• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Right now, I really desperately want a "Lunchable" or two.  With the "way too convenient " story across the street I'll be getting some come midnight, when I get paid.   Might get some milk for my tea while I am at it.  And a bag of pretzels.   And maybe some beef jerky.

Who am I kidding?  Getting all of the above.

I just ate about half a bag of black liquorice. 

This is something I need to keep in mind for the next couple of trips to the toilet.  The dye doesn't break down an it make your poop green or blue

I think I may have come up with a use for the Jasmine Flowers I got as an "herbal tea" (i.e., pure jasmine flowers) from TeaVivre. I've still got some jasmine oolong from Teavana, so I've taken a couple of scoops of jasmine flowers and added them to the Teavana mix. First attempt wasn't a 100% success, since the flowers "float" on top of the tea in the bag. I got more flowers than I did tea. A bit better mixing is called for on my next attempt.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like seafood dredged in cracker meal? Dear God. Mrs. Prof went out on a meeting/dinner with some of the pet adoption center people last night, and as usual, she brought me home a plate from where she went. Well, where she went was a seafood restaurant. She ordered me a plate of fried oysters and fried shrimp.

I don't normally use cocktail sauce, but that was the only way to make this stuff edible. The shrimp was good once I got past the cracker meal, but the oysters/cracker meal combination turned out bitter because it had cooled down. There was a lot of it, and I tried to make it through all of it, but in the end I had a Zofran emergency due to the volume of seafood.

I'd prefer no coating to cracker meal coating. It's that bad. Cornmeal coating is almost as bad (my grandfather loved cornmeal-coated fried catfish). Don't like either one, but at least I can tolerate cornmeal coating.

I usually peel off as much of the breading as I can on almost anything that comes covered in it.  Fried chicken, that has the added benefit of removing the skin.  Some things, like onion rings, I'll leave maybe a quarter of the breading on.  This does mean that if I go somewhere like Long John Silver's (no comments, please) then I'll end up ordering more food than I would otherwise, because I'm not actually eating a good portion of it, but I like variety anyway, so I'll get a little chicken, a little shrimp, a little clams, something like that.  (That's why I like Chinese buffets, too, the variety of stuff I can get at once.)

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Fried chicken, that has the added benefit of removing the skin.

Fried chicken skin is the best part of the chicken.  :P~~~

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Fried chicken skin is the best part of the chicken.  :P~~~

Hello, Mr. Sprat!  Or should I call you Jack?

Hmm, although, maybe you're more of the Mrs. Sprat role here....

Either way, we should split a bucket of chicken sometime.  ;-)

A mix of Costa Rican Tarrazu and an extremely dark roast coffee called "Black Knight" from my Keurig. I'm drinking it now because I've got an appointment with my hematologist at 1:30 p.m. CDT, and it's just prior to 8 hours before that appointment. No one's told me, but I'm guessing that I shouldn't have coffee with creamer in it after this time. I think I'm going to have to go water-only, but no one has called and said this. I'll call and check.

EDIT: Nope. I could eat.

Just got this in from Amazon. Tiptree's "Tawny" Orange Marmalade. Supposed to be made from a bitter breed of orange. I've had regular marmalade before, so this intrigued me. (Hell, all unusual fruit jams/preserves/jellies intrigue me, although I won't try all (e.g., jalapeño).) Took a small bite before letting it refrigerate. I noticed the unusually thick cut. Then it hit me.

BITTER BITTER BITTER BITTER BITTER

Then it settled down. It started to develop redeeming qualities. An unusual orange flavor, strong in some notes, while missing some of the others you'd expect in a sweet orange. Not an unpleasant balance, just a different one.

The jar is now in the fridge, recovering from the record high 96°F temperature it's been sitting in today. It awaits its cousin, a jar of Tiptree Little Scarlet Strawberry Conserve (supposedly James Bond's favorite) that should arrive on Wednesday. Like I said, I'm an adventurer when it comes to this sort of thing.

Quince and Medlar are rather good, BTW. :)

EDIT: Confirmed. Colder Tawny Orange marmalade on a bread product is *much* better than straight out of the jar. The thick shreds (which are Valencia orange, BTW, apparently cooked to a "tawny" color—the only two ingredients are Valencia orange and sugar) blended right in with bread, or toast buttered with Plugra in the case of what I used to test it on. It went from an AAAUUUGGGHHH bitter to an aaaaaaah bitter. It does leave your mouth a tad puckered, though. ;)

Got an order from Adagio Teas today, which included a pack of pu erh "pearls." Instructions: steep one teaspoon in one cup at 212°F for 5 minutes.

I opened up the bag. Ha! The "pearls" fit an entire teaspoon, from the bottom to above. I boiled up a cup of water, dropped the "pearl" into my IngenuiTea brewer, and poured in the water.

WOW. I wasn't sure if I should toss the first brewing or not with the "pearl" in the brewer, so I kept it. However, I put a couple of crystals of Amber sugar that I also ordered, just in case.

On to the drinking ... hmm. Very dark. Too hot at first to get an impression. Later drinks taste like a cross between coffee and tea.

The "pearls" are supposedly five years old according to the website. Nothing like what I've got coming across from Teavivre. Probably why the first steep is drinkable.

Second steeping of the same pu erh pearl (dropping the "" now, who cares) has lost the coffee undertone. Tastes more like Very Strong Black Tea now, even with the repeated addition of Amber sugar crystals. Tastes better than it smells—there's a somewhat fishy smell to it. I hope that's not present in the really old stuff I've got coming from China.

I made Mrs. Prof a plate of Utah cheese and chocolate/cherry rustic crackers as an apology for asking her to knock it off already when she was rambling during the baseball game. The cheese and crackers came via a Woot! a couple of days ago that just arrived today. The cheese is something called "Seahive," rubbed with Utah salt. The order also included a cheese called Promontory, but it tastes too much like a fine cheddar with good crystallization to be put on the rustic crackers.

I put the pu erh leaves in the fridge so I can use them again tomorrow.

The Tiptree Little Scarlett strawberry conserve also arrived today. I was expecting something like Bonne Mamann's Wild Strawberry, but this is sweeter and more cloying. It needs a more substantial bread to stand up to it.

HA HA!

Mrs. Prof was getting on my case about my recent tea binge after I showed her one of the pu erh pearls. I told her I could use them five times over. She dared me to compare them to her bottled Nestea, which she gets at Sam's club.

It wasn't even close. Her bottled tea came in at 41¢ a bottle, while the pu erh came in at 30¢ a cup (based on 5 steeps per pearl). She gave an, "Oh, well ..." and went back to work. Didn't even acknowledge the difference. Bleh.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

She dared me to compare them to her bottled Nestea, which she gets at Sam's club.

"You see dear, mine is a fine tea.  Yours is a tea like substance"

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

It wasn't even close. Her bottled tea came in at 41¢ a bottle, while the pu erh came in at 30¢ a cup (based on 5 steeps per pearl). She gave an, "Oh, well ..." and went back to work. Didn't even acknowledge the difference. Bleh.

I dunno, but it sounds like a cost over time thing that gives a distorted perception, many people are OK with paying more for a single item occasionally, because paying for that item right then and there is cheaper than buying a bulk amount despite the fact that over the long run, you're paying less. If you put a soda vending machine with individual cans priced at 50c* a can next to a stack of 18 can packs of soda priced at $4.99**, chances are more people will use the vending machine even though the 18 pack cans are individually worth 28c each and they could have saved $4 if they bought the pack.

*The price per can from vending machines and other retail methods varies greatly, 50c is pretty reasonable considering that the vendor is trying to make some profit, but I know of some places that charge $2 a can (355ml).

**That's a sale price, normally 18 packs are like $7.99 which still amounts to 44c per can.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

"You see dear, mine is a fine tea.  Yours is a tea like substance"

My mate bought Pure Leaf brand bottled tea for quite a while. I like the bottles (they have square bottom sections, so pack together better than most bottles) and we've accumulated nearly a dozen of them which we refill frequently with water. However, I tasted the contents once... I don't regard the stuff as even a tea-like substance. It's vile.

Trying the sample of white tea pearls (not quite as big as the pu erh, but almost) that I got with my backup IngenuiTEA brewer. First brew was what I've always imagined fresh brewed white tea is supposed to taste like—light, clean, pure, the glorious essence of tea. It outshone the sushi I got from my local Chinese delivery place. The only problem with it was that it's supposed to be brewed at 180°F, and my Keurig will only go down to 187°. No big deal, just steep for a time on the short end on the scale (3-5 minutes).

Second steep wasn't as ecstatically good, but it was still pleasant. Third steep took it a bit too far: bitter notes came out. I guess you can only get two steeps from these things, unless @Don Edwards or someone else knows a trick to stretch it further.

Can you tell I'm having too much fun here?  :lol: