• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Some French Onion soup, with out the cheese or bread.  Not really right with out it.

[edit] Really not worth the time. Will get cheese and bread before I make that again.

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Fruitcake

Yes, I eat fruitcake

The traditionally mummified snack

I finished off mine Christmas night.  I seem to be the only member of my family that eats fruitcake.

Homemade Potato and Leek soup.

Had a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes and turkey stock from Christmas dinner. bought 5 medium leeks, cut most of the greens off, chopped the rest up and washed them in a pasta strainer to get the dirt out and break up the pieces, then I crush 1 large clove of garlic and in a large stewing pot, I cooked the leeks and garlic in olive oil until they were softened.

I then added the stock, some salt and pepper and brought it to a simmer before adding the mashed potatoes, a bit at a time so that I could get it broken up. I had to make up some more "stock" using a packet of club house instant turkey gravy that we had in the cupboard and added another 4 cups of that to the pot since what we originally had wasn't enough for all the potatoes I was using.

One I got it all mixed together as best I could, I then took it off the stove for a bit and used an electric emulsifier to really cream the potato and leeks together, then I put the pot back on the stove, added a bit more salt an pepper to taste and then threw a couple cups of diced cooked turkey.

I added a bit of grated parmesan cheese to my bowl for lunch, the rest is getting divided into single serving containers and frozen.

Now ingesting 19½ pills, plus one my pain pill I consumed about an hour ago. The half pill is Metformin: I'll take the other half tonight.

EDIT: only six of them are supplements. The rest are prescriptions.

Is the price of milk in free fall any where else?    A gallon of "whole" milk was $1.68 this after noon, which is down 30 cents from the last time I bought it.

Got one of my rare orders from a purveyor of British foods in the Houston area today. They tossed in a free pack of Chewits orange flavor. Mrs. Prof made the point that they taste like a Starburst. I agreed, except that they're much softer (perhaps due to one of their ingredients: " Hydrolysed Pea Protein." Odd, but last on the ingredients list.

To wash it down, I'm having my usual Crystal Light lemon tea, but with a big twist: I've added Ribena Blackcurrant concentrate to make blackcurrant lemon tea. They don't sell the stuff at regular strength. You have to dilute it by one part blackcurrant concentrate to four parts water. Not easy to mix with lemon juice and tea powder, but it sure tastes good when you do.

I also ordered something I'm going to use to prank a super-serious Doctor Who fan. I bought a couple of packs of Jammie Dodgers. Next time I go over to his house, I'm going to pull the prank from the episode when the Doctor used one to make the last two remaining Daleks think he had a destruct button for the Tardis. Should be hilarious.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

To wash it down, I'm having my usual Crystal Light lemon tea, but with a big twist: I've added Ribena Blackcurrant concentrate to make blackcurrant lemon tea. They don't sell the stuff at regular strength. You have to dilute it by one part blackcurrant concentrate to four parts water. Not easy to mix with lemon juice and tea powder, but it sure tastes good when you do.

Ah, that's the stuff they used to fake wine glasses of blood for the vampires on Forever Knight.  Geraint Wyn Davies said he'd get sick to his stomach from drinking it undiluted.  One recipe I've heard since then to make it more tolerable, and more properly opaque, is to mix in some chocolate syrup.  :-)

I also ordered something I'm going to use to prank a super-serious Doctor Who fan. I bought a couple of packs of Jammie Dodgers. Next time I go over to his house, I'm going to pull the prank from the episode when the Doctor used one to make the last two remaining Daleks think he had a destruct button for the Tardis. Should be hilarious.

Ooh, go for it!  See if you can get video of their reaction!  And finish up by demanding fish fingers and custard.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ooh, go for it!  See if you can get video of their reaction!  And finish up by demanding fish fingers and custard.

I bought half of that as well:

51uaxchvOZL._SY355_.jpg

Didn't buy the fish fingers, though.

8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Didn't buy the fish fingers, though.

I've seen web sites that list alternatives that look similar but taste better together.  Perhaps french toast sticks?  That's the only one I recall off-hand, but there were several, as well as several things that look like custard but actually go with fish sticks.

Several restaurants that serve seafood around here include "Fish Fingers", and they were a favourite of my dad.

Now to be honest, I am not an ichthyologists.  But most fish of which I am aware do not have fingers.
Thus I am reluctant to consume this particular delicacy.

It is for a similar reason that I refrain from chicken fingers.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Several restaurants that serve seafood around here include "Fish Fingers", and they were a favourite of my dad.

Now to be honest, I am not an ichthyologists.  But most fish of which I am aware do not have fingers.
Thus I am reluctant to consume this particular delicacy.

It is for a similar reason that I refrain from chicken fingers.

You don't see fish or chicken with fingers because they were already harvested, it's all part of their "Catch and Release" program. It may sound cruel but fingerless chicken and fish are able to live long afterwards.

At least until it's time to get the rest of the meat.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

You don't see fish or chicken with fingers because they were already harvested, it's all part of their "Catch and Release" program. It may sound cruel but fingerless chicken and fish are able to live long afterwards.

That is the harvesting plan for Stone Crab Claws.
And those I do enjoy.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That is the harvesting plan for Stone Crab Claws.
And those I do enjoy.

My grandfather and I caught a stone crab off Rockport back in the 1970s—the city that got the direct category 5 hit from Hurricane Harvey last year. Anyway, the catch was part of a slim trap: just one blue crab and one stone crab. He didn't know what the stone crab was, and he knew the blue crab wasn't enough to feed even one person, so we released the lot back into the Gulf of Mexico.

I remember the first time I saw those on a menu. I asked the waiter what they were, expecting to hear they were some part of the buffalo. I was disappointed to find out they were mere chicken. Didn't order them.

My Ribena Blackcurrant concentrate is all gone. Turns out it was a sugary drink that put a couple of pounds back on me. DELICIOUS, yes. Will I reorder? Not unless they make a sugar-free version that's available in the States.

EDIT: They DO make a sugar-free version. I've contacted Goodwoods down in Houston to see if they can import some.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Don't forget about the buffalo wings....those are so overharvested that you almost never see a buffalo that still has its wings!

First time I actually saw "buffalo wings" - having been for some years an aficionado of mildly spicy, but not vinegary, chicken wings - I thought they were unusually small. For chicken wings. So I commented that it was no wonder flying buffalo are extinct.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I've got two cups of grits, eight cups of water, and a handful of salt in a rice cooker. Lord only knows if it's going to produce anything edible.

It made some of the best grits I've ever had, although it needed lots of salt and butter. We haven't had grits in years, so I went back for a second bowl. One bowl too many - I had a Zofran emergency. Trust me to know how to screw up a good time. Oh, well. At least Mrs. Prof got grits that she thoroughly enjoyed.

Yup, rice cookers can cook a lot of different things, and cook them well!  Last novel thing I tried was teff, which is the smallest grain in the world.  Tasted kind of nutty, with a unique texture.