Hmmm.   Lapsang Souchong made into ice tea for a BBQ.  Need to try that some time. 

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

There are people that don't respond well to the idea of BBQ Tea.  I don't understand why, but I know they exists.

Hmmm.   Lapsang Souchong made into ice tea for a BBQ.  Need to try that some time.

If you were south of the Red River, you'd have to make it sweet tea. I have *no* idea how that would work, and I don't think I would want to try it.

I feel like I've passed a test, like I did when I had my first taste of Vegemite and liked it.

2 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If you were south of the Red River, you'd have to make it sweet tea. I have *no* idea how that would work, and I don't think I would want to try it.

s/Red River/Oklahoma - Kansas state line/g

As it happens I add sugar, granted not a lot, to Lapsang Souchong when drink it hot as well, so not quite full on "sweet tea", but sugared and iced might still work.  Will try it "Real Soon Now" (tm Jerry Pournelle, RIP)

Going for another cup of Lapsang Souchong. This one a bit stronger—I finished off the 7g packet and steeped it for 1:45s. Makes the house smell a bit like a smokehouse. Mrs. Prof's sinuses are clogged, so she can't tell.

I wonder if I can get a second steep out of the leaves ...

17 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I wonder if I can get a second steep out of the leaves

You might, but it will be, if I recall correctly, both weak and bitter.

Some teas are fine to rebrew several times, usually white teas seem to be good for three or four, but maybe that's because they're so much nicer than blacks in the first place; can't really say whether those nasty black teas get worse quickly or not 'cos even the first brew usually seems way too bitter to me.  ;-P

I easily go through >200 of pu'erh a year, and the pu'erh I'm used to is good for at least four brewings - usually five.

(The stuff I have right now occasionally manages 4 decent cups, but sometimes even the second is lame.)

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The next size up was 100g, though. I don't think I could go through that in a year. Maybe two.

That's only 4 oz.  That lasts me about 3-4 months.

23 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The next size up was 100g, though. I don't think I could go through that in a year. Maybe two.

I just opened a new box of 160 PGTips tea bags.  Weight is 500g, which makes 100g about 32 or so.

I can do that in a two weeks.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I just opened a new box of 160 PGTips tea bags.  Weight is 500g, which makes 100g about 32 or so.

I can do that in a two weeks.

I hereby move that we declare mlooney to be the forum's official Tea Monster. If Sesame Street can have a Cookie Monster, we can have a Tea Monster. :demonicduck:

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Given that he drinks tea from bags instead of loose-leaf, I'll accept him being granted the title of Tea Monster.

And yes, he may retaliate by calling me a Tea Snob if he so wishes.  ;-)

I drink tea, both from bags and loose-leaf, just for the record.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I drink tea, both from bags and loose-leaf, just for the record.

Do you have any plans of trying some of the cake (i.e., brick) tea from Teavivre?

I had a discussion with my son about that place. Once the temperatures drop, he's going to try ordering some matcha supplies from them. Even with the shipping, they're cheaper than his current supplier, he said.

BTW, my son and I also had an off-the-cuff discussion about the odd varieties Teavivre carries. I joked about black peppercorn tea, since he mentioned he likes pepper on everything. He Googled up a recipe for black peppercorn tea and said he might try it. Me? Not in a million years. Bleaugh.

I've been seeing commercials for Red Lobster's Endless Shrimp promotion.  I love their shrimp scampi and their coconut shrimp, so the idea of having large amounts of both is quite appealing.  However, it feels like too much of an extravagance to do frequently, and I'm trying (trying) to watch what I eat within reason.  So, I've been resisting the urge to just go and pig out, especially since I was rather lazy this weekend.

Wenesday, I went for a short walk at lunch.  Short, both due to time constraints, and due to it being in the 90s and I didn't want to get my scrubs too sweaty.  I enjoyed it, despite the temperature, and so Thursday I brought a bag with a pair of shorts and a light bare-shouldered (and upper-arm-concealing) blouse, an outfit I'd worn in Orlando comfortably.  I sprayed on a boatload of sunscreen, donned a hat and put headphones in my iPad, and headed out around 12:40-12:45pm (lunch is theoretically noon to two but rarely am I free right at noon).  And I proceeded to walk all the way down to the park near the next major street over.  I stuck to shade as much as I could, and kept a decent pace, just like when doing the breast cancer walks.  Drank my whole large water bottle and refilled it at the park.  It felt good, and I wound up walking for over an hour before coming back, sponging off, and changing back into my work duds.  I never got around to getting lunch and had no time left to eat it anyway, but I wasn't all that hungry until the end of the day.

Well, after all that exercise, I felt virtuous, and I also craved meat, as often happens with me after a workout.  When a near-miracle occurred and I was also done working relatively early, I decided now, when my metabolism was revved up by exercise and my body needed protein to build muscle, was as good a time as any to go eat shrimp.  The nearest Red Lobster is almost half an hour away, but it's also open until 10pm.  I had scampi and I had coconut shrimp, and I tried their new spicy one (good!) and their new "Mediterranian" skewer (bland), and I had scampi and coconut shrimp.  And scampi.  I ate a bunch of green leaves and some whipped sweet potato in there, too.  The biscuits came home with me and I had them for breakfast today.

Picture a cat stretched out in a sunbeam, purring, and that's me last night. :-)

An era has passed. I am ingesting Costa Rican Tarrazu coffee with the very last of the SToK caffeine booster shots. I think the original box was 50 or 100, something like that, all shelf-stable. They're all shelf-gone now.

BTW, I've gone a bit mad over transparent double-walled insulated glass coffee and tea mugs/cups lately. I've been buying them from the ApexCreations storefront on Amazon. So far I've bought a 16oz coffee mug (tall w/no handle) and a pair of 13.5oz tea cups (standard height, w/handles). They keep giving me coupons for doing reviews. Mrs. Prof is getting pissed off at me, saying we've got too many coffee/tea cups already. My reply is that they're cups that we never use. Also, I've decided that I want to see what I'm drinking, especially with the Lapsang Souchong. She said she doesn't want to see what she's drinking. Stalemate. Oh well. At least I can see my jasmine tea now—nice, golden color. The Lapsang Souchong was a kick to see as well. Too bad I only had two servings of it.

Sounds like she can still use the old mugs, and you can use the new ones.  As long as you don't break the bank buying more than you can use or afford, seems perfectly reasonable.  And if you don't need two tea cups, you can sell me one when we eventually have an EGS-con.  ;-)