• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

I'm about to go have fried chicken.  Fresh Fried chicken.  They prep, but don't fry until they get an order.   Time from fryer to your plate?  Roughly 30 seconds.   Need to let it cool down before you can eat it.

It's also where my niece works, so service is a bit strange, as I'm going there with David, her father.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm about to go have fried chicken.  Fresh Fried chicken.  They prep, but don't fry until they get an order.   Time from fryer to your plate?  Roughly 30 seconds.   Need to let it cool down before you can eat it.

It's also where my niece works, so service is a bit strange, as I'm going there with David, her father.

Went to one of the other big 3 chicken places, so didn't have my niece as waitstaff.   Very good chicken.  Extremely good coleslaw, if you like garlic in you coleslaw.  Good German potato salad.

An Australian packet stew. Continental Beef and Red Wine Casserole Recipe Base. Mrs. Prof had tonight off, so we cooked dinner together. I made the casserole on the stovetop, using plain old stew meat, while she mixed a salad packet and microwaved a frozen mashed cauliflower dish that tasted like very good (but a bit runny) mashed potatoes. The whole thing reminded me of a slightly sweet curry, but with onions and mushrooms instead of curry vegetables. Recommended.

"kettle corn flavoring" added after the cooking phase of popcorn makes sweet popcorn, however it's not kettle corn.

Pairs well with PGTips Tea, with milk and sugar.

13 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Trying to decide if I want rice with sugar and jam or rice with bacon/cheddar flavoured salt.

The idea that a meat and cheese flavoured any thing is kosher is weird. The fact that bacon/cheddar popcorn flavouring is kosher is just odd. Yet, there is a "kosher/dairy" icon on the shaker.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The idea that a meat and cheese flavoured any thing is kosher is weird. The fact that bacon/cheddar popcorn flavouring is kosher is just odd. Yet, there is a "kosher/dairy" icon on the shaker.

Artificial flavouring does allow for things like that.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Artificial flavouring does allow for things like that.

True, and what they are calling "bacon flavour" is really "smoke flavour", which is why they can get away with saying "no artificial flavours" on it as well.

Nevertheless, should have done the sugar and jam version.   That bowl of rice was less than optimal.

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

True, and what they are calling "bacon flavour" is really "smoke flavour", which is why they can get away with saying "no artificial flavours" on it as well.

That too. Not sure about the cheddar flavour though.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That too. Not sure about the cheddar flavour though.

Well, cheddar is the 1st thing listed, before the salt even, but really it's smoke and salt flavour with cheese undertones.

I'm having trouble getting the salt and/or sugar right on my rice.  The last two bowls of rice have been less than optimal.

[edit to add]

But I got the tea/sugar ratio exactly right on the ice tea.  So there is that.

[/edit]

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, cheddar is the 1st thing listed, before the salt even, but really it's smoke and salt flavour with cheese undertones.

If the stuff actually had any pork in it then it would definitely NOT be kosher.

The combination of any real meat and any real dairy is not kosher, but fake meat (that contains no animal flesh) and real dairy could be okay.

@mlooney, I placed another order from the TeaVivre place and got a couple of brick/cake teas as free samples. Specifically, I got 10g samples of 10-Year Aged Raw Pu-erh Brick Tea (2005) and Fuding Shou Mei White Tea Cake (2011). They're small samples, but I still want to get the most out of them. What's the best way to prepare them?

Pu-erh, the way I do it: Use really hot water and a tea ball. The first steeping takes maybe 45 seconds to a minute. The second, when you're finished pouring use your other hand to pull the tea ball out - it's done already. The third, fourth, and fifth (yes, sometimes it's good for five, and for the really old stuff I've heard of people going for six or even seven but when you're talking a 10-gram sample like that costing a couple hundred US dollars...) take progressively longer from that starting point.

The traditional way: be sure to use a teapot and strainer. First steeping, pour water into the pot directly onto the leaves from fairly high up. Immediately dump the liquid down the sink. Refill the pot, a low pour this time, and let it steep until you like the color. You can repeat the latter as long as you get color and flavor you like.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

@mlooney, I placed another order from the TeaVivre place and got a couple of brick/cake teas as free samples. Specifically, I got 10g samples of 10-Year Aged Raw Pu-erh Brick Tea (2005) and Fuding Shou Mei White Tea Cake (2011). They're small samples, but I still want to get the most out of them. What's the best way to prepare them?

Don't ask me.  I use loose leaf tea or teabags.

10 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The traditional way: be sure to use a teapot and strainer. First steeping, pour water into the pot directly onto the leaves from fairly high up. Immediately dump the liquid down the sink. Refill the pot, a low pour this time, and let it steep until you like the color. You can repeat the latter as long as you get color and flavor you like.

Noted, given I don't have a tea ball, just a pot with it's own strainer and a sort of weird thing that's hard to describe.

I'm having a cup of coffee that I made before dawn.   (Note:it's almost lunch time my time).  And, for the first time is about 2 year, my old coffee isn't cold.  I has a happy!

[edit] I had a happy, until I read the news.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Don't ask me.  I use loose leaf tea or teabags.

Oh, sorry - I thought it was you who did the tea bricks.

Sorry, @Don Edwards, you were the person I meant to ask. Thanks for your reply. I have a question.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Pu-erh, the way I do it: Use really hot water and a tea ball. The first steeping takes maybe 45 seconds to a minute. The second, when you're finished pouring use your other hand to pull the tea ball out - it's done already. The third, fourth, and fifth (yes, sometimes it's good for five, and for the really old stuff I've heard of people going for six or even seven but when you're talking a 10-gram sample like that costing a couple hundred US dollars...) take progressively longer from that starting point.

I'll probably be using the traditional way, since I use one of the IngenuiTEA devices from Adagio Teas. (Please check the link for the IngenuiTEA device.) If I'm using it, then following your instructions I'll drain the device immediately into the sink on the first fill, and then drink what comes from subsequent steepings, right?

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Oh, sorry - I thought it was you who did the tea bricks.

Sorry, @Don Edwards, you were the person I meant to ask. Thanks for your reply. I have a question.

I'll probably be using the traditional way, since I use one of the IngenuiTEA devices from Adagio Teas. (Please check the link for the IngenuiTEA device.) If I'm using it, then following your instructions I'll drain the device immediately into the sink on the first fill, and then drink what comes from subsequent steepings, right?

Yes, that should be about the same.